PDA

View Full Version : Does Alissa Czisny need a new choreographer?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Vash01
12-10-2011, 08:20 AM
The real problem, IMO, is not the music, but the fact that there's nothing in between the elements. That, plus all of the jumps are awkward, tentative, small, and poorly landed -- all of which slow down the program even more.

Alissa is an elegant skater, but the overall effect of her skating is, to me, quite juniorish even though she has been a senior for, what, ten-plus years now?

That's a little harsh. I don't think her overall skating is juniorish. It's just that she looks nervous going into a jump and it impacts the impression she creates, even when she lands the jump. If she had more transitions she might get even more nervous about the jumps. Once they are out of the way, we see a different skater who is confident in her spins. That's the level of confidence she needs to get in her jumps and she will look like a completely different skater. I don't think any choreographer is going to give her confidence. She has to do it for herself.

Interestingly, right now this poll is split 20-20.

viennese
12-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Morozov?
I always wondered how she'd look blond.

A frightening idea, Czisny doing Morosov choreography with shock blond hair.

smarts1
12-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I remember someone on here said they saw Mirai and Alissa perform together on a tour, and they saw that Alissa was very stiff in her upper body, while Mirai used her upper body very well.

It's true. Alissa is landing her jumps more frequently now, but she's always has been cautious, a little languid, somewhat reserved across the ice. Her LP last was the perfect vehicle for her to mask that, but this year's programs have not been good to her weaknesses.

JAF
12-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't get all the Czisny love. One tiny improvement and everyone gives her these huge praises, like she's very fragile and has very low self esteem. She looks like she's scared to death when she skates, very tentative and slow. I don't know why her PCS are so high.
Have to agree with most of your assessment.

Alissa doesn't progress, you know her program, music, and skating skills year after year. Can't blame fans for calling her boring.

Don't know if she has low self esteem, but she does look scared to death when she skates, so if looks scared to death with the "same ole, same ole" what would the look be with something entirely different then "same ole, same ole"?

orbitz
12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't get all the Czisny love. One tiny improvement and everyone gives her these huge praises, like she's very fragile and has very low self esteem.

What make you conclude that Alisa has "low self esteem" ? I've never heard her put herself down in interviews.

haribobo
12-10-2011, 06:47 PM
if looks scared to death with the "same ole, same ole" what would the look be with something entirely different then "same ole, same ole"?

Happy and excited? I don't think its right to avoid trying new things for that reason. Even Zhang and Flatt have shown more willingness to experiment than Alissa as of late. Granted it is easy to remain complacent when you are getting the marks...we'll see if there's anyone that can challenge her at Nationals...I recognize that Alissa is one of our best- I just want her to be inspired to be more original and put more stuff in her programs. There's more cool skating moves going on in 1 Jason Brown short program than Alissa's whole career I think.

kwanette
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I think Alissa's short program this year is lovely as well as her long program last year which I thought expressed the music very well. However, her long program this year seems really empty and the music, although a great piece on its own, I don't think works well for Alissa. It just seems to drag.

Valse Triste is too "UN" to be a lp. It probably would have worked as a sp, as it did for Johnny Weir. I loved both of Alissa's programs last yr, I like her sp this yr, but the lp..is kind of endless...tho' not as bad as Fosse, the 20 minute version.;)

centerpt1
12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I think perhaps more will be added to her LP before Nationals. I loved her LP last year, but this year's is a bit barren.

My plan? Have Abbott do a show program for her, if that works, then Sato/Abbott can do her LP next year. They know her skating well, and can perhaps add some creative, modern life, while still keeping it within her comfort zone.

pinky166
12-10-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Carlemango choreo on anyone, really. Alissa's programs this season and SP from last season, Michal's FS this season, Tomas's FS from last season and SP for this season, all just meh and bland for me.

neptune
12-11-2011, 12:21 AM
I don't get all the Czisny love.

I think a lot of it boils down to two things:

1) Alissa is very pretty.
2) Her skating is very feminine.

Traditionally, any woman who could jump decently and met the criteria above was usually pretty popular. I mean, how popular would Nancy Kerrigan have been otherwise? If excitement is what folks were really after, they could've just stopped by for dinner at Tonya and Jeff's. ;)

RD
12-11-2011, 02:56 AM
The thing about Czisny is that with all the criticisms here- it's not stopping her from getting great scores when she hits. So, really for her- the only thing she has to do is LAND THOSE JUMPS and boom, she's a world medal contender. Can't say the same for, say, Wagner and definitely can't say the same for Flatt. So those skaters likely have more room to experiment, grow and improve.

I think a lot of [the Czisny love] boils down to two things:

1) Alissa is very pretty.
2) Her skating is very feminine.

#1 is very subjective and will depend on the viewer. But I think her persona contributes to it as well.

OrioleBeagle
12-11-2011, 03:01 AM
It would be interesting to see Jeremy Abbott and Yuka co-choreograph a program for Alissa!

DimaToe
12-11-2011, 04:28 AM
I think a better question at this point is, Should Alissa Czisny go back to her LP from last season for the rest of this season?

moebius
12-11-2011, 06:23 AM
What make you conclude that Alisa has "low self esteem" ? I've never heard her put herself down in interviews.
I didn't say she had low self esteem. I just said she get huge praises for tiny improvements as if had low self esteem, since people with low self esteem need constant praises to build their confidence.

VIETgrlTerifa
12-11-2011, 06:35 AM
I absolutely love the SP this season. It's the LP that's an utter bore. Her LP last season was a joy to watch.