PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Japanfan
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Skate Canada CEO William Thompson's statement on the Chan coveragehttp://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=1962aa56-b24f-480d-947b-04a57a481df4

Nice and clean, very nice and clean..

Those folks at Skate Canada are more slippy than ice.

Rex
12-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Stick to skating, Stojko tells Chan, and love will follow
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/stick-to-skating-stojko-tells-chan-and-love-will-follow/article2265134/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Sports&utm_content=2265134
“It takes time to build a persona and a connection,” said Stojko, who was also a two-time Olympic silver medalist and a seven-time Canadian champ. “Winning once doesn’t do it. The problem with [what Chan said] is that he can’t blame the fans, he can’t blame the people. Just because you’re not being embraced the way you expected, to me it means you’re not really doing it for the right reasons. I think he needs to be really careful in what he says. It looks like all he wants is recognition and appreciation.

“If you do it for the love of the sport, then the support will come.”

Why is Stojko inserting himself into this? Does he have to pipe up every time there is a controversy? I still haven't forgotten his comments about "masculinity". :rolleyes:

Is he just struggling to stay relevant?
Maybe Elvis should have just stayed mum on this...
At least we know that Chan got Skatebladeinmouthitis from Elvis :P.

marbri
12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice and clean, very nice and clean..

Those folks at Skate Canada are more slippy than ice.

What do you mean? That statement from Thompson sums up exactly my feelings on the situation as well. The Globe and Mail article that has gotten so much attention in Canada is not at all the same article done with reuters. The slant and interpretation is pathetic, misleading and tabloid journalism They should be made to apologize imo. Standards have really dropped in this world when it comes to media. With all the entertainment 24 hour news channels, tabloid style journalism nobody just reports the facts anymore and let the reader think about what is going on. We have become so freaking lazy that we accept the way they present things to us which is to find the most controversial angle to run with so you sell as many papers you can or get as many hits as you can. All about the almighty advertising dollar and fcuk the lives we ruin in the process.

Shame on us.

Japanfan
12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
What do you mean?

I mean that what they didn't say was more interesting than what they did say - which was worded nicely and very polished.

Basically, I think they may have played a part in getting the article published in the first place as a publicity gimmick. The timing is just far too curious.

kwanfan1818
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
ETA: I think part of the thing with Chan not touring in Canada is that he probably gets paid infinitely more money touring in Korea, Japan and Korea than he does doing 10 stops of CSOI.
And the other result besides :bribe: is that he is popular with fans in Korea, Japan, and Korea.

Was Patrick even old enough to know what was going on?
Maybe not, but until he was 15, his coach was Osborne Colson, who knew just about everything about skating history over a century, and who was not a navel-gazing PC type.

berthesghost
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
:wall: I was trying to explain my opinion of and my experiences with immigrants and why I think that Chan may have said some of the things he did. As many of Chan's ubers can attest to, I am not Chan's biggest fan nor his biggest critic, but do think that this is an overreaction to something that could be explained in a logical manner. I will refrain from further discussion. Sheesh :rolleyes:
Fwiw, my personal experiences match yours. It is very common IMHO and I can think of dozens of examples. Its funny how we each have different experiences. I read vash's experience and it has zero to do with my own. Can't think of one single example. I wonder if it h anything to do with generation, or area, or if it's just random personal experience. Interesting.

WildRose
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Skate Canada CEO William Thompson's statement on the Chan coverage
http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=1962aa56-b24f-480d-947b-04a57a481df4

Wow - Skate Canada Is demanding a correction and an apology from the Globe & Mail. Good for them!

Hirschel
12-09-2011, 02:53 PM
A correction? It appears Skate Canada initiated the G&M article in the first place. This is looking like another botched attempt at Skate Canada to promote itself. These people have a long history of really bad promotional decisions.

berthesghost
12-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow - Skate Canada Is demanding a correction and an apology from the Globe & Mail. Good for them!
Shrug. I doubt they'll get it, or even expect it. Sounds more like damage control to me. A tape recorder can prove what was said, but how can one prove they didn't say something?

While I agree that this has gotten way out of hand, with the silly accusations of lack of patriotism etc... As far as the quotes and ideas we are all discussing here, the original article is controversial enough IMHO. I expect fsu to still be discussing his actual quotes for years to come in the same way we still bring up things plushy, yags, irina, nancy, etc... Said. They all still made crazy $$$ despite their skateinmouthitis, so pat may still get his wish. A few more gold medals will help restore his rep, way more than any article or spin.

I also find this way too little way too late from sc. People have been complaining about chan's interview remarks for years. They should have got him into media traing a long time ago and nipped this in the bud, not wait until it all blows up I. Their faces and then write scolding accusations after the fact. He's their biggest star by far, and this is how they are packaging him? If sc was a corporation and pc a product, people would be fired overthis.

allezfred
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
A correction? It appears Skate Canada initiated the G&M article in the first place.

Source?

Rafter
12-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Basically, I think they may have played a part in getting the article published in the first place as a publicity gimmick. The timing is just far too curious.

I would be very, very surprised.

Why would Skate Canada want to this type of circus surrounding its biggest star right before the start of a major international event being held in Canada.

This has to be a huge distraction for Chan and I very much doubt SC wanted this at all.

sequins
12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
As a Chan fan this doesn't change my perception of him one bit. I think it's a damn shame the way this crap gets blown out of proportion. People that bad mouth him because of this hated him to begin with so who cares? We all say things that sometimes don't come out the way we mean them, it happens. Unfortunately Chan's are printed and (mis)interpreted for the whole world to see. He's apologized and tried to explain. For some that will never be enough, nothing will, again who cares? Move on, and forget it Patrick and skate like the champ you are, for Canada and for yourself that will speak louder than anything.

alilou
12-09-2011, 04:26 PM

It appears Skate Canada initiated the G&M article in the first place.

:confused: Why would either of you think that :confused:

Or did you just make it up?

flowerpower
12-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Basically, I think they may have played a part in getting the article published in the first place as a publicity gimmick.

:confused: Completely disagree. Not only could this kind of publicity throw Chan off his game at a major event, it could undermine his popularity over the longer term. Hopefully that will not be the case.

Tempest in a teapot. I hope Patrick can stay focused this weekend and do his best.

WildRose
12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
:confused: Completely disagree. Not only could this kind of publicity throw Chan off his game at a major event, it could undermine his popularity over the longer term. Hopefully that will not be the case.
Tempest in a teapot. I hope Patrick can stay focused this weekend and do his best.

I totally agree. I'm sure this has been a nightmare for Skate Canada as well as Patrick and I think they've handled it the best they can. Skating fans in Canada will understand but I hope this doesn't ruin Patrick's chances for sponsorships in the future.