PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Beefcake
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I think I'm going to wait for clarification from Patrick before I pass judgement. This interview was conducted a while ago and with an international journalist. These very well could be taken out of context, I can't honestly think he's bitter about representing Canada.
:lol: M-kay, but ... more often than not, Chan's "clarification" of prior comments is even more :watch: :slinkaway than the original.

allezfred
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
I think it's all much ado about nothing. The journalist who wrote the Globe & Mail article is a right shit-stirring hack. :rolleyes:

Sylvia
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Randy Starkman of the Toronto Star weighs in: Patrick Chan said nothing wrong – in fact he’s dead right (http://thestar.blogs.com/olympics/2011/12/patrick-chan-said-nothing-wrong-in-fact-hes-dead-right.html)

nubka
12-08-2011, 03:59 PM
:blah::rolleyes::shuffle: I'm amazed that the weight of this kid's ego allows him to walk upright, much less skate.

:lol: :lol: :lol:...

jjane45
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Just curious, as you seem to be in the know :sekret: What is the "different feeling" exactly that Chinese fans have about Chan vs Kwan or Zhang?

Based on limited reading of chinese message boards, much more negative vibes in general toward Chan compared to the usual national pride and goodwill for elite skaters of Chinese heritage. I do not know the exact cause, but overscoring and ego issues are often mentioned.

PCFan
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Randy Starkman of the Toronto Star weighs in: Patrick Chan said nothing wrong in fact hes dead right (http://thestar.blogs.com/olympics/2011/12/patrick-chan-said-nothing-wrong-in-fact-hes-dead-right.html)

ITA with Randy's take on the interview. And he's also correct in saying that this controversy has most likely generated more interest in the GPF. I'm sure there will be people tuning in hoping to see Patrick fail, but if he wins for Canada he just may change their minds.

Hirschel
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Regardless of how people feel about his comments, this is it for Chans career or sponsorship opportunities. Canadian Corporations will never sponsor a "traitor".

The Globe and Mail article currently has 441 responses, 412 of them negative. That is more exposure than any article on figure skating has gotten in the Globe, even more than Joannie Rochettes mom dying - which only got 350ish the first day.

MASSIVE negative exposure.

He should have laid the blame where it belonged, at Skate Canada's doorstep. Their clownish promotional skills have really collapsed public interest in Canadian figure skating over the last 3 years.

Patrick Chan won't recover from this. It has already gone viral. He will be addressing his lack of patriotism for rest of his life. Unfortunately all Skate Canada' athletes will pay the price for it, as interest in skating now hyper collapses.

Expect many in vain, Patriotic statements from Chan, waving the Canadian flag, which nobody will see. The "traitor" frame has already been cast.

I expect a lot of denial and defending comments, but I have worked in marketing for a while. I've seen many times over, how things like this actually end. It takes massive amounts of press and media to counter something like this, and even then, around 50% of people still take your first statement as your true feeling, else why would you have said it. The best Patrick could do, with literally millions of dollars in counter PR, is to split the opinion.

Welcome to the nasty reality of a world ruled by "sound bites".

WildRose
12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Chan has to know that skating isn't as popular now compared to the Browning and Stojko days. Also those guys won multiple world titles whereas Chan only has.

Exactly, Patrick can't expect the same kind of recognition with 1 world gold as Kurt with 4, or Elvis with 3. Plus as Champions they actively promoted skating in Canada - made themselves available to the media, did special appearances, worked for numerous charities, appeared in shows and tours, and generally did everything they could to help raise the profile of the sport, to benefit not only themselves but other Canadian skaters as well.

BittyBug
12-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm sure there will be people tuning in hoping to see Patrick fail, but if he wins .....And if both happen?

:saint:

Badams
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Did I miss the part where he kicked a puppy? Because obviously I'm missing something. :lol:

Mayra
12-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Chan has to know that skating isn't as popular now compared to the Browning and Stojko days. Also those guys won multiple world titles whereas Chan only has one.

I think he knows and is simply lamenting the fact that the popularity of his sport is nowhere near what it is in other countries.

I'd say Chan's comments were in part lament and in part short sided. Neither of which makes him a bad person.
I think he's looking at things through a figure skating perspective. The reality of skating in China and being a part of the government funded sports system involves more than being financially funded. Also what of life outside of skating for his parents? His parents migrated from their home country for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with skating and everything to do with things like education, jobs, quality of life etc. For such a filter free guy, I wonder if he's considered the filter he'd have to live through in a Chinese system? There are bigger prices to pay and sacrifices to make than the monetary.

I've no doubt in the next few days we'll get a few nice quotes about his love of Canada and I'll have no doubt about his sincerity. I think he loves his country but took a short sided view in the lament of the state of the sport in Canada and his financial hardships. He's a smart guy, but at 20 still very young. JMO

professordeb
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Did I miss the part where he kicked a puppy? Because obviously I'm missing something. :lol:

Naw, it's just Patrick being Patrick and people getting their knickers tied up in a knot about about it. I'm agreeing with Starkman - much ado about nothing yet again and let's play the blame game with Chan.

nlyoung
12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Randy Starkman of the Toronto Star weighs in: Patrick Chan said nothing wrong in fact hes dead right (http://thestar.blogs.com/olympics/2011/12/patrick-chan-said-nothing-wrong-in-fact-hes-dead-right.html)

Finally a voice of reason, and someone who actually took Chan's comments in their proper context! Chan can be criticized for many things, but nothing in this article reads as anything but a musing on the state of figure skating and his renewed pride in his Chinese heritage, something we actually encourage here in Canada. This was an interview conducted after his first ever visit to China, the country of his parents' birth, and he was understandably emotional about it. He was born in Canada, raised Canadian, competes for Canada, and of course considers himself to be Canadian. Give it a rest people!:rolleyes:

IceAlisa
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
The Toronto Star article perseverates about how Patrick didn't say he wanted to compete for China. Yes, we know.

He appears to be grossly underestimating the sacrifices he and his family would have to make had he been a Chinese skater. No, they wouldn't have to pay for his training but there are other forms of sacrifice.

I don't know what goes on in Canada in terms of skating popularity but to my rude Amerikan eye it seems that it's more popular than it is in the US.

Rex
12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Regardless of how people feel about his comments, this is it for Chans career or sponsorship opportunities. Canadian Corporations will never sponsor a "traitor".

The Globe and Mail article currently has 441 responses, 412 of them negative. That is more exposure than any article on figure skating has gotten in the Globe, even more than Joannie Rochettes mom dying - which only got 350ish the first day.

MASSIVE negative exposure.

He should have laid the blame where it belonged, at Skate Canada's doorstep. Their clownish promotional skills have really collapsed public interest in Canadian figure skating over the last 3 years.

Patrick Chan won't recover from this. It has already gone viral. He will be addressing his lack of patriotism for rest of his life. Unfortunately all Skate Canada' athletes will pay the price for it, as interest in skating now hyper collapses.

Expect many in vain, Patriotic statements from Chan, waving the Canadian flag, which nobody will see. The "traitor" frame has already been cast.

I expect a lot of denial and defending comments, but I have worked in marketing for a while. I've seen many times over, how things like this actually end. It takes massive amounts of press and media to counter something like this, and even then, around 50% of people still take your first statement as your true feeling, else why would you have said it. The best Patrick could do, with literally millions of dollars in counter PR, is to split the opinion.

Welcome to the nasty reality of a world ruled by "sound bites".
I'm afraid some folks are going to take it this way, regardless of what he claims to have meant.