PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Japanfan
12-09-2011, 02:06 AM
And then on top of that the fact that he never acknowledges that he gets overmarked and should be grateful for his placements!

He does acknowledge at least that other people think he's overmarked. In a link posted here he said he reads negative comments about his skating on You Tube. And on CTV's coverage of Skate Canada this year he directly said in an interview that that "some people won't think I deserved the marks". (Or it was the win.)

It's sad that Chan didn't want to spend money for a text or a taxi. Reflecting back on other comments he's made about money (i.e. "I have to save what I make") and his parents, it's very likely that he has the same mind-set towards money as his parents. My hunch is that it is very much a 'don't have enough' mind-set. How people think about money doesn't always depend on how much money they have.

And Patrick's parents could have laid a lot of guilt on him for the money they have spent and all the sacrifices they have mind. I remember a shot of his parents at Nationals last year when Patrick won. They barely smiled at the end of his performance. Not that this necessarily says anything, but it was impossible not to get the feeling that the parents had a load expectations for Patrick, as opposed to just being happy for him.

Just another version of the controlling Asian parent story, which might be further supported by the fact that Chan's mother went with him to Colorado Springs. She's still there, I think?

Chan is quite old enough to live on his own away from his family.

Alixana
12-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Whether we as a figure skating board recognize it or not, hockey is bigger than figure skating in Canada. I believe that he was trying to give a reference for the recognition aspect, not say that Canada does not recognize him, just that hockey stars are more recognizable.

Agree. I was staying in a hotel in downtown Toronto during the 2010 Olys. Traffic outside the hotel went on as normal while V&M skated to gold, but when the Canadian hockey team was playing for the gold, there was ZERO traffic outside my window. I remember news reports saying that emergency room visits and phone/cell phone traffic fell drastically during the gold medal hockey game. THAT'S how we feel about our hockey! Some of us love figure skating more, but we need to recognize that not everyone else does. :D

seaner00
12-09-2011, 03:38 AM
I think Patrick's head has grown too big for his own good....

The Observer
12-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Elvis Stojko gives some advice to Chan in a new interview:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/stick-to-skating-stojko-tells-chan-and-love-will-follow/article2265134/

"It takes time to build a persona and a connection,” said Stojko, who was also a two-time Olympic silver medalist and a seven-time Canadian champ. “Winning once doesn’t do it. The problem with [what Chan said] is that he can’t blame the fans, he can’t blame the people. Just because you’re not being embraced the way you expected, to me it means you’re not really doing it for the right reasons. I think he needs to be really careful in what he says. It looks like all he wants is recognition and appreciation.

“If you do it for the love of the sport, then the support will come.”

overedge
12-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Elvis Stojko gives some advice to Chan in a new interview:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/stick-to-skating-stojko-tells-chan-and-love-will-follow/article2265134/

Look at post #197.

bek
12-09-2011, 03:48 AM
What I found shocking was Patrick's complaints about the new system. I think Patrick would have a difficult time in a system that had severe deductions for fa lls in the short.

Jot the Dot Dot
12-09-2011, 04:04 AM
I interpreted Chan's comment that his "parents wouldn't have had to make as much sacrifices as they have" to mean that they would have sacrificed less financially because China's elite sports programs fund their athletes (all expenses paid for the most part?). But I'm not sure if Chan is fully aware of the "down side" of being a part of the Chinese sports machine...

ITA. For one thing, can you imagine what woulf happen to any Chinese skater in any dicipline who had the audacity to make such comments about his/her/their not being appreciated in China?

ETA: He backed away from his comments, saying that he was moved by how the Chinese officials treated him and his parents when he visited there. Someone should explain to him the concept of a 'Potemkin Village'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_Village

Vash01
12-09-2011, 04:46 AM
In some respects I agree with Chan - skating is an expensive sport. China does have a system that supports its athletes to be able to train without a huge financial commitment. If he skated in China, he would have some advantages that he does not have in North America. Whether we as a figure skating board recognize it or not, hockey is bigger than figure skating in Canada. I believe that he was trying to give a reference for the recognition aspect, not say that Canada does not recognize him, just that hockey stars are more recognizable.

If I read the article correctly he is the first generation Canadian of Chinese immigrants? In general, first generation of immigrants try to distance themselves from their parents' country or origin during their high school years and it is not until one matures that one begins to appreciate their heritage - in Patrick's case China. I think because of his extensive travels and interaction with other cultures, Patrick is much more aware of his background than perhaps other first generation adult children of immigrants.

Do I think that Patrick needs a muzzle or a pause button to think before he speaks, yeah probably. But then who of us doesn't need one at some time(s) in our lives?

Again, I fail to see why the overscoring or falls within programs are relevant to this conversation. Maybe I am blind or something.

I am not Chan's greatest fan and do think that there are some judging issues, but that does not relate to this discussion about being caught between two worlds/remarks in an interview

I have to strongly disagree with you on first generation immigrants. No, they don't try to distance themselves from their parents' culture, at any age. Actually it has a strong influence on them, and many embrace their parents' culture, without alienating themselves from the one they live in. They really are children of two cultures- as children and as adults. If someone tries to distance himself/herself from the parents' culture, it's an exception. Your comment about Chan's culture is incorrect.

Yes, we all do need a pause button from time to time but we are not a public figure, on TV, in front of thousands of people, signing autographs. When you are famous, you have to deal with tough questions from the media, and I don't buy the excuse that he is 'young'. I don't recall Michelle Kwan ever saying something silly in the media that generated a storm. Chan seems to do it frequently, and that's what is bothersome. One would have thought he would have learned by now.

About the comments regarding the judges giving him the wins, I agree that they don't directly relate to this particular thread. On chatboards people do go off topic from time to time, and for those who were bothered by the skating results, the immature comments just rekindled the fire. I remember that Johnny Weir's comments in the media used to generate storms, so I don't see why Chan should be an exception.

In any case I think this storm will die down. It's really not that important or serious. It's not going to hurt Chan's career, and it's not going to hurt any of the posters.

crystalice
12-09-2011, 05:02 AM
Pathetic. I hope he will never shuts up. :D

Japanfan
12-09-2011, 07:10 AM
“If you do it for the love of the sport, then the support will come.”

I loved Elvis back when he was competing but find his comments quite tedious. I'm reminded of that stupid movie "Field of Dreams": built it, and he will come.

Support doesn't always come when you do something because you love it.

Elvis himself should no that first-hand. His whole career was about doing it his way and he complained constantly about the support he deserved but didn't get.

alilou
12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Chan: Comments taken completely out of context
http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=4e55187d-4c2d-4b14-a75f-0eea0dd9a636

Skate Canada CEO William Thompson's statement on the Chan coverage
http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=1962aa56-b24f-480d-947b-04a57a481df4

Debrah
12-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I find the timing of this article interesting in that the comments attributed to Chan were made several months ago, but they waited till the GPF to release the interview, almost makes one think someone is really out to undermine and distract Chan, by creating more controversy,negative feeling toward him during a critical competitive time frame...

t.mann
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I'll go even further. If Stojko had been from Uzbekistan, he wouldn't have been a World Champion and a double Olympic silver medallist. :D

You are brave!

----------------------------------------------------------
poor Chan..
I hope that Chan's GPF performances are not affected by this fuss caused by :EVILLE: Reuters.

numbers123
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I have to strongly disagree with you on first generation immigrants. No, they don't try to distance themselves from their parents' culture, at any age. Actually it has a strong influence on them, and many embrace their parents' culture, without alienating themselves from the one they live in. They really are children of two cultures- as children and as adults. If someone tries to distance himself/herself from the parents' culture, it's an exception. Your comment about Chan's culture is incorrect.

:wall: I was trying to explain my opinion of and my experiences with immigrants and why I think that Chan may have said some of the things he did. As many of Chan's ubers can attest to, I am not Chan's biggest fan nor his biggest critic, but do think that this is an overreaction to something that could be explained in a logical manner. I will refrain from further discussion. Sheesh :rolleyes:

PDilemma
12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I find the timing of this article interesting in that the comments attributed to Chan were made several months ago, but they waited till the GPF to release the interview, almost makes one think someone is really out to undermine and distract Chan, by creating more controversy,negative feeling toward him during a critical competitive time frame...

How journalism works:

Reporter assigned to cover Chan and whatever event in China, covers it. Writes story not about event but generally about Chan. Gives story to editors. There is not room on sports page because a, b, or c was a bigger story at that moment. Event passed, didn't make sense to give up space to Chan when there was no accompanying reason to cover him (i.e. competition happening or just happened). GPF time comes, makes sense to give space to skating. Chan story is sitting around, it fills space as part of "preview" coverage for event.

Not really a conspiracy. Just the day to day practicality of putting out enough but not too much content and making sure it all has enough timeliness to make sense.