PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Judy
12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't understand this. Not being on SOI is somehow disrespectful to Canada?

Where did I say it was disrespectful? It is him that is looking for fame and attention .. so join a Canadian tour. I've personally never seen him on tour in Canada. Browning always did this and made himself very familiar with Canadian audiences.

professordeb
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
A couple of things:

why is this just coming to light THREE/FOUR fricken months after the interview was done? I don't think that's normal, is it? and if now, then I'd really like an explanation as to the delay.

Elvis weighing in on Chan - I loved Elvis in the day but even I would have to acknowledge that Chan's programs are more difficult and intricate than any Elvis skated or had skated against him. He was probably correct in calling out Chan on not doing quads, but now quads are in both Chan's short & long AND in combination. Elvis may not like where COP has taken figure skating, but he and many others of that time would likely not have done as well.

Chan - gee kid, I love ya to death but sometimes a filter would be helpful cause too many people read only the headlines. Then they come to the conclusion like many here have come to -- you're a spoiled brat. I don't agree with that assessment but I do wish "stream of thought talking" is a subject you didn't excel quite so well in ... and that comes from someone who can relate a bit cause I haven't always filtered my thoughts either. Unfortunately for him, he makes the news when he makes these remarks.

To the Chan haterz -- yeah, we all get that you think he's arrogant, boastful, overmarked, the judges's darling and probably a detriment to the sport. To that, my response is blowing raspberries in your direction.

overedge
12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Where did I say it was disrespectful? It is him that is looking for fame and attention .. so join a Canadian tour. I've personally never seen him on tour in Canada. Browning always did this and made himself very familiar with Canadian audiences.

Kurt Browning also did tons of non-tour activities (like TV commentating) that made him better known in Canada. But a lot of this was after he retired from competitive skating. Chan is still competing.

Sparks
12-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Do we know if Patrick has been invited to appear in Canadian SOI?

overedge
12-08-2011, 11:46 PM
So you think a 3-time world champion, 2-time Olympic silver medallist who skated competitively at the highest level for many years is NOT an expert in figure skating, particularly in the discipline he had so many achievements?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think his competitive history gives him expertise to comment on the results of a judging system that he never competed under. He has lots of expertise in other aspects of figure skating.

allezfred
12-08-2011, 11:52 PM
As someone above said, Elvis Stojko is an expert in men's skating. Do you have superior expertise to him?

I can recognise what superior skating skills are and when it comes to that Stojko isn't fit to lick the toe of Chan's boots.

I am also superior in that I've had the good taste never to sport a karate chop mullet. :D

Don't let the bastards grind you down PChiddy! :cheer:

Vash01
12-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I can recognise what superior skating skills are and when it comes to that Stojko isn't fit to lick the toe of Chan's boots.

I am also superior in that I've had the good taste never to sport a karate chop mullet. :D

When it comes to landing difficult jumps consistently, Chan is nowhere close to Elvis. I am a fan of neither but there are things that I respect about each.

They skated under different systems, so it is quite understandable that they focused on different things in their training.

However, dismissing a highly accomplished skater like Elvis as 'not an expert in figure skating' is inexcusable.:mad:

allezfred
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
I'll go even further. If Stojko had been from Uzbekistan, he wouldn't have been a World Champion and a double Olympic silver medallist. :D

Rafter
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Uh, I think that Browning's 4 World titles and effing up at two Olympic Games when he was the favourite made him more familiar with Cdn audiences than touring with SOI. :shuffle:

That said, I do think it would be beneficial to Chan if he toured with CSOI.

ETA: I think part of the thing with Chan not touring in Canada is that he probably gets paid infinitely more money touring in Korea, Japan and Korea than he does doing 10 stops of CSOI.

Rafter
12-09-2011, 12:00 AM

I echo that.

Goooo PChiddy! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

The Observer
12-09-2011, 12:05 AM

And you're God's gift to women no doubt, too. I'm sure I'd :swoon: if I met you.

Fred, come on, let's be realistic here. You are not an expert in men's figure skating. The problem with the anonymity of the Internet is that it gives all of us an inflated sense of who we are so that we think because we watch a particular sport and post about it a lot on a message board that we are all qualified to appoint ourselves as knowledgeable.

Elvis Stojko is an expert on men's figure skating - period. That's why he's called up to comment about it, as he was by CNN last year at the Olympics.

Now of course experts can be wrong, and no one has to agree with them on everything, but nevertheless one cannot deny their expertise in the field of which they speak. That is what leads to someone in a court being called an 'expert witness' versus someone with lay knowledge.

Guinevere
12-09-2011, 12:07 AM
And do you know what I do when my kids say something similar. I give them information so they have a broader picture of reality. And their opinion might change.

I don't jump and scream and tell them they are arrogant, egotistical assholes who don't appreciate anything because I found the first 20 times I did that they always got defensive and stopped listening and learning.

That's also what I meant to get across. He's not expressing himself very well and it comes across as "tunnel vision" that he's only focused on himself (ie. "me me me") and will come with age.

Guinevere
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Uh, I think that Browning's 4 World titles and effing up at two Olympic Games when he was the favourite made him more familiar with Cdn audiences than touring with SOI. :shuffle:

That said, I do think it would be beneficial to Chan if he toured with CSOI.

ETA: I think part of the thing with Chan not touring in Canada is that he probably gets paid infinitely more money touring in Korea, Japan and Korea than he does doing 10 stops of CSOI.

Also when he was apologizing in 1994 about screwing up teh short program. So many people felt bad for him they made him a medal out of gold.

WildRose
12-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Do we know if Patrick has been invited to appear in Canadian SOI?

Yes - he was even listed in the cast one year but for whatever reason decided not to tour and they had to bring someone else in at the last minute. I like Patrick a lot, but agree with others that it would be to his benefit to do this tour. It would do him good to come home, have a little fun and let Canadian fans show him some love. Working with Kurt and learning how to interact with an audience wouldn't hurt either.

allezfred
12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
And you're God's gift to women no doubt, too. I'm sure I'd :swoon: if I met you.

Unfortunately for you, God had other plans for me. :lol:

Fred, come on, let's be realistic here. You are not an expert in men's figure skating. The problem with the anonymity of the Internet is that it gives all of us an inflated sense of who we are so that we think because we watch a particular sport and post about it a lot on a message board that we are all qualified to appoint ourselves as knowledgeable.

Elvis Stojko is an expert on men's figure skating - period. That's why he's called up to comment about it, as he was by CNN last year at the Olympics.

Now of course experts can be wrong, and no one has to agree with them on everything, but nevertheless one cannot deny their expertise in the field of which they speak. That is what leads to someone in a court being called an 'expert witness' versus someone with lay knowledge.

You have to question the judgement of anyone who was still sporting a mullet in 1998. :P