PDA

View Full Version : Ingo Steuer: "Main thing is not to stand in Savchenko's way"

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Loves_Shizuka
12-13-2011, 08:01 PM
V/T under Ingo would have been so :inavoid: I know he's not the most popular man in the world, but I think he's come up with some fab programmes for S/S.

Were K/D really considered Moskvina's top pair for Nagano - not B/S?

julieann
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Ingo would make V/T wear blue body condoms :rolleyes: they still would not be his favorite. That is why Tatiana said staying with him was not an option.

flowerpower
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
they still would not be his favorite. That is why Tatiana said staying with him was not an option.

Guess that's to be expected. :P

Artifice
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
So...women leaders are a bad idea now? We're not supposed to pursue goals or be strong in pursuing that goal? :confused::mad: I do hope I'm interpreting this wrong. :shuffle:

I'm not in Steuer's head but I believe he didn't mean that woman leaders are not a good idea. It looks like to me that from his point of view as a man, it's not easy to deal with the gender aspect of the situation.
By the way it's kind of a macho's opinion to point that one shouldn't stand in Savchenko's way when she is pursuing her goal. He probably wouldn't say so had it been about a man's goal.
And yes, as if women weren't normal women if they try to pursue a goal.

Bournekraatzfan
12-16-2011, 05:34 AM
interesting interview, quiqie. thanks for posting:)

geez, that interviewer really wanted Ingo to say that Robin was an inferior partner. anyways, I think S/S show us that it is impossible to really know how much potential skaters have and consequently if they have maxed out that potential. I love the growth they have shown this year. That LP is a masterpiece, and I can't stop watching it.

Jenifer
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
- I always thought that dealing with a female leader was not easy.

- Aliona has good character. The main thing is not to stand in her way when she pursues her goal.

Just to clarify, the first line is Vaitsekhovskaya, the second Steuer, right? So the sorta sexist bit comes from her, not from Ingo, whose point is just that both partners can't be the "leader" of the team or the team will consistently butt heads and not be successful. I don't think there's anything controversial about that. If anything in this interview was offensive, IMO, it was Vaitsekhovskaya's repeated insinuations that Robin isn't a good enough partner for Aliona.

joeperryfan
12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
^^That was my impression too Jenifer.

bek
12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Just to clarify, the first line is Vaitsekhovskaya, the second Steuer, right? So the sorta sexist bit comes from her, not from Ingo, whose point is just that both partners can't be the "leader" of the team or the team will consistently butt heads and not be successful. I don't think there's anything controversial about that. If anything in this interview was offensive, IMO, it was Vaitsekhovskaya's repeated insinuations that Robin isn't a good enough partner for Aliona.

I think Robin is a fabulous skater, and with any top girl he'd do well. But he did hit the jackpot with Aliona...

Of course though I think after skating with Stanislav, Aliona has to be appreciative of having Robin. I honestly am surprised that more skaters don't go to Steuer for choreography.

rfisher
12-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I think Robin is a fabulous skater, and with any top girl he'd do well. But he did hit the jackpot with Aliona...

Of course though I think after skating with Stanislav, Aliona has to be appreciative of having Robin. I honestly am surprised that more skaters don't go to Steuer for choreography.

The fact that they do not, is telling. Either he's difficult or he's not interested in doing choreo for skaters that are not his.

bek
12-16-2011, 03:42 PM
The fact that they do not, is telling. Either he's difficult or he's not interested in doing choreo for skaters that are not his.

Well I'd imagine at this time he wouldn't be interested in doing choreo for S/S's competition. But I'd be interested in what Ingo could come up with for singles skaters/dancers. It would be a way for him to make some money. Even if Ingo was difficult, I'd think that it would perhaps be worth working for him as a choreographer because its not like you have to train with him every day.

joeperryfan
12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
The figure skating world is full of difficult people yet they keep getting new students, so either Steuer isn't interested in doing more choreo or his method simply doesn't go well with temporary students, this is just my opinion of course, but he probably gains from knowing his students well and from working with what they are and what they can do and his students gain from knowing his quirks and coping with them, in a short term relationship this is hard to achieve.

hanca
12-16-2011, 10:02 PM
It can also be that he simply doesn't have spare time, or that he is not willing to spent the little of free time he has making choreography for skaters for who he doesn't have responsibility. I know someone may look at it as opportunity to earn some extra money, but does he really need extra money? Sometimes people prefer having more free time than earning extra money. I can imagine training Aliona and Robin may take a lot of his time, and not only coaching but also doing their choreography, which is more than some coaches do.

kwanfan1818
12-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Of course though I think after skating with Stanislav, Aliona has to be appreciative of having Robin.
Because winning the World Junior Championships with Morozov was bupkus.

Cherub721
12-17-2011, 03:26 AM
It can also be that he simply doesn't have spare time, or that he is not willing to spent the little of free time he has making choreography for skaters for who he doesn't have responsibility. I know someone may look at it as opportunity to earn some extra money, but does he really need extra money? Sometimes people prefer having more free time than earning extra money. I can imagine training Aliona and Robin may take a lot of his time, and not only coaching but also doing their choreography, which is more than some coaches do.

I imagine money would be a consideration, because he has issues being funded by the German fed due to his past with the Stasi (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/feb/15/ingo-steuer-olympics-skating-stasi). Plus, he doesn't have too many other students (is it just the Swiss pair?).

It is odd though, that you have coaches who will do side work with everyone and their mother, while a talented choreographer like Ingo just works with one or two pairs. I agree that it can't just be due to his difficult personality, because he's not the only coach with that problem.

bek
12-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Because winning the World Junior Championships with Morozov was bupkus.

She uprooted and moved countries for a reason. In terms of Ingo it may be because he's a difficult personality. But I also can't help feeling that a lot of skaters have a tendency to want to use the same choreographers. (over and over). But given his talk of money problems, I would think choreographing would be a great solution for him. I really would be curious what he could come up with for a dance team or a singles skater.