PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

The Observer
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I was responding to you at your level. :D

That's what you say, but I just think you'd have a problem with Chan however he skated. :P

Stojko is also a bitter stubby legged mulletman. I prefer to be me thanks all the same. ;)

What level? I didn't engage in any name-calling towards other posters.

And if you can't construct an argument about Elvis Stojko without insulting his appearance, what point are you making?

I hardly ever talk about Patrick Chan, so no, I don't have a vendetta against him. And like Stojko, I am Canadian, so it is not anti-Canadian to point out that Chan is overmarked.

As someone above said, Elvis Stojko is an expert in men's skating. Do you have superior expertise to him?

senorita
12-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I read it in the morning, and up until I read the comments here I didnt find anything to freak out about. Everytime there is an interview people go nuts because a skater said something beyond the usual, unless it affects his financial aid and that would be bad, I think it is just how Chan feels and what he wanted to say, so what to add? I dont know what i would say in an interview to be comme il faut, so I dont know why people expect athletes to know so many stuff about PC answers, I found funny we get so picky word by word, like we are all so careful in our life. Too much drama out of nothing I believe.

Useless info of the day, I googled trapped between two worlds and the first link was Amazon's
Trapped Between Two Worlds: Experiences of a `Ghost Buster'.:rofl:

The Observer
12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
For me and for others above, I think the issue is not this one incident. Obviously people should not be judged just on one thing but on the entirety of their actions.

What seems to be the problem is that this is one of a long series of inappropriate and arrogant comments he has made (eg. the trashing of Joubert last year, the bragging about men's skating today being more complicated than guys who skated a decade ago etc.)

And then on top of that the fact that he never acknowledges that he gets overmarked and should be grateful for his placements!

overedge
12-08-2011, 10:56 PM
For me and for others above, I think the issue is not this one incident. Obviously people should not be judged just on one thing but on the entirety of their actions.

What seems to be the problem is that this is one of a long series of inappropriate and arrogant comments he has made (eg. the trashing of Joubert last year, the bragging about men's skating today being more complicated than guys who skated a decade ago etc.) [/quote]

Well, if that is the problem then why don't you seem to be saying that? What I see here is a lot of second-hand interpretation of the specific comments he made in the story that was quoted.

And then on top of that the fact that he never acknowledges that he gets overmarked and should be grateful for his placements!

Are you serious? Maybe he doesn't think he is overmarked. Just because you think he is doesn't mean it is a fact. And I don't ever recall him saying he *wasn't* grateful for the success he has had.

kwanette
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't find Patrick to be a saint or sinner. I've met him on a few occasions and he is an affable young man. I've watched him at competitions and on the exhibition ice and he is a "regular" guy, That said, he does have a tendency to speak before thinking.I thoroughly enjoyed his exchange with Joubert at the press conference at 09 Worlds while Evan stared straight ahead and said nothing even after Patrick tried to draw him into it. I didn't appreciate his "unprofessional" comment about Johnny's wearing his fan-given crown of roses at the Olympics...what did he care what Johnny did..How is wearing a flower crown different from the waving of huge stuffed animals that are fan-given? (Of course, Johnny and his "starfish hands" comment at Worlds a month later was a payback of sorts).As far as Colorado Springs is concerned, ??????

Anyway, until he whacks Dai on the knee or stalks Jeremy Abbott on the practice ice, I'l still enjoy his skating and his wonderful feet. But he needs an agent, a good one...Wonder what Shep Goldberg is doing?

Rafter
12-08-2011, 11:05 PM
As someone above said, Elvis Stojko is an expert in men's skating. Do you have superior expertise to him?

I'm sorry but Elvis 'Mullet Man' Stojko is hardly an expert on good choreography, interpretation, transitions or even skating skills for that matter. :rolleyes:

Chan basically schools Stojko in every single aspect of figure skating with perhaps the exception of the 3A. :P

AJ Skatefan
12-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't find Patrick to be a saint or sinner. I've met him on a few occasions and he is an affable young man. I've watched him at competitions and on the exhibition ice and he is a "regular" guy, That said, he does have a tendency to speak before thinking.I thoroughly enjoyed his exchange with Joubert at the press conference at 09 Worlds while Evan stared straight ahead and said nothing even after Patrick tried to draw him into it. I didn't appreciate his "unprofessional" comment about Johnny's wearing his fan-given crown of roses at the Olympics...what did he care what Johnny did..How is wearing a flower crown different from the waving of huge stuffed animals that are fan-given? (Of course, Johnny and his "starfish hands" comment at Worlds a month later was a payback of sorts).As far as Colorado Springs is concerned, ??????

Anyway, until he whacks Dai on the knee or stalks Jeremy Abbott on the practice ice, I'l still enjoy his skating and his wonderful feet. But he needs an agent, a good one...Wonder what Shep Goldberg is doing?

Well said, kwanette! I was thinking many of those same thought. BTW, why isn't he in Canadian SOI? That would be a way for him to earn some money so that he could pay for taxi rides...

The Observer
12-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Maybe he doesn't think he is overmarked. Just because you think he is doesn't mean it is a fact. And I don't ever recall him saying he *wasn't* grateful for the success he has had.

He may be grateful for his 'success', but he hasn't said he is grateful for the generous way he has been treated by the judges.

And those of us on this board are not the only ones saying he is overmarked - there are experts in men's skating like Elvis Stojko saying the same thing. So it's not as if we don't have something to back it up with.

WildRose
12-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds like he's making the media rounds - FAN 590, Newstalk 1010 etc. I heard him apologize on Newstalk. Poor kid, no doubt he'll be a lot more careful about what he says in future.

Sk8ngCat
12-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I like Cam Cole's take on Chan's comments: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Patrick+Chan+appreciated+foot+mouth+partly+right/5832204/story.html

The Observer
12-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry but Elvis 'Mullet Man' Stojko is hardly an expert on good choreography, interpretation, transitions or even skating skills for that matter. :rolleyes:

Chan basically schools Stojko in every single aspect of figure skating with perhaps the exception of the 3A. :P

So rather than acknowledging that some of the criticism of Patrick Chan's overmarked skating may be justified, you are now attacking a great men's skater too.

There's nothing wrong with having your opinion or liking Patrick's skating if you want to, but when you start saying that a 3-time World Champion and 2-time Olympic silver medalist doesn't know much about men's skating, your argument loses credibility.

flowerpower
12-08-2011, 11:16 PM
To clarify I'm fairly certain that Chan attended a French as a first language high school, which is not the same as French immersion.

Yes, you are right. It was a French as a first language school.

Ecole Secondaire Etienne Brule is a French public high school in the Conseil Scolaire Viamonde (Viamonde School Board), which covers Toronto and southwest Ontario.

Non-francophone or non-French-heritage students can apply to be admitted to these schools if their French is sufficiently strong

overedge
12-08-2011, 11:30 PM
He may be grateful for his 'success', but he hasn't said he is grateful for the generous way he has been treated by the judges.

Maybe he thinks he is being judged fairly and not "generously".

And those of us on this board are not the only ones saying he is overmarked - there are experts in men's skating like Elvis Stojko saying the same thing. So it's not as if we don't have something to back it up with.

Elvis was a great skater himself, but his main involvement in skating right now is as a coach of relatively low-ranked skaters. I'm not sure how that makes him an 'expert in men's skating'. He seems to have no problem expressing how he feels about various aspects of men's skating, but that doesn't automatically make him an expert. Sorry, but saying over and over again that Elvis agrees with you and thus you must be right is not supporting your position very strongly.

Vash01
12-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Maybe he thinks he is being judged fairly and not "generously".

Elvis was a great skater himself, but his main involvement in skating right now is as a coach of relatively low-ranked skaters. I'm not sure how that makes him an 'expert in men's skating'. He seems to have no problem expressing how he feels about various aspects of men's skating, but that doesn't automatically make him an expert. Sorry, but saying over and over again that Elvis agrees with you and thus you must be right is not supporting your position very strongly.

So you think a 3-time world champion, 2-time Olympic silver medallist who skated competitively at the highest level for many years is NOT an expert in figure skating, particularly in the discipline he had so many achievements?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mayra
12-08-2011, 11:36 PM

I'm sorry but what a ridiculous expectation to have. No skater in his right mind is going to criticize the judges in such a way if they are actively competing. I think the fear of having some kind of blow back would always be there.

:rolleyes: