PDA

View Full Version : Does Alissa Czisny need a new choreographer?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

AliasJohnDoe
12-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I love the choreography of Alissa's SP. It's my favorite SP of the season....Along with Carolina's.

It's the LP that could use a bit more CH and TR's.

doubleflutz
12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Almost every single program she's ever skated has looked alike to me. Granted, all skaters have a style, but hers seems really overwhelming.

But I think the emptiness in her programs this season has more to do with her technical issues and attempting to cement her improved solidity from last season. Parts of Adam's programs are pretty bare/front-loaded, and even Jeremy's long program, which is very ambitious, is more about doing simple things really well than extremely complicated difficulty. I think the relative emptiness of the program is a strategic choice by Yuka and Jason, and I honestly think it's the right choice. As dull and bare-bones as the programs (especially LP) may be, they're really good competitive vehicles for her, and that's what she needs right now.

I think if she skated to dramatik, fast music and tried to be something that she is very obviously not, she'd come across even worse and probably go back to falling on her ass left and right.

Vash01
12-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Almost every single program she's ever skated has looked alike to me. Granted, all skaters have a style, but hers seems really overwhelming.

But I think the emptiness in her programs this season has more to do with her technical issues and attempting to cement her improved solidity from last season. Parts of Adam's programs are pretty bare/front-loaded, and even Jeremy's long program, which is very ambitious, is more about doing simple things really well than extremely complicated difficulty. I think the relative emptiness of the program is a strategic choice by Yuka and Jason, and I honestly think it's the right choice. As dull and bare-bones as the programs (especially LP) may be, they're really good competitive vehicles for her, and that's what she needs right now.

I think if she skated to dramatik, fast music and tried to be something that she is very obviously not, she'd come across even worse and probably go back to falling on her ass left and right.

You have a point there. The soft music - pretty princess stufff- works for Alissa, but it does get boring over time, for the viewer. IMO she is still working on her confidence, jumpwise. May be if she feels really confident in that area, she could try something a little different, but not radically different because it's just not her.

I don't think she needs a new choreographer. It may be just a matter of time before she gains enough confidence to add a little drama to her programs. I have to admit I was bored even last year with her LP.

jenny12
12-10-2011, 01:04 AM
I think Alissa's short program this year is lovely as well as her long program last year which I thought expressed the music very well. However, her long program this year seems really empty and the music, although a great piece on its own, I don't think works well for Alissa. It just seems to drag.

Marlowe
12-10-2011, 04:42 AM
How ironic. I had just watched her short in the GPF a short while ago and thought "hmmm, this program is much more connected to the music than I had imagined. I wonder if the judges notice how she is actually dancing to the music, even when she's spinning?" And then I come upon this poll. Oh well. I loved last year's sp, but thought this one was empty... until tonight when I saw it again on the GPF... and was so fascinated by the way she was catching the phrases of the music that I replayed it several times. Go figure! :lol:

oleada
12-10-2011, 04:52 AM
YES. Her programs this year are a joke. They're completely empty. Honestly, she deserves 3s for transitions.

Proustable
12-10-2011, 04:55 AM
Out of curiosity, do you think she could genuinely do programs with tonnes of transitions and maintain a degree of jumping consistency? Frankly, I don't.

Love the short, don't care for the long.

oleada
12-10-2011, 05:11 AM
Out of curiosity, do you think she could genuinely do programs with tonnes of transitions and maintain a degree of jumping consistency? Frankly, I don't.

Love the short, don't care for the long.

Nope. Which is why skaters with difficult programs and the jumps should be rewarded...

DimaToe
12-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Haha, I love how the poll is 50/50 right now :P

Proustable
12-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Nope. Which is why skaters with difficult programs and the jumps should be rewarded...

I agree. But my question to you is more along the lines of "Is there a choreographer who you believe would come up with more interesting programs that Czisny could still skate effectively? If not, is it really fair to blame the choreography for her weaknesses?"

oleada
12-10-2011, 05:27 AM
I guess not, but why is she getting 7.29 for TR when she has none? I guess it's more of a problem in the judging system.

(not to pick on Alissa. There are a lot of skaters who do this)

Proustable
12-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Why was Plushenko outscoring Buttle and Savoie in Turin on transitions? Etc etc. As you said, that's a judging system problem.

moebius
12-10-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't get all the Czisny love. One tiny improvement and everyone gives her these huge praises, like she's very fragile and has very low self esteem. She looks like she's scared to death when she skates, very tentative and slow. I don't know why her PCS are so high.

Marco
12-10-2011, 06:40 AM
This year she seems to be even more focused on the jumps and sadly, at even more expense to her choreography and expression. On one hand, I can't blame her for wanting to fix a fundamental weakness as a matter of priority - because we all know she will medal as long as she lands her jumps, but she is quickly losing her appeal as a skater. (As a spinner she is still the best of course)

The short program at least shows off her elegant quality, but the long program is a huge bore, and even the music edit is - the first minute and a half has nothing going on.

Lanie
12-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Yes. I would love to see her try something new. Everything seems the same, every time.