PDA

View Full Version : Mao Asada Withdrew from GPF - UPDATE - Mao's Mother has passed away :(

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Carina
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
((( Mao )))
must have been a nightmare flight back to Japan and then get the news about her mother passed away :(
Sending lots of hugs to the Asada family.

Ozzisk8tr
12-10-2011, 01:37 PM
What a credit to these two girls, and their obviously wonderful supportive mother, for the joy they have given around the world simply by doing something they love. It is a true testament on what an impact she (and they) have had on people form all over the world from varying degrees of cultures. The loss of a parent is devastating on anyone, and I'm sure even Mao detractors would like nothing more than to give her a hug at this terribly sad time. Mao (and family), I'm so sorry for your loss, and may you get through this terrible time as painlessly as possible. Thank you Mao, Mai and your mother for the joy you have given me by watching your skating career evolve.

skatesindreams
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
As someone suggested above, I too wish that there would be some announcement at the GPF about this. I suspect that most people in the stands have no idea why Mao has withdrawn from the event. Just a "WD" beside her name is not enough. Before the Ladies' FS, a brief announcement of Mrs. Asada's death and a moment of silence would be appropriate, IMO.

We wish; but, apparently not:
Snipped, from article in English.

Cinquanta, however, said that there were no plans to observe a minute of silence to mark Kyoko Asada's passing at the GP Final.

"I would like to say we have to conduct anyway this final to which Mao qualified as one of the best skaters in the world," said the 73-year-old Italian.

How would honoring Mao/Mao's mother in this way "affect the conduct of the championship"?

skatemommy
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Speedy being the typical a$$ that he is. I hope the skaters can band together somehow (bracelets, armbands, stroking on warm up hand in hand, something...)

PDilemma
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Speedy being the typical a$$ that he is. I hope the skaters can band together somehow (bracelets, armbands, stroking on warm up hand in hand, something...)

I'm not sure he is being an ass so much this time. Look at it this way, Mao and her family chose --in spite of enormous media attention on her all the time--to never publicly talk about her mother's clearly long term illness. That would indicate that it is something they wished to deal with privately. Given that, a very public expression of sympathy may not be comfortable for them. It may be much better for Mao if the skaters she knows well are allowed to express their sympathy to her in more private ways, and as much as some of them see/compete against each other, I'm sure that they will and federation officials will assist in that.

ratatouille
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I've seen the Japanese skaters (Dai and the rest) put a black ribbon on their jacket.

And 50....you're such an a$$ h$$$.

I always thought why Mao was insisting to train in Japan, why can't she gain more weight, why ......But everything is so clear now. Shame on me! we never know what skaters have in their mind because we don't know them (unless you're BIG MOUTH like pattyChan)

Amy03
12-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I've seen the Japanese skaters (Dai and the rest) put a black ribbon on their jacket.

And 50....you're such an a$$ h$$$.

I always thought why Mao was insisting to train in Japan, why can't she gain more weight, why ......But everything is so clear now. Shame on me! we never know what skaters have in their mind because we don't know them (unless you're BIG MOUTH like pattyChan)

I totally agree there is a lot that makes sense now! it's soo sad to think about how much Mao has been enduring for soo long!

skatesindreams
12-10-2011, 06:12 PM
This should be a reminder to everyone to think about what they post.
There is much we don't know about what might be happening "off the ice" in the lives of all these athletes.

Coco
12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
So sad, and so unfair she couldn't get back in time. I hope her mother knew she was on her way, as that would have been an enormous comfort to her.

((((((((((Asada family)))))))))))

bek
12-10-2011, 06:43 PM
There is much we don't know about what might be happening "off the ice" in the lives of all these athletes.

I was thinking that too, about how its a reminder we don't know everything. Although I do wish she could have gone to Sato or another Japanese coach sooner perhaps this just wasn't possible...But obviously staying in Japan was the only choice.

I must say though that I'm heartbroken when I think about the fact that no only was Asada dealing with the pressure of being this huge star in Japan and all the scrutiny that came with it, but also dealing with her mom's long term illness.

victoriaheidi
12-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Same thing I thought after Alissa's disaster season in 2010/the revelation that Amber had cancer.

It's hard to remember that these people have personal circumstances (because we're online, not even looking at real people but at videos, and we're just giving our straight-up opinions), but I hope we all can think before we post.

DORISPULASKI
12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I hope there will be a moment of silence for Mao's mom at the Ladies Final. That would be very appropriate.

My heart goes out to Mao & the rest of the Asada family.

lauravvv
12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Honestly, I don't even know what to say about this. It's so sad - I hope that Mao and her family will be able to stay strong through this, but I also know that those are only words.

floskate
12-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I hope there will be a moment of silence for Mao's mom at the Ladies Final. That would be very appropriate.

My heart goes out to Mao & the rest of the Asada family.

As skatesindreams posted from the article upthread, Speedy has already ruled this out. I do agree that the events of the past few days have given clarity to certain decisions regarding Mao's career over the last couple of years. I cannot imagine how she has been able to endure the pressure of everyone criticising her skating, her weight and choices when all this was happening in her private life. I have so much respect for the way she conducts herself both on and off the ice. A class act in every respect that we can all learn from.

skatesindreams
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I do agree that the events of the past few days have given clarity to certain decisions regarding Mao's career over the last couple of years. I cannot imagine how she has been able to endure the pressure of everyone criticising her skating, her weight and choices when all this was happening in her private life. I have so much respect for the way she conducts herself both on and off the ice. A class act in every respect that we can all learn from.

Thank you, floskate.
I admire Mao even more, now.