PDA

View Full Version : IMPROV-ICE on Dec. 15; NBC broadcast on Jan. 15, 4-6 pm EST

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

heckles
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Styx wasn't bad for a bunch of old fogies. :lol:

Yeah, and of course Johnny Whine had to point out how un-hip (he thinks) Styx is, so unworthy of his fabulosity. Ewww, he had to skate to Styx, that band he hears when he rides in a taxi.

Yeah, let's see if people are still enjoying your work 40 years from now, John-Boy.

Frau Muller
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Johnny wins this, hands down. Nobody came close, IMO.

Frau Muller
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
This is only the THIRD Improv? No way. I remember these events happening for at least a dozen years, e.g., Philippe Candeloro's hilarious x-rated number at the very first improv...which was LIVE, so the FCC could not pull the plug on it, LOL!

Coco
01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
I can only find Johnny's performance on Disson's youtube channel. Are the other performances up there and I'm just missing them?

Sylvia
01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
I can only find Johnny's performance on Disson's youtube channel. Are the other performances up there and I'm just missing them?
There are short recap videos for all 8 skaters on the voting page: http://www.dissonskating.com/2011/12/improv-ice-voting/

"One vote per person per day.
Voting ends on January 31st, 2012.
The “Best Improv-Ice Skater” will be announced during Pandora Unforgettable Moments of Love on Ice on Saturday, February 4, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. EST on NBC."

Coco
01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
thanks!

REO
01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah, and of course Johnny Whine had to point out how un-hip (he thinks) Styx is, so unworthy of his fabulosity. Ewww, he had to skate to Styx, that band he hears when he rides in a taxi.

Yeah, let's see if people are still enjoying your work 40 years from now, John-Boy.

I don't think he meant it as a diss of Styx. You have to remember a person now in their twenties was a baby when Styx was popular. What's popular now will be considered "un-hip" in the 2030s.

That being said, Styx are still a really tight band. They still sound as good live as when they WERE a top 40 group. Not alot of bands can say the same. JMO of course, but I thought they sounded great.

Lacey
01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
OMG, will wonders never cease, there was Johnny Weir with a naturally well padded butt, he looked totally healthy, not sickeningly skinny. Skated great! Marriage must agree with him.

Nicole gets second best comeback, but Sasha still astonishes. And sweet little Mirai looked happy to be with skating friends, I think she might be lonely without Evan. Jeremy looks confident, that's a very very good thing.

heckles
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't think he meant it as a diss of Styx. You have to remember a person now in their twenties was a baby when Styx was popular. What's popular now will be considered "un-hip" in the 2030s.

Depends on how open-minded the person is. A person born in the '80s can have a thing for '60s music or even '40s swing music. The teenagers in the Contemporary Youth Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9lPOq-LOcY&feature=related) are considerably younger than Weir, but they clearly enjoyed performing with Styx.

OrioleBeagle
01-18-2012, 04:10 AM
I loved seeing Johnny skating to something outside of his comfort zone! He should skate to Freddy Mercury & Queen !

aftershocks
01-18-2012, 05:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOy-_1xbRtc

Ha ha, I love Johnny's "grand" entrance and how it was timed with one of the band's raising high of his guitar. Pretty cool, and also quite clear to me that Johnny was having an absolutely enjoyable time skating live to the music of this ancient "unhip" ;) golden oldie (yet still rockin') group.

Johnny's often cheeky and sometimes wittily contrary in interviews. On the ice, he's very diva-licious and entertaining. From his more introverted exhibition performances circa 2004, to the gorgeously lyrical and sublime (Nature Boy and Ave Maria), to the personal emotion yet operatic declaration of Heartbroken, to the experimentally over-the-top fabulous-ness of Poker Face and Bad Romance, Johnny has certainly grown into his current unmistakably outrageous on-ice persona.

And now verbatim, Johnny's actual words from the Improv on Ice interview, which unsurprisingly have been misinterpreted in regard to his regard toward Styx and their music. ;)

At 3:50 - 4:28 in the below video clip:

To be honest, I’ve never really listened to Styx music. Styx was hot pretty much before my time, so I definitely never learned about them or who they were or their music. Styx is the curve ball. A top-40 pop song, fine we hear ‘em everyday in the taxi. But Styx … Styx will be interesting. I may give them the stage for like a minute and a half, and then just kind of pop out, maybe roll around on the stage while they’re performing. I don’t know how cool they are. I don’t know how old they are. God only knows what’s going to happen today. (laughter)

And earlier in the below video clip:

Improvising on the spot definitely lends itself to my personality... Everything is fair game for me. I am after all, me. (purses his lips in a kiss to the camera).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=EW3m6bMkpms

:)

heckles
01-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I may give them the stage for like a minute and a half, and then just kind of pop out, maybe roll around on the stage while they’re performing. I don’t know how cool they are. I don’t know how old they are. God only knows what’s going to happen today.

Sounds like a petulant preteen. Ewww, like, I might just show up late in the number and not even bother to skate, because the musicians might be old and uncool.

missing
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I would have felt a bit more tolerant about Johnny's comments if he hadn't had such dreadful taste in his competitive music choices.

aftershocks
01-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a petulant preteen. Ewww, like, I might just show up late in the number and not even bother to skate, because the musicians might be old and uncool.

^^ Sounds like a jealous snarky nonfan:
“Ahhhh … Ewww, here’s something I can mock Johnny Fabulous about, even though it’s petty, irrelevant and pretentious of me. Forget about the fact that I’m twisting what he actually said in an entertaining made-for-television interview.”

I would have felt a bit more tolerant about Johnny's comments if he hadn't had such dreadful taste in his competitive music choices.

:lol: As if they were his choices ... None of the competitors picked their own music. They were assigned specific selections a couple of hours before taping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr8AwHuEP3o&feature=related

REO
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Oh he DID pick his own music when he was competing. I think that's what missing meant. He had no choice the other night though.

As for his comments about Styx, I 'm sure he meant no disrespect to them. He rattles off the top of his head and sometimes he's more successful than others lol. He's usually very supportive of other people. (maybe one exception lol) I can see why heckles could take what he said as a diss but I think what he said is being miscontrued. The Styx guys seemed to like him anyway. After he performed they all clapped and the keyboard player can be seen saying "Oh my God!"