PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

DFJ
12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Here we go again. A traitor?! Please. :blah:

julieann
12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think I have ever seen a skating interview get so misconstrued by the masses than this one; and if there is one, I don't want to see it.

He said all those things for sure, but I have a feeling shite interview skills and bad editing are more to blame, than Chan being a cad.

"I skate just to satisfy my own desire and not care about other people's desire for me to do well. I barely have any interest any more in how well I do in competitions. I want to skate well but my main concern is to satisfy myself and make myself enjoy what I do on the ice and hopefully the audience can feel the same thing.

I think people are thinking he doesn't care about competing anymore and that's not how I perceive it. I think skating is just as much about the journey to get there than the end result and if you do 100% and feel great about the performance, even 4th place feels pretty nice. That's all that matters to him; doing the best job he can and hopefully the audience enjoys it.

clarie
12-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Bad editing for sure!

aliceanne
12-08-2011, 05:08 PM
I kind of understand what he is saying. He looks Chinese, his nationality is Canadian, and he trains in the U.S. The fact that he is split between cultures could affect his fan appeal. Since he doesn't do appearances in the U.S. (that I know of), I couldn't say. If it is true that he doesn't do Canadian tours either, that could affect his recognition factor in Canada as well.

As far as the grass being greener in China, I don't know about that for a singles skater. Chen Lu had to travel quite a bit to train, and she felt that not having any Chinese judges to support her affected her career. The interviews I've read with Bin Yao indicate that skating is not growing in China in spite of his success with the pairs. I see mostly empty seats at the Cup of China.

Skating does appear to be big in Korea and Japan right now, but in the 90's it was big in North America, so things could change at any time - just ask the former Soviet skaters.

Maybe Patrick's problem is that he has had too many choices in his life. He doesn't feel a part of any one culture because he has never committed to one. He is always looking to see where the grass is greener.

Rafter
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
It's interesting that some of the comments under the G&M article are people defending Chan and bringing race into it. That if he were caucasian like Browning and Stojko, he'd be a lot more famous in Canada. Something I had never really pondered before.

Anyway, Chan isn't the first and won't be the last amateur athlete in Canada to complain about the Canadian public and media only paying attention to Olympic sports once every 4 years. For sure I've heard Adam van Koeverden complaining about this and the fact that once the Olympics are over, all the Canadian public and media cares about is NHL hockey. :blah:

ETA: I also think it's quite natural for Chan as he gets older to start having more positive feeling about his ethnicity. All one has to do is be in Toronto during any World Cup of Soccer tourny to see how proud Cdn immigrants are of their homeland/ancestry.

flowerpower
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
His parents financial outlay wasn't only for skating. He atteneded the elite private The Toronto French School for high school (an perhaps before). That's big $$ in itself. And definitely a choice as there are French immersion public schools around the city.

Actually Patrick attended Ecole Etienne Brule, a French language public high school (not French immersion), which was also attended by Paul Poirier.

He did not have to pay to attend.

Sparks
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Trapped Between Two Worlds? Who is he, Han Suyin (http://theinkbrain.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/por5bg.jpg)? How melodramatic :lol:!!

Trapped Between Two Worlds, Starring Patrick Chan and ______________(insert name of b/c-list actress here, preferably Canadian)

Is it true that he's not getting props like Stojko and Browning? Isn't their medal count on the national and international scene a little higher than his?

Almost as dramatic as "Torn between 2 Lovers (feeling like a fool)".

Rex
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Almost as dramatic as "Torn between 2 Lovers (feeling like a fool)".

Godawful song, that inspired a really bad TV movie with my beloved Lee Remick.

WildRose
12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Patrick was named as Sportsnet's Athlete of the Year this morning. Nice to see him being recognized. I hope this makes him feel better about things, he sounds thrilled with the announcement.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/2011/12/08/chan_award/

judgejudy27
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
The comment that strikes me as sad is,

Chan: "I barely have any interest any more in how well I do in competitions."

Well, why should he??? This is why I happen to think the judges are absolutely doing him no favors by continuing to score him high marks when he makes many mistakes in his programs. How can you have any frame of reference for improving when you pretty much realize that no matter if you skate clean or wobble on footwork and fall on 2 or 3 jumps, you still have the competition in the bag.

Pretty much. Anyone who watches and sees that he is a lock to win every event even with 5 or 6 falls naturally thinks:

1. The sport and how it is scored is often a joke. A major turn off.

2. You know he is going to win every event anyway, and he doesnt have to skate well to do it, so who cares.

3. The field must suck (which it doesnt but judges allow that impression) if someone who keeps making so many mistakes in many of his events can keep winning.

So why would anyone care. That even few Canadians are interested is understandable and wont change until the judges start scoring him reasonably.

berthesghost
12-08-2011, 05:52 PM
The Toronto Star article perseverates about how Patrick didn't say he wanted to compete for China. Yes, we know.

He appears to be grossly underestimating the sacrifices he and his family would have to make had he been a Chinese skater. No, they wouldn't have to pay for his training but there are other forms of sacrifice.

I don't know what goes on in Canada in terms of skating popularity but to my rude Amerikan eye it seems that it's more popular than it is in the US.

I can't imagine this interview even being given by a Chinese skater. No matter how you view him (refreshingly candid vs borishly arrogant) Patrick speaks his mind in an uncensored way I can't imagine anyone in Asia thinking is acceptable. He is a product of Canada.

overedge
12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
He looks Chinese, his nationality is Canadian, and he trains in the U.S. The fact that he is split between cultures could affect his fan appeal.

If Canadians didn't support an athlete because their heritage wasn't 100% Canadian....there would be very few Canadian athletes to cheer for. I doubt that many Canadians who like Patrick's skating would even know that he trains in the US.

Maybe Patrick's problem is that he has had too many choices in his life. He doesn't feel a part of any one culture because he has never committed to one. He is always looking to see where the grass is greener.

With all due respect, this is ridiculous. Many Canadians with first-generation immigrant parents would say very similar things about feeling part of two cultures but never completely integrated into either.

WildRose
12-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Hamilton Spectator article - Patrick's comments were taken out of context:
http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/636396--chan-comments-cause-reaction-at-grand-prix-final

The comments were from an interview back in September and Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada’s director of high performance, said Thursday morning that “they were taken out of context. We know he’s proud of the support he receives in Canada.”

Chan, who’s here to defend his Grand Prix Final championship, said that when he was young he felt Canadian but that as he’s got older, he’s been more drawn to his Chinese background.

Slipchuk, whose grandparents are from Ukraine, said, “Everyone in this country is from somewhere else. And as you get older, you start appreciating more the background that you have, and want to know more.”

William Thomson, Skate Canada CEO, said that when he talked to Reuters, Chan had just returned from a tour in China, during which he had visited family.

“He was just giving some reaction to having seen his heritage,” said Thomson, who added this his own adopted daughter was born in China and he planned to make sure she appreciated that part of her background. “Patrick had just returned from spending extended time in China for the first time.”

manleywoman
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
I think he knows and is simply lamenting the fact that the popularity of his sport is nowhere near what it is in other countries.

Agreed. Even Evan Lysacek is a victim of this. Oly Gold medalist, but will never be as popular as Kwan. She was talent in the right place at the right time as far as exposure and sponsorship. He and Patrick are just never going to get those same resources. (though I don't cry for either one, since they get a lot more exposure than other Oly athletes certainly do).

He appears to be grossly underestimating the sacrifices he and his family would have to make had he been a Chinese skater. No, they wouldn't have to pay for his training but there are other forms of sacrifice.

One only has to read Lucinda Ruh's recent book to see that. There are definitely other forms of sacrifice.

NorthernDancers
12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Randy Starkman of the Toronto Star weighs in: Patrick Chan said nothing wrong – in fact he’s dead right (http://thestar.blogs.com/olympics/2011/12/patrick-chan-said-nothing-wrong-in-fact-hes-dead-right.html)

And Randy Starkman is right on... Exactly right.