PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

marbri
12-08-2011, 06:15 PM
And Randy Starkman is right on... Exactly right.

Agree.

How any sane Canadian could consider this young man a traitor is :rofl:

skatingfanfun
12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Actually Patrick attended Ecole Etienne Brule, a French language public high school (not French immersion), which was also attended by Paul Poirier.

He did not have to pay to attend.

That's true. My daughter's school is right next to it.

I guess Patrick and his family is really under a tight budget because I read an article saying that Patrick was late for an interview or press conference as he took the bus instead of taking taxi to save money. Also when the skate Canada official asked him why he didn't call or text him, Patrick said it would have cost him 50 cents or something---not mature or considerate enough but it says something about their financial situation.

I totally agree with Randy, glad to see there is still journalist with conscience. (Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
Randy Starkman of the Toronto Star weighs in: Patrick Chan said nothing wrong – in fact he’s dead right)
Some journalists just don't care how much damage they would do to their victims by taking things out of context to draw attention. I detest that kind of reporting.

That being said I really think Patrick needs to think before speaking. I listened to the radio this morning and the comment of the broadcaster on Patrick really sounded like he wanted to kick Patrick out of Canada----Patrick is in real trouble this time. Not many people would take the time to read exactly what you said, and let alone under what context. Gland at the title or listen to somebody's comment then you're done.

Actually figure skating is NOT popular in China. In spite of what Shen/Zhao have achieved, not so long ago people thought that Shen Xue Zhao Hongbo (their name in Chinese sequence) was one person, as their names are always mentioned together, and wondered how come someone has such a long name:rollin::rollin::rollin::; most Chinese names have just two or three syllabus. Not until recent years, only three provinces and Beijing had indoor skating rinks, and only a few that you fingers would be more than enough to count them. But Patrick was right about the picked ones---all being paid. He was just comparing the two systems.

I can't read from the quote that he's torn which Country to present, the title of the article was just wrong. It was apparent he was answering a question that was not in the article, and it appeared was in the context of Chinese heritage and if he would like to represent China. bottom line he said ideally it would be nice if he could represent both Canada and China. He did not say that he would represent China instead of Canada.

Anyway, I guess it's spilled water now, and he can never get his side of story heard anymore. Poor kid------grow up, be an adult, and sugar coat what in your mind----think before open your mouth----be aware of evil reporters:lol:

One more thing to add: Patrick, be respectful to your peers. Some of them are better than you one way or another. Although a great skater, you are still far from head and shoulder above others and your programs are not the most memorable, nice, but not that great especially when you have never skate them clean this season. The SP is never a great piece to me anyway. The LP is really nice and hopefully you can skate it clean. As a Canadian with Chinese heritage myself, I really wish you consider this old saying: 谦受益,满招损, that's part of real Chinese culture and philosophy.

equatorial
12-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Patrick Chan gave an interview to the main Singapore Chinese-language newspaper not a long time ago stating that he wanted to represent Singapore in alpine skiing or tennis :rofl: The guy needs to make up his mind, or whatever he has instead :P He has relatives here in Singapore, and his mother reportedly "adores" this city.

Vash01
12-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I tend to agree with Sylvia's take that he was thinking of basically getting a free ride financially if he were to skate in China.

But overall I think his comments were pretty clear--he doesn't feel he's getting enough recognition in Canada, and he thinks if he were competing in China, he would be getting that. Also, I don't think that Chan was being immature. I think he has (and has had for quite some time) a very strong ego. And I think his comments have consistently reflected that over the years. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is what it is.

That's interesting. I had never thought about the financial part. There could be some validity to that speculation. I was thinking (when I read his comments) that it was about being caught between two cultures which is pretty common for children of first generation (occasionally even second generation) immigrants.

I also agree about his ego. There are/were other skaters in similar situations (I mentioned Michelle Kwan and Naomi Nari Nam as examples in an earlier post) but they did not feel it necessary to talk about their dual culture background, particularly about skating for both countries. They are Americans and they skated for the USA. That's what we saw. For some reason Chan seems to seek attention- just my perception. Again, like you said it's not a particularly bad thing, but it does get a bit irritating after a while- kind of like Weir's silly comments over the years. They don't hurt anyone and don't hurt him particularly; it's just a minor irritation for me that whatever Chan says publicly gets so much attention. I would much rather focus on his skating (and so should he, but he doesn't need to, since he knows he is going to win, no matter what).

kittyjake5
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
PJ Wong's exclusive interview with Patrick

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/12/exclusive-patrick-chan-explains-his-comments-about-canada.html

julieann
12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
PJ Wong's exclusive interview with Patrick

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/12/exclusive-patrick-chan-explains-his-comments-about-canada.html

'Chanties'

:rofl:

Priceless!

Stephanie
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Chan: "I had no idea until you said it right now that there are accusations of human rights violations against China."

??? What kind of rock has this guy been living under?

PDilemma
12-08-2011, 07:10 PM

A big soundproof one with no access to any serious media?

IceAlisa
12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
He has access to the Internet. He should really Google history of human rights abuses in China and perhaps learn what it's really like to be Chinese and a Chinese elite athlete.

skipaway
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM

The same rock lots of people live under. If it doesn't effect them, they don't need to know about it.

marbri
12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
He has access to the Internet. He should really Google history of human rights abuses in China and perhaps learn what it's really like to be Chinese and a Chinese elite athlete.

He can certainly do that and probably should at some point. But he is still allowed to be proud of his Chinese culture and heritage and it seems that's as far as he got to date.

Everyone lives under a rock at some point in their lives.

BittyBug
12-08-2011, 07:20 PM
The same rock lots of people live under. If it doesn't effect them, they don't need to know about it.That reminds me of the line from The Milagro Bean Field Wars: "Around here, chances are if we don't already know about it, we don't want to know about it."

ponta1
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Everyone lives under a rock at some point in their lives.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US, that is all taught in history class. Or at least it was at the school I went to.

Vagabond
12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Trapped Between Two Worlds? Who is he, Han Suyin (http://theinkbrain.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/por5bg.jpg)?

No. Lazarus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa9ivaqVL9E).

A few key quotes:

JENNIFER KIRK: So you're the terrible thing? The murdering monster? The creature?

CHAN: Yes, Captain. Or he is. It depends on your point of view, doesn't it?

JENNIFER KIRK: You'll be trapped inside that corridor with him forever. At each other's throats throughout time.

CHAN: Is it such a large price to pay for the safety of two universes?

:watch:

marbri
12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, that is all taught in history class. Or at least it was at the school I went to.

That would be the point though, you don't know what he was taught in history class.'

In my daughters school you only need one history credit in high school. When she was studying for finals last year I don't recall a section on Human Rights violations in China.