PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

ponta1
12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
That would be the point though, you don't know what he was taught in history class.'

In my daughters school you only need one history credit in high school. When she was studying for finals last year I don't recall a section on Human Rights violations in China.

Wow, only one credit? Are you in Canada? I believe most high schools in the US require 3 history credits for graduation, and also to apply to college.

Garden Kitty
12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
From the PJ Kwong interview:

I love my country. I was born here and raised here and am proud to be Canadian. I appreciate the friends and support I get wherever I am. I don't always get that feeling living in Colorado Springs, but when I return home I love it when people come up to me

I can see the protests starting in Colorado Springs now! :mitchell: OK, maybe not. :lol:

marbri
12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Wow, only one credit? Are you in Canada? I believe most high schools in the US require 3 history credits for graduation, and also to apply to college.

I should have said 1 history course which gives her 2 credits. She needs in total four credits from the area of "Social Studies". Two credits have to come from World Studies and two credits from Canadian Studies. She chose World History as her World Studies ( she could have taken World Geography instead to fulfill that requirement). Human Rights in China was not in her course.

That is the province she lives in, other provinces might have a different setup.

aliceanne
12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
If Canadians didn't support an athlete because their heritage wasn't 100% Canadian....there would be very few Canadian athletes to cheer for. I doubt that many Canadians who like Patrick's skating would even know that he trains in the US.

With all due respect, this is ridiculous. Many Canadians with first-generation immigrant parents would say very similar things about feeling part of two cultures but never completely integrated into either.

He is the one that said Canadians don't applaud him the way Chinese audiences do - not me.

The interview was about skating audiences and how maybe he'd like to represent China because they "understand more about what skaters do" not about any deep-seated cultural conflicts.

I saw many comments on the web by Canadians about Tanith Belbin being a "traitor" because she was skating for the U.S. at the Olympics, so yes I think it matters to fans. Do I think it is career-ending or affects how people spend their money? No. They'll watch the skater whose performance they like best.

PDilemma
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I should have said 1 history course which gives her 2 credits. She needs in total four credits from the area of "Social Studies". Two credits have to come from World Studies and two credits from Canadian Studies. She chose World History as her World Studies ( she could have taken World Geography instead to fulfill that requirement). Human Rights in China was not in her course.

That is the province she lives in, other provinces might have a different setup.

Wow. That's not much.The state requires three years of social studies coursework here. And most schools require 3.5 or 4 years. Required coursework includes 1 year of world history, 1 year of American, and at least a semester of government (civics). Schools usually require geography as well and the remaining credits can be chosen among econ, psych, advanced history courses, current affairs courses, etc...

I taught a current affairs course that included issues in China one semester. When I taught world history, the topic was definitely covered and it was part of the world history curriculum in my last school as well. Not to mention that most social studies teachers incorporate current issues into their curriculum regardless of what they are teaching and issues in China are certainly present in the news.

marbri
12-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Wow. That's not much.The state requires three years of social studies coursework here. And most schools require 3.5 or 4 years. Required coursework includes 1 year of world history, 1 year of American, and at least a semester of government (civics). Schools usually require geography as well and the remaining credits can be chosen among econ, psych, advanced history courses, current affairs courses, etc...

I taught a current affairs course that included issues in China one semester. When I taught world history, the topic was definitely covered and it was part of the world history curriculum in my last school as well. Not to mention that most social studies teachers incorporate current issues into their curriculum regardless of what they are teaching and issues in China are certainly present in the news.

She does three years of High School so she would never get 3.5 to 4 years of Socials. In Junior High history/geography/socials were done every year. That doesn't go towards her High School graduation requirements but it includes what you would call Grade Nine.

Of course you are free to do more if you choose but she has chosen to double up on her Math and Science credits ( she has double the credits required in both areas).

eta...Btw you wrote:
Required coursework includes 1 year of world history, 1 year of American, and at least a semester of government (civics)

She has two of the three requirements you list. Career Development was added to the curriculum some years back which replaced a third socials credit requirement (she got 2 credits for that).

Civic
12-08-2011, 08:11 PM
It sounds like he wants more fame. He goes on to say: So all he cares about is making himself happy, but he wants lots of fame and adulation for doing that.

I find Chan so much easier to like when he keeps his mouth shut

I shrug this off as his being young and trying to figure out who he is, his place in the world and what he wants out of life.

Dragonlady
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Please bear in mind that Patrick attended a French immersion high school. French immersion students often have difficulty upon returning to an English speaking school and are generally academically behind students who have been educated in English. They are bi-lingual but the depth of their education in French is certainly not equal to that of English speaking students who attend English speaking high schools.

overedge
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
He is the one that said Canadians don't applaud him the way Chinese audiences do - not me.

And you were the one who said:

The fact that he is split between cultures could affect his fan appeal.

And:

I saw many comments on the web by Canadians about Tanith Belbin being a "traitor" because she was skating for the U.S. at the Olympics, so yes I think it matters to fans.

Maybe to the "fans" who find it necessary to go on the web to express such opinions. I wouldn't take that as representative of how all people who follow figure skating feel about such things.

IceAlisa
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
He can certainly do that and probably should at some point. But he is still allowed to be proud of his Chinese culture and heritage and it seems that's as far as he got to

Being aware of certain tragic aspects of one's culture and being proud of others is not mutually exclusive. With that, saying Patrick is a traitor is rather :drama:. He seems to be quite naive though.

PDilemma
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
She does three years of High School so she would never get 3.5 to 4 years of Socials. In Junior High history/geography/socials were done every year. That doesn't go towards her High School graduation requirements but it includes what you would call Grade Nine.

Of course you are free to do more if you choose but she has chosen to double up on her Math and Science credits ( she has double the credits required in both areas).

eta...Btw you wrote:

She has two of the three requirements you list. Career Development was added to the curriculum some years back which replaced a third socials credit requirement (she got 2 credits for that).

Required at the last school I taught at:

grade 7--world cultures
grade 8-American history colonial through civil war
grade 9--world geography
grade 10--world history
grade 11--American history in depth
grade 11 or 12--semester of American government + a semester chosen from International Affairs, Economics, Psychology, or Intro to Anthropology.

I helped redesign this curriculum when I arrived there and new state curriculum standards had been implemented.

A semester of career development was required but did not take credit/time away from any core area.

Having been a social studies educator for 16 years, it frightens me that democratic countries, including the U.S., are increasingly deciding that social studies education should not be a priority. Local schools are eliminating or severely decreasing social studies (and natural sciences as well) to spend more time on math and reading because they are tested. And I read an article very recently in which a university president mused that social sciences and all of the humanities should be eliminated. In a global and connected world, knowledge and understanding in these areas is vital. And if we neglect it we will have a whole lot of Patrick Chans who have no idea that there are human rights issues in China, or worse, people who have no idea how their government works or what their rights and responsibilities as citizens are.

Bailey_
12-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I read this article this morning and could not quite believe what I was seeing...

I think this is a very good example of his youth. Perhaps, should he live in China and endure harsh living conditions, training conditions/schedules, and the pressure to succeed that their athletes experience he would be a little more appreciative of the life he has enjoyed.

No doubt, he will learn a lot from this experience. It's just unfortunate because his comments are very disrespectful to the support his has received from his coaches, club, and Skate Canada. At least Skate Canada appears to have handled the situation with grace in the media. I thought he had learned from past mistakes that humility is one of the most admirable traits of a true champion. Perhaps that is a hard lesson for someone to learn who is so young and very much at the top of his game.

Maybe he would feel more support from Canadian fans if he would tour Canada with SOI in the spring and let those who want to enjoy his skating see him skate in person. Just a thought...

marbri
12-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Being aware of certain tragic aspects of one's culture and being proud of others is not mutually exclusive. With that, saying Patrick is a traitor is rather :drama:. He seems to be quite naive though.

I didn't say they were.

Yazmeen
12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, at least he wasn't mouthing off about how his competition would just cry again on the medal stand, and he didn't diss Mickey Mouse... :P

Seriously, he is a young man, he has few filters and could use a few more before he speaks, but to vilify him for these relatively minor remarks is ridiculous. Patrick, welcome to the real world of celebritydom, you have just learned the (painful) "Nancy Kerrigan Lesson."

marbri
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Required at the last school I taught at:

grade 7--world cultures
grade 8-American history colonial through civil war
grade 9--world geography
grade 10--world history
grade 11--American history in depth
grade 11 or 12--semester of American government + a semester chosen from International Affairs, Economics, Psychology, or Intro to Anthropology.

I helped redesign this curriculum when I arrived there and new state curriculum standards had been implemented.

A semester of career development was required but did not take credit/time away from any core area.

Having been a social studies educator for 16 years, it frightens me that democratic countries, including the U.S., are increasingly deciding that social studies education should not be a priority. Local schools are eliminating or severely decreasing social studies (and natural sciences as well) to spend more time on math and reading because they are tested. And I read an article very recently in which a university president mused that social sciences and all of the humanities should be eliminated. In a global and connected world, knowledge and understanding in these areas is vital. And if we neglect it we will have a whole lot of Patrick Chans who have no idea that there are human rights issues in China, or worse, people who have no idea how their government works or what their rights and responsibilities as citizens are.

The only difference I am seeing is
grade 11 or 12--semester of American government + a semester chosen from International Affairs, Economics, Psychology, or Intro to Anthropology..

She can take something similar but she chose not to, she chose herself to double up on her maths and sciences.

The whole point of this was to say to ponta1 that just because they were taught it in school doesn't mean Chan was.