PDA

View Full Version : IMPROV-ICE on Dec. 15; NBC broadcast on Jan. 15, 4-6 pm EST

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Jaana
01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Despite not being familiar with Styx, Mirai did a great job with her program to their music. :) I enjoyed that more than her first program.

WOW, Boat on the River, that is one of my favourite songs.... Im sure that it fitted Mirai really well!

paskatefan
01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I enjoyed the show a lot, but I still prefer the original concept of Improv-Ice from the late 1990's/early 2000's. That was Robin Cousin's concept, right? Improv-Ice in Philly (12/2000) was very memorable - Sasha had a wardrobe malfunction (?), Mike skated to "Sex Bomb", a few months before Plushy did it, and Todd skated to "Who Let the Dogs Out?" The previous ones were memorable for us too, especially for the "Kurt" factor.

skatesindreams
01-16-2012, 02:54 PM
That was Robin Cousin's concept, right?

Yes, it was.

aftershocks
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks paskatefan and skatesindreams! Yes, I remember that it was Robin's original concept, but I don't recall how different it was from recent shows. Can either of you enlighten further?

BTW, paskatefan, is there a youtube clip of Todd skating to that song? I'd love to see it, as I don't recall seeing it before. :)

skatesindreams
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm not paskatefan; but, here it is:

Todd Eldredge - "Who Let the Dogs Out" - 2000 Improv Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q770Z7SNr4

kwanette
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks paskatefan and skatesindreams! Yes, I remember that it was Robin's original concept, but I don't recall how different it was from recent shows. Can either of you enlighten further?

BTW, paskatefan, is there a youtube clip of Todd skating to that song? I'd love to see it, as I don't recall seeing it before. :)

In the earlier improv show(s) the music was across the boards. I remember Nancy getting a classical piece and Nancy hated classical music, but she did a great job with it. I loved yesterday's show, terrific cast, but I could have done without Styx and the "top 40". I would have preferred a more eclectic musical selection.

skatemommy
01-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I couldn't watch it all (at ice rink). Did anyone skate to "Come Sail Away"?

skatesindreams
01-16-2012, 09:32 PM
If I remember correctly, originally (1998) Robin would select the music himself and give it to the skaters only a few hours before the show.
Lots of listening and frantic backstage activity would ensue.

Sometimes he would make "offbeat" choices to see what would happen.
At others, it would be music he had always wanted to see a given performer use.

IceAlisa
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I couldn't watch it all (at ice rink). Did anyone skate to "Come Sail Away"?

They all did: it was the finale.

skatesindreams
01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
This was done LIVE.

Sasha Cohen - 2000 Improv'Ice (Invocation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo9ejMJKpo

Just beautiful!
I'm sure the motivation for the music choice fit the second category, in this case.

Wyliefan
01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
In the earlier improv show(s) the music was across the boards.

I preferred that format, too. The music didn't all sound so similar, and there was a chance that some skaters would really have to stretch themselves.

kwanette
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
This was done LIVE.

Sasha Cohen - 2000 Improv'Ice (Invocation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo9ejMJKpo

Just beautiful!
I'm sure the motivation for the music choice fit the second category, in this case.

Wow! That was mesmerizing.

skatesindreams
01-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I think that it was one of the best programs I've seen - under any circumstances.
I wonder what Robin thought?

aliceanne
01-17-2012, 02:23 AM
I think Robin would have been impressed with how the skaters rose to the challenge.

The only problem is that I don't know who to vote for. Especially since each skater did 2 numbers.

paskatefan
01-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Voting is open @ the Disson Skating site. You can vote once a day through 1/3//12.