PDA

View Full Version : Mao Asada Withdrew from GPF - UPDATE - Mao's Mother has passed away :(

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22

Bournekraatzfan
12-14-2011, 09:40 AM
A statement by Mao was issued by her managment company.
A literal translation (any mis-translation is my personal mistake) is as follows:

Dear persons who have rooted and supported me
Dear members of skating community
Dear members of the press

I would like to apologize for causing so much worries, and also for pulling out of a competition immediately prior to actual start of skating.
At first, when I received the news at Quebec, part of me wanted to return immediately, and another part of me was wondering "Is it alright to withdraw at such inopportune timing?" I was torn, but I soon realized that I made the right decision.
All during the flight back, many things passed through my mind. Mostly, I was praying, believing that my mother would be waiting for me.
However, when I arrived at Narita Airport in Tokyo, I received a mail from my father which said "Your mother could not pull through." I could not stop crying. Even then I held on to a slim hope and rushed back to the hospital in Nagoya. I called to my mother many times, "It's Mao, I'm back." However, my mother who was sleeping peacefully never opened her eyes.
I am proud of my mother who fought the disease for so long and so hard. There is also a part of me who is relieved that she is now beyond her suffering.
For past six month, her condition was such that every time I left Nagoya, I had to contend with the fact that this may be the last time to see her. I may be still in disbelief, but for some reason, now I sense that she is looking after me and close to me than ever before.
There is simply not enough words of gratitude that Mai and I could express to thank our mother for all her love which has been showered on us.
To honor her, I would like to keep a promise I made to her and to my family. I promised to strive the best I can to achieve my dream. I think this would satisfy her wishes. Therefore, I will continue to train intensely, just like before.

It would be highly appreciated if you would continue to cheer and support my endeavor.

Mao Asada

Thank you so much for translating. This is so touching and sad...but hopeful too.

Karpenko
12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I just found this article and I wanted to share it with you guys it's really emotional:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/sp20111214it.html

Wow so touching :wuzrobbed I've always liked Mao from the very begining, but my respect for her as a skater and person has never been so high. I'm so glad the skating community is reaching out to her and supporting her so much :)

allezfred
12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
@patinaggio (http://twitter.com/#!/patinaggio) has posted some more info from a Japanese article about Kyoko Asada's illness.

I read some more details on Kyoko Asada's illness. Had been battling with her condition for the past 20 years, but this year it got worse.

She was told by doctors that she needed a liver transplant from a donor. Both Mao & Mai had tests and Mai was found to be most suitable.

However, just before the transplant Mrs. Asada couldn't bear the idea of putting her own daughter through it and decided not to go ahead.

Instead, Mao & Mai's father donated part of his liver, but it wasn't a good match and Mrs. Asada's body rejected it.

This is the original article in Japanese:

http://entamegeinounotubo.seesaa.net/article/240215875.html

Amy03
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
@patinaggio (http://twitter.com/#!/patinaggio) has posted some more info from a Japanese article about Kyoko Asada's illness.

This is the original article in Japanese:

http://entamegeinounotubo.seesaa.net/article/240215875.html

oh my god I can't believe that this has happened, and for Mao giving her liver could have meant the end of her competitive career, but she was still willing to do it for her mother, what a brave woman, and that also goes for Mai.
this most have been a horrible and hard decision to take, and it's even more tragic that Mrs. Asada's body rejected the liver from her husband..

skatesindreams
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow so touching :wuzrobbed I've always liked Mao from the very begining, but my respect for her as a skater and person has never been so high. I'm so glad the skating community is reaching out to her and supporting her so much :)

Amy03, thank you!
A lovely article.
What wonderful caring people, Mao and her mother, are.

oleada
12-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Mao is such a class act; what a lovely statement.

leapfrogonice
12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Bet she comes back stronger than ever.

Vash01
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
This may sound strange or plain stupid, but I'm kind of glad Kozuka didn't make the final so Mr. Sato could leave for Japan with Mao, and she didn't have to fly home on her own.

It does not sound stupid at all. The universe arranged it that way. If you don't believe it, and if Kozuka was in the final, I am sure Mr. Sato would have arranged for another coach to help him, and Mr.Sato would have still accompanied Mao to Japan. In situations like this one, I am sure a lot of people are willing to help in different ways.

Sasha'sSpins
12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
My heart goes out to Mr. Asada who has lost his wife, Mai and Mao who have lost their beloved mother and the Asada family and friends.

escaflowne9282
12-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Poor Mao! I've grown to really love her as a skater. It's so hard to see someone go through this kind of pain.

burntBREAD
12-15-2011, 07:09 PM
It does not sound stupid at all. The universe arranged it that way. If you don't believe it, and if Kozuka was in the final, I am sure Mr. Sato would have arranged for another coach to help him, and Mr.Sato would have still accompanied Mao to Japan. In situations like this one, I am sure a lot of people are willing to help in different ways.

Yeah, I think Japan always sends a "team leader" or someone (recall Mao at 2008 Worlds, she was coachless but still had the team leader with her). Also, I think both Mr. and Mrs. Sato attend competitions so one could have left with Mao.

Mao is so strong. I think she will take inspiration from this. I wish her and her family the best through this difficult time.

Jammers
12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Mao being so upset when she didn't win in Vancouver was because she wanted to win the gold for her mother and not herself.

sleepypanda
12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
^ I remember reading somewhere Mao was upset in Vancouver because she didn't give the performance she wanted to give.

Oh, here's where I read it earlier this year: http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-fate-is-mostly-decided.html

My condolences to Mao and her family. All the best to them.

Japanese Nationals is going to be one heck of a show!

jatale
12-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Japanese Nationals is going to be one heck of a show!

Why, Miki is not there, so who is there to challenge Mao?

DimaToe
12-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Why, Miki is not there, so who is there to challenge Mao?

Akiko Suzuki, She's been on the podium on very competition she's entered this season, and even when her skates are shaky she still gets good scores (Ex. NHK LP, where she actually beat Mao overall) So looking at it that way, I do feel that Mao will have one challenger for the title.