PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Proustable
12-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Ah, Proustable, but again I think Chan needs to be clearer what he means. It seems pretty much that he says a lot of things without thinking. Lots of things would not have been required in China for his parents to "sacrifice," but you can be sure a whole lot of other things would have been required for him and his parents to "sacrifice." Chan needs to read, The Second Mark (section on Shen and Zhao), and Lucinda Ruh's Frozen Teardrop. He also needs to speak with Chen Lu and other retired former Chinese figure skaters about the "sacrifices" required of them and their parents by the Chinese federation, not to mention the Chinese government.

Absolutely, and I don't mean to diminish that.

jjane45
12-08-2011, 05:26 AM
The word "trapped" was a poor choice. Based on message boards, Chinese fans in general also seem to have a different feeling about Chan compared to Michelle Kwan or Caroline Zhang.

bek
12-08-2011, 05:31 AM
I tend to agree with Sylvia's take that he was thinking of basically getting a free ride financially if he were to skate in China.

But overall I think his comments were pretty clear--he doesn't feel he's getting enough recognition in Canada, and he thinks if he were competing in China, he would be getting that. Also, I don't think that Chan was being immature. I think he has (and has had for quite some time) a very strong ego. And I think his comments have consistently reflected that over the years. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is what it is.

Well Patrick may very well have an ego, but plenty of people with egos also have filter abilities. I suspect that's Patrick's real problem. He probably doesn't always mean for his words to sound the way they do... I'm starting to find it entertaining.

flowerpower
12-08-2011, 05:32 AM
. Also, I don't think that Chan was being immature. I think he has (and has had for quite some time) a very strong ego. And I think his comments have consistently reflected that over the years. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is what it is.

I agree. Yet few people become champions without that mindset. We may love our modest heroes, yet they rarely win the biggest prizes. (And if they do not win, they ultimately lose our support, with few exceptions.)

skateboy
12-08-2011, 05:34 AM
The comment about China is ridiculous. It would have been so much easier for his parents in China? Really, Patrick? You'd think they'd immigrated for a reason.

Exactly.

I'm not really a Chan hater--in some ways I kind of like him, as he always strikes me as kind of a loveable, goofy kid.

But his comments do turn me off and make me not want to root for him. (Honestly, I don't see him as the sharpest knife in the drawer... not saying he's dumb, but by now I'd expect him to be a bit more savvy during interviews.)

flowerpower
12-08-2011, 05:37 AM
, but plenty of people with egos also have filter abilities. I suspect that's Patrick's real problem. He probably doesn't always mean for his words to sound the way they do... I'm starting to find it entertaining.

Good point. :lol:

IceAlisa
12-08-2011, 05:46 AM
I love his skating, just adore it. I didn't love this particular comment, though.

aftershocks
12-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I tend to agree with Sylvia's take that he was thinking of basically getting a free ride financially if he were to skate in China.

But overall I think his comments were pretty clear--he doesn't feel he's getting enough recognition in Canada, and he thinks if he were competing in China, he would be getting that. Also, I don't think that Chan was being immature. I think he has (and has had for quite some time) a very strong ego. And I think his comments have consistently reflected that over the years. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is what it is.

Understand your meaning agalisgv.

The thing is, in Chan's "stream of consciousness," he was maybe looking at China through rose-colored glasses. As Yukari Lepisto has already referenced, if Chan's parents had stayed in southern China, Chan might never have had the opportunity to become a figure skater, much less might his parents have even been in any financially viable position -- which would have made their lack of having to make "financial sacrifices" meaningless.

Lots of 21 year olds are immature IMO, due to not having had much experience of living, unless they are wise old souls. :) Indeed Chan does seem to have a "strong ego." I think it has been enhanced further by the hype that has surrounded him. In any case, perhaps his "strong ego" will keep him in good stead during these Groundhog Days, which in my impertinence I think he may be experiencing. ;)

Vash01
12-08-2011, 05:53 AM
If the intent of this thread is to create sympathy for Chan you have failed. Most N.American skaters (that's from USA & Canada) have roots in another country/culture. Nothing unusual about what Chan is feeling. Do you think (for example) Michelle Kwan or Naomi Nari Nam did not feel caught between two cultures? They did not go public with their feelings.

aftershocks
12-08-2011, 06:11 AM
^^ Good point.

The word "trapped" was a poor choice. Based on message boards, Chinese fans in general also seem to have a different feeling about Chan compared to Michelle Kwan or Caroline Zhang.

I agree the title is peculiar -- and a bit humorous re other connotations, as I suggested previously.

What do you mean jjane45 about how "Chinese fans in general seem to have a different feeling about Chan compared to Michelle Kwan or Caroline Zhang?"

Just curious, as you seem to be in the know :sekret: What is the "different feeling" exactly that Chinese fans have about Chan vs Kwan or Zhang?

thisyearsfool
12-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I wonder if he realizes the degree of freedom he'd have to give up for being an elite athlete for China. Shen/Zhao didn't even sleep in the same dorms after they were married because they were still training. He wouldn't see his family for long periods of time and the only thing pushing him forward would be the idea of doing it for the nation, but from his comments in the article, he wouldn't be motivated for very long.

Japanfan
12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
My sense is that Patrick thinks emotionally and just expresses whatever reflection or introspection comes to him at that the moment.

I like that about him at times, at other times I don't care.

What I like about Patrick is his skating. I don't believe for a minute that he is only just doing it for his own satisfaction.

If is, he has very talented competitors that will be happy to seize the moment in order to win a medal.

Yes, he has a big ego. And his musings about China versus Canada are forgivable given how young he is.

But he's sure not the first skater with a big ego. In fact, I think it's hard to become a world champion without one.

IceIceBaby
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
The comment that strikes me as sad is,

Chan: "I barely have any interest any more in how well I do in competitions."

Well, why should he??? This is why I happen to think the judges are absolutely doing him no favors by continuing to score him high marks when he makes many mistakes in his programs. How can you have any frame of reference for improving when you pretty much realize that no matter if you skate clean or wobble on footwork and fall on 2 or 3 jumps, you still have the competition in the bag.

I agree with you. To me he almost sounded bored to compete and when you don't have that passion anymore it will eventually show on the ice. It must have become a bit frustrating to not have any true competitors and to realize that you can skate however you like and the judges will reward on it anyways.

kwanette
12-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Maybe instead of flinging "Panties for Patrick"...someone could throw a copy of "The Second Mark"..What Shen and Zhou endured went far beyond sleeping apart as a married couple..Their training conditions as children were deplorable..

Anyway, I still love his skating and I like him...but sometimes...

luckiest1
12-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh, Patrick. What would a Canadian figure skating event be without some controversial remark from you? I love Patrick, and he is solely responsible for me being drawn back into figure skating again to the degree that I've just arrived in QC for GPF. I know there are many Canadian fans who feel the same. I am Canadian and I do not have a Chinese heritage. So I'm sorry to read these remarks. But I think sometimes, he speaks to someone on a certain subject, and is speaking emotionally and not really thinking about how his comments will translate when they are broadcast outside of the context in which they were given. In this case, quite poor timing for this interview to be released to the general media.