PDA

View Full Version : Mao Asada Withdrew from GPF - UPDATE - Mao's Mother has passed away :(

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22

wnstnluv
12-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Thanks JAF. I loved "Jupiter" from the first time I saw it and now I can't watch it without tears welling up in my eyes. The same thing happened when I tried watching "Liebestraum". Mao is such a tough cookie. She really blossomed into a beautiful young woman and role model.

In some ways when a relative who is suffering from a terminal illness passes away, it can be a great relief to the family to know that they are no longer in pain. It certainly was that way for me when my father died of cancer.

My dad died of cancer as well. I agree- I was heartbroken that my dad wasn't physically here with us, yet at the same time I was very relieved that he no longer suffered not only from the cancer, but also the horrendous effects of the meds, chemo, and radiation therapy he had to go through. I hope Mao and Mai are able to find some kind of solace in that, but a mother's bond is very special and especially tough to deal with, I think..I just feel really bad for them and their father.

R.I.P. Mrs. Asada- thank you for raising two beautiful daughters and shaping the career of my favorite figure skater.

masofs
12-11-2011, 04:19 AM
In some ways when a relative who is suffering from a terminal illness passes away, it can be a great relief to the family to know that they are no longer in pain. It certainly was that way for me when my father died of cancer.

I agree. My dad died of cancer as well. It was so difficult to see someone independent and very intelligent so dependent and in pain. It was painful to loose him of course but it was even worst to see him deteriorating so fast. :(

galaxy
12-11-2011, 08:44 AM
This should be a reminder to everyone to think about what they post.
There is much we don't know about what might be happening "off the ice" in the lives of all these athletes.

I agree.
Now we know why she sat out of the training camp held by JSF this summer, which she had usually attended. The reason she gave was "fatigue", but according to the media, the summer was the time when her mother's illness got significantly worse. And some people criticized her for being spoiled and arrogant, and other people criticized her for not providing an understandable reason.

Amy03
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I missed Mao so much especially after seeing the free skate of the woman it was so disappointing, and I couldn't help but think what Mao would have delivered, cause she looked to be in topform looking at her practice clips, I just hope we will see her soon again! figure skating isn't really the same without her!

I really hope that Mao makes it through this hardship, sigh, it seems like just as she overcame one hardship a new one appears, all strength to her!

RubyTuesday
12-11-2011, 06:01 PM
How awful. My deepest sympathy to Mai and her family.

MINAM
12-12-2011, 12:41 AM
I read an artice in Nikkei Shimbun which said that Kyoko Asada stepped down as Asada's "producer" when her daughter switched to Nobuo Sato. Perhaps that was the time she realized her illness. The writer mentioned how s/he noticed her growing pale and fragile.

Apparently, Mao knew the seriousness of her mother's condition and told the people around her that "I cannot rely everything on my mother anymore" and then went to get her driving license (it was always her mother who drove her to practice).

Comments from Daisuke Takahashi:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20111212-00000076-spnannex-spo
"I really want her to come back and compete. Her mother loved skating and I'm sure she's hoping that, too. I want to see Asada senshu's skate. "

He also added:
"I'm not sure what I should do when I see her next time. Maybe we(I think he means fellow skaters) should gather around and help forget the sadness."

slicekw
12-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Poor Mao, my heart goes out to her.

Vash01
12-12-2011, 02:21 AM
I read an artice in Nikkei Shimbun which said that Kyoko Asada stepped down as Asada's "producer" when her daughter switched to Nobuo Sato. Perhaps that was the time she realized her illness. The writer mentioned how s/he noticed her growing pale and fragile.

Apparently, Mao knew the seriousness of her mother's condition and told the people around her that "I cannot rely everything on my mother anymore" and then went to get her driving license (it was always her mother who drove her to practice).

"I really want her to come back and compete. Her mother loved skating and I'm sure she's hoping that, too. I want to see Asada senshu's skate. "

He also added:
"I'm not sure what I should do when I see her next time. Maybe we(I think he means fellow skaters) should gather around and help forget the sadness."

I think just knowing that people care is going to help her and her family. Time will take care of the rest, but the void in her life will never be filled completely.:(

Sasha'sSpins
12-12-2011, 02:23 AM
That sounds appropriate by Cinquanta. To me anyway.

I agree.

Sparks
12-12-2011, 03:22 AM

He also added:
Thank you for the translation of Dai's comments.
(((MAO & MAI)))

Karpenko
12-12-2011, 03:37 AM
My dad died 10 years ago to the exact day Mao's mother passed, and I wasn't even 1/8th as close to him as Mao is to her mom. I wish her all the best. :( (((Mao)))

Wyliefan
12-12-2011, 04:30 AM

He also added:

That's very sweet of Dai. It IS hard knowing what to say to someone in that situation, but his heart is certainly in the right place, and I'm sure that will come through.

Miriam246
12-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Heartbreaking news, indeed. :(

Sally1214
12-12-2011, 06:45 AM
As for Daisuke saying he doesn't know what to say or do the next time he sees Mao ... it's not so much what you say, it's just being there, giving a hug, letting her know how much you care, and, yes, even talking about the GOOD memories Mao and her Mom made together.

I've lost both my parents and was so comforted by the people who just came to the funeral home and talked to me. Didn't matter what they said .. it just mattered that they were there. It meant they cared about me and my mom and dad.

So, IMO, Daisuke shouldn't worry about what to say or do. Mao will know he cares and that will mean the world to her and help her more than Daisuke knows.

I'm sure Mao will receive a world of support from her fellow skaters. That's MUCH more than I can say for Cinquanta. How in h#ll was making an announcement and having a moment of silence before the ladies' event going to impact the GPF event "going on as planned?" What an A$$!!!!!

Japanfan
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm sure Mao will receive a world of support from her fellow skaters. That's MUCH more than I can say for Cinquanta. How in h#ll was making an announcement and having a moment of silence before the ladies' event going to impact the GPF event "going on as planned?" What an A$$!!!!!

Skaters have lost parents and other loved ones in the past, just before and during competitions - some have withdrawn and some have skated anyway. I don't ever remember there being a moment of silence to acknowledge a death. There certainly wasn't one during the 2010 Olympics, when Rochette's mom passed away shortly before the SP.

Cinquanta merits plenty of criticism for all sorts of thing, but I can't fault him here. Skaters lose loved ones all the time - people lose loved ones all the time - but sporting events aren't necessarily the appropriate place for grief and the acknowledgement of loss.

The event did proceed "as planned" because that is what sporting events do, barring a major disaster like last year's Worlds in Tokyo.
But even then, the rescheduled event was about the skating, not the disaster in Japan.

Death is personal and skating is a job and sport. For that reason I doubt Mao wanted any fuss made about her loss at the GPF. I'm sure people in the skating community - skaters and others - will express their condolences to her and give her plenty of support in continuing with her skating.