PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Vash01
12-14-2011, 01:13 AM
I was being sarcastic, and was trying to make the point that sometimes the protocols aren't exactly crystal-clear in bequeathing the knowledge on what skaters really need to work on. Another example: see V/T and how close they are to S/S in TR and CH. Um....ok.

Takahashi's already got (arguably) the more difficult piece of music to interpret, the choreography is already chock-full of nuances that express the character of the music and judging by the audience reaction (both human and cat), he's extremely effective in selling it to the crowds and making people actually like the polarizing music. I'm not even Takahashi and I feel frustrated....

Not as many as the judges, it appears ;)

Glad to know you were being sarcastic.

LOL about the cats comments. I sent that cats link to one of my coworkers who is not into FS, and she loved the reaction of the cats.

berthesghost
12-14-2011, 06:16 AM
He said himself that he was worried that he'd hear his name boo'ed rather than cheered when he first came out for the SP, and that he was super relieved when his fears didn't come to pass. Good for him! :kickass:Just proves that the Canadian audience has a lot more class than chan does. Yet again. :lol: I actually loved how the full arena all showered dai with applause and tons of flowers and gifts. Makes chan's comments seem even more idiotic, if that's even possible. :rofl:

Bournekraatzfan
12-14-2011, 08:11 AM
I was being sarcastic, and was trying to make the point that sometimes the protocols aren't exactly crystal-clear in bequeathing the knowledge on what skaters really need to work on. Another example: see V/T and how close they are to S/S in TR and CH. Um....ok.

To be honest, I am a fan of both Takahashi and Chan, but there's no question in my mind who has the clear edge in interpretation even if the marks often don't reflect this. I was shocked that Takahashi didn't even manage to win a single category of PCS at the GPF LP despite skating so well and Chan stumbling. It just doesn't make sense to me....I mean, to improve his IN relative to Chan's, what can Takahashi do? Takahashi's already got (arguably) the more difficult piece of music to interpret, the choreography is already chock-full of nuances that express the character of the music and judging by the audience reaction (both human and cat), he's extremely effective in selling it to the crowds and making people actually like the polarizing music. I'm not even Takahashi and I feel frustrated....

ITA about the pairs scoring--I love both teams but in no way thought that V&T should be that close to S/S in transitions.

and I was also puzzled by the scoring of the men's LP. I adore Chan but thought he looked a bit off during this performance and would have given Daisuke a slight edge on P/E for this reason. I also had Dai first in IN because he just responded so well to every nuance of that music...maybe the judges hate "Blues for Klook" as much as many people on this board? ;) At least Abbott is finally getting the PCS respect he deserves and I cannot wait to see what it will be when he skates that program to its potential. His LP moves me to tears each and every time--by far my favourite men's program this season and one of my all-time favourites.
and congrats to Patrick on the Lou Marsh Trophy!

Sylvia
12-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Chan appeared on CTV's Canada AM show today - link to article & video: http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111214/patrick-chan-undefeated-season-lou-marsh-award-111214/20111214/?hub=MontrealSports

Sugar
12-17-2011, 06:05 AM
The truth behind Patrick Chan’s China crisis
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/the-truth-behind-patrick-chans-china-crisis/article2274646/page1/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/the-truth-behind-patrick-chans-china-crisis/article2274646/page2/

algonquin
12-17-2011, 03:25 PM
In English, Mr. Chan tends to talk in a stream-of-consciousness fashion and the words sometimes tumble out like freshets of water, uninhibited. After all, English is not his first language. It is his third.

At home, his father speaks French to him; his mother Cantonese. They thought it would be a good idea for their son to speak several languages, and they left it up to him to pick up English in his daily life. From the beginning, he attended a French school.He really is quite an accomplished young men.

Mevrouw
12-17-2011, 04:02 PM
He's also a very good pianist.

kwanfan1818
12-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I think it's rather funny that "The Globe and Mail", which picked up the story and made it the headliner on its sports page, now is rather piously setting the record straight with the story it should have published in the first place.

Triple Butz
12-17-2011, 05:51 PM
He's also a very good pianist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i48_Q2pJwQE

No, he's not. I've taught 5-year-olds that can play Fur Elise perfectly.

I would say he's at a beginner's level and very mediocre at that.

berthesghost
12-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I think it's rather funny that "The Globe and Mail", which picked up the story and made it the headliner on its sports page, now is rather piously setting the record straight with the story it should have published in the first place.:confused: The main point of the new story seems to be: "don't hate him for the jerky things he says, he no speak the English so good", which of course, we all understood perfectly from the first story. :lol:

VarBar
12-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Just proves that the Canadian audience has a lot more class than chan does. Yet again. :lol: I actually loved how the full arena all showered dai with applause and tons of flowers and gifts. Makes chan's comments seem even more idiotic, if that's even possible. :rofl:

Just wondering what YOUR interviews would sound like if you ever had to give any.:rolleyes:

mkats
12-18-2011, 06:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i48_Q2pJwQE

No, he's not. I've taught 5-year-olds that can play Fur Elise perfectly.

I would say he's at a beginner's level and very mediocre at that.

:lol: Cute video, but you are right.

kwanfan1818
12-18-2011, 07:54 AM
:confused: The main point of the new story seems to be: "don't hate him for the jerky things he says, he no speak the English so good", which of course, we all understood perfectly from the first story. :lol:
The main points of the new story are the context in which he made his comments and that the interview was months old.

caseyedwards
12-18-2011, 08:55 AM
The Globe and Mail article is odd. Chan's fifth place finish had nothing to do with not doing a quad and why he is learning it now. Obviously quads were irrelevent to winning or getting bronze. He was just flat out sloppy all over the place. They should blame his injuries not his lack of quad.

bek
12-18-2011, 07:19 PM
If I recall correctly, I believe Katarina Witt once said the same thing about the East German sports machine (about how she might not have been able to skate if she had not been in East Germany - does everyone here remember East Germany or am I showing my age? ;)) and she also got lambasted for it.

I actually don't think its the same at all, in fact its the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong yes Katerina and Chan were both praising governments/systems that had human rights abuses etc. But the difference ends there Witt was expressing gratitude towards the system that developed her. Whereas Chan was talking about how life might be better if he had been developed elsewhere.

I doubt that growing up in the East German system was fun in games, I remember reading her parents were never able to see her compete, she was spied on etc. But she also looks at it and says, but under another system my parents would have never been able to afford to let me skate. I actually think there's something that can be said for a person who can look past the bad stuff and be grateful that opportunity that was given her. Recognizing that yeah she might have had more freedom elsewhere but likely wouldn't have had the same skating training. One of the criticisms people are having of Chan is that sure he'd have had more funding in China, but not the same access to training. So he might not be Patrick Chan if he trained elsewhere. Katerina Witt is smart enough to realize she wouldn't be Katerina Witt if she had lived elsewhere.

I don't like how the Communist sports machines treated their athletes, but I actually do think there's something to be said for giving talented young kids the opportunity to learn sports and art.