PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Louise
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I can go both ways on this. I like someone who speaks his mind. It's not boring, that's for sure. However. The apparent 'biting the hand that feeds you' really should be kept off record. Can you imagine if Mirai Nagasu did an interview where she wished she could skate for Japan because she's not really recognized in the US, still has debts, and is more appreciated there? I think a similar uproar would ensue. He's had some bad press in the past, and it seems mandatory that he scale it back, and be boring. You could tell Evan Lysacek had a great deal to say, but he kept it short and polite. Skating is a gentleman's sport, so he can't just spout off.

I understand him being a first generation Chinese. One of my best friends since HS is first generation Chinese. All throughout HS she turned her back on her Chinese roots. She had an American first name but her middle name was decidedly Chinese, and she refused to tell people what it was, because she wanted to distance herself from her Chinese background. Now she's fine with it and embraces that part of her ancestry.

As for Elvis, well, he did come along at the right time to make $$$ with endorsements, his own tour, etc. Luck of the draw. It's a bad worldwide economy now, not too much money out there for skaters. And also, Elvis had the 'Elvis' schtick, no one else in the world is named Elvis and here is a multiple world champ with an identifiable name. Plus, if Elvis did not have the name or country and instead was skating for China I can guarantee you he never would have become world champ. He would have been Chengjiang Li and had a similar career. Elvis just needs to keep quiet. IMO.

Triple Butz
12-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I loved Elvis back when he was competing but find his comments quite tedious. I'm reminded of that stupid movie "Field of Dreams": built it, and he will come.

Support doesn't always come when you do something because you love it.

Elvis himself should no that first-hand. His whole career was about doing it his way and he complained constantly about the support he deserved but didn't get.

I agree, but complaining about it isn't going to help one bit. If you are looking to endear yourself to people, the LAST thing you want to do is point your finger at them. It's like he's saying, "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME? I WON WORLDS, G*D D@^^IT!"

Vash01
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I understand him being a first generation Chinese. One of my best friends since HS is first generation Chinese. All throughout HS she turned her back on her Chinese roots. She had an American first name but her middle name was decidedly Chinese, and she refused to tell people what it was, because she wanted to distance herself from her Chinese background. Now she's fine with it and embraces that part of her ancestry.

She is an exception, speaking in general of children of first generation immigrants. You can't draw conclusions based on one person, even if it's your best friend. I am speaking from first hand experience and have a much larger database to draw conclusions from.

IMO Chan was influenced by his recent visit to China, but instead of speaking up his deepest feelings in public he needed to be more diplomatic in media interview. I don't see a connection between your friend and Chan's experience.

Judy
12-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I would be very, very surprised.

Why would Skate Canada want to this type of circus surrounding its biggest star right before the start of a major international event being held in Canada.

This has to be a huge distraction for Chan and I very much doubt SC wanted this at all.

I agree with Rafter.. Of course they wouldn't play a part. Skate Canada would not go looking for this type of sensational or controversial headlines. The media has to be handled carefully and hopefully there is realization that Patrick needs help with this. He's an extraordinatory talented athlete and skater but his maturity has to be handled. It wouldn't have been hard for the media to time this article as they did.

berthesghost
12-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I was thinking of mirai too, since she too enjoys a good post "stream of conscious" interview backlash. :lol: but I was also wondering how much of this is because it's Canada. Tiffany chin was 30 years ago and mirai has the stream of Tiffany, debi, kristi and Michelle to pave the way for her. 30 years can be the difference between thinking norwicki is too hard to handle, and "ladies and gentlemen, your national medalists Kwan, kwiatkowski and Lipinski" without blinking an eye. I wonder if anyone asked charlene wong what she thought of all this.

overedge
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Wow - Skate Canada Is demanding a correction and an apology from the Globe & Mail. Good for them!

Actually, no. It makes them look like they have no idea about how the media operates. The story was written by a reporter from Reuters. A Globe and Mail reporter did not write the article or do the interview, and so the Globe has no way of knowing if the quotes were accurate or not. And please, don't anybody start about how the Globe should have confirmed the article before they ran it, because (a) no newspaper on Earth has the staff to vet the accuracy of every story that is provided by a wire service, and (b) Reuters is generally a very reliable source.

If SC wants an apology, they should be demanding it from Reuters. For them to huffily demand one from the Globe makes them look very amateurish and ill-informed.

Rafter
12-09-2011, 08:52 PM
The problem is, overedge, that the G&M ran with the Reuters story and insinuated certain things in their article that were incorrect.

overedge
12-09-2011, 09:01 PM
The problem is, overedge, that the G&M ran with the Reuters story and insinuated certain things in their article that were incorrect.

I think that's a matter of interpretation, but the SC press release is pretty clear in defining the source as Reuters, so they should be demanding the apology from them. Or at least from both Reuters and the Globe.

SC might also want to keep in mind that the G&M is one of the few large newspapers in Canada that covers skating regularly, so to take this kind of confrontational stance with them is maybe not the best tactic. This isn't to say that SC shouldn't complain if it feels it is receiving inaccurate coverage, but this issue might be resolved better by, say, a private conversation between the parties, rather than this public showdown. IME pretty much the only time an apology or retraction will be given is if there is a blatant factual inaccuracy (like misidentifying someone in a photo caption) or if lawyers get involved and it's easier to run an apology than risk the $$$ of losing a lawsuit.

bardtoob
12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
"I do (wish I could have represented both China and Canada when I compete). That would be the ideal situation... in a perfect world."

I wish he could split the difference and represent Alaska :lol:

It could happen . . . stranger things have happened . . . anti-government healthcare Caribou Barbie used to mooch off Canadian healthcare.

ETA: Seriously, he is critical about how much respect Canada gives to figure skating . . . don't they love that S@#T.

marbri
12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Overedge.

Have you actually read the original reuter article and compared it to the GLobe and Mail version??

overedge
12-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Overedge.

Have you actually read the original reuter article and compared it to the GLobe and Mail version??

I have, and again I think it's a judgement call. There are things in there which I personally would have called Reuters to check - like the claim that the interview was conducted "prior to" this week's GPF final. Technically that is true, but the wording makes it sounds like it happened quite recently. And since the G&M would be notified of when skaters were available for interviews, they should have been a little suspicious if Reuters claimed to have a recent interview when nobody else did. But I also found this on the current online version of the G&M story:

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Patrick Chan compared the way he is being treated with the way Elvis Stojko and Kurt Browning were treated in the 1980s and 1990s. This version has been corrected.

Skittl1321
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM
like the claim that the interview was conducted "prior to" this week's GPF final.

I would LOVE to know how anyone would conduct an article after the GPF, and publish it before...

To me, that is intentionally deceiving, they want it to sound recent. Otherwise they would have given the time frame in reference to what it actually took place near.

overedge
12-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I would LOVE to know how anyone would conduct an article after the GPF, and publish it before...

What I was getting at was that (according to SC) the interview took place as part of the high performance training camp, which was three months ago. So technically it was "prior to" the GPF, not after.

To me, that is intentionally deceiving, they want it to sound recent. Otherwise they would have given the time frame in reference to what it actually took place near.

I agree, and this is why the G&M should have been suspicious. If Chan was available for interviews this week or close to it, they surely would have known about it. Contacting Reuters to confirm when the interview actually took place might not have turned up some of the other problems with the story, but IME if they found out that the timing of the interview was a little suspicious, that might have led to some other checking.

Skittl1321
12-09-2011, 11:08 PM
What I was getting at was that (according to SC) the interview took place as part of the high performance training camp, which was three months ago. So technically it was "prior to" the GPF, not after.

Yes, but what I was getting at is how stupid it is to say it was prior to the GPF. The article was published before the GPF. Of course the interview took place before it. That's what we like to call "Captain Stating the Obvious"

Rafter
12-09-2011, 11:40 PM
IME pretty much the only time an apology or retraction will be given is if there is a blatant factual inaccuracy (like misidentifying someone in a photo caption) or if lawyers get involved and it's easier to run an apology than risk the $$$ of losing a lawsuit.

Well, Patrick Chan's father is a lawyer so...... maybe he should sue the G&M over this piece of "journalism". :shuffle: