PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Guinevere
12-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I definitely think that Patrick could have worded his interview better, but I think that comes with age.

If he wanted to go on about lack of funding, that's fair but I think the WAY he did it (comparing it to another country that by most accounts is not the most pleasant of places to live) is where the problem is. I read his interview as to mean FINANCIALLY it might have been better for him (assuming he made it that far of course.) But the problem is that it comes across as such "tunnel vision" that everyone sits up and says, "Whaaaa??" And not knowing about human rights abuses doesn't help either, it just reinforces his "me me me" image. We ARE taught about this in Social Studies, even just briefly.

If I recall correctly, I believe Katarina Witt once said the same thing about the East German sports machine (about how she might not have been able to skate if she had not been in East Germany - does everyone here remember East Germany or am I showing my age? ;)) and she also got lambasted for it.

The Observer
12-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Twats. :P

Do you have anything intelligent to contribute?

The bottom line is that Patrick Chan is overmarked at every skating event and that the men's event is not judged fairly. He should not be held up every time he falls 2 or 3 times.

As Elvis Stojko said at the 2010 Olympics, Chan should have been marked lower. And since Stojko is a 2-time Olympic silver medalist, I think he knows more about men's skating than you do.

danafan
12-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Btw.. my experience with French Immersion is not the same as Dragonlady's. I went to school in Ottawa and the French Immersion kids were the smart kids :D

To clarify I'm fairly certain that Chan attended a French as a first language high school, which is not the same as French immersion.

I teach elementary French immersion and if students return to an English program and are academically behind, it's likely that they were struggling learning a second language. Students who are successful in FI and stick with it are not academically behind - supposedly they are ahead (at least that's what administrators say when promoting the program and in my experiences don't disagree).

marbri
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I definitely think that Patrick could have worded his interview better, but I think that comes with age.

If he wanted to go on about lack of funding, that's fair but I think the WAY he did it (comparing it to another country that by most accounts is not the most pleasant of places to live) is where the problem is. I read his interview as to mean FINANCIALLY it might have been better for him (assuming he made it that far of course.) But the problem is that it comes across as such "tunnel vision" that everyone sits up and says, "Whaaaa??" And not knowing about human rights abuses doesn't help either, it just reinforces his "me me me" image. We ARE taught about this in Social Studies, even just briefly.

If I recall correctly, I believe Katarina Witt once said the same thing about the East German sports machine (about how she might not have been able to skate if she had not been in East Germany - does everyone here remember East Germany or am I showing my age? ;)) and she also got lambasted for it.

And do you know what I do when my kids say something similar. I give them information so they have a broader picture of reality. And their opinion might change.

I don't jump and scream and tell them they are arrogant, egotistical assholes who don't appreciate anything because I found the first 20 times I did that they always got defensive and stopped listening and learning.

allezfred
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM

I was responding to you at your level. :D

The bottom line is that Patrick Chan is overmarked at every skating event and that the men's event is not judged fairly. He should not be held up every time he falls 2 or 3 times.

That's what you say, but I just think you'd have a problem with Chan however he skated. :P

As Elvis Stojko said at the 2010 Olympics, Chan should have been marked lower. And since Stojko is a 2-time Olympic silver medalist, I think he knows more about men's skating than you do.

Stojko is also a bitter stubby legged mulletman. I prefer to be me thanks all the same. ;)

NorthernDancers
12-08-2011, 09:52 PM

And that would be your opinion, and is not shared by everyone. We will all recall that Chan did not do well at the 2010 Olympics. Since 2010 and Stojko's comments, Chan has added a number of quads to his program, many of which are executed very cleanly. He's not perfect, but he sure can rack up the points by being the whole package. His base value is so high to begin with that he has room for errors and still to medal or win. Looking at the report cards, he consistently gets the appropriate deductions for his falls and errors. Skating is not a jumping contest. It is also not an artistry contest. It's both. And Patrick and his coaches/choreographers have done a particularly good job of helping Patrick be the full package. Sorry, but there are precious few men in the world who can match him.

Patrick's skating is a real mix of old and new school skating. He can thank Mr. Colson for his fabulous skating ability, since his coach made Patrick learn figures and all the basics. Too many skaters focus just on the elements and tricks. For Patrick, his emphasis in the beginning on basic skating makes all those elements and tricks that much better.

WildRose
12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni%5B2797%5D/1317/language/en-US/Default.aspx

12/8/2011
Patrick Chan Addresses Recent Media Coverage

Toronto, December 8, 2011 - Canadian and World champion figure skater Patrick Chan today issued the following statement concerning comments attributed to him in recent media coverage:

"In an interview three months ago with Reuters, I never intended to suggest any negative feelings toward Canada, nor our country’s proud figure skating tradition, the way in which I have been supported by Canadians.

"I am and will remain a proud Canadian. Canada has given my family and me tremendous freedom and opportunity. Canada’s figure skating history is second to none. I am honoured to skate for Canada and proud to follow great champions like Barbara Ann Scott, Don Jackson, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, and so many other distinguished men and women. I work hard every day to honour their tradition of excellence. And I have been blessed by the support and friendship shown by Canadians of every background and in every region of the country.

"At the same time, I value the heritage of my parents’ country of birth. This is as true for me as it is for Canadians of every origin. While my sentiments may have been better expressed, they make me no less Canadian, and no less dedicated to the success of Canada’s sports and figure skating programs.

"At the upcoming ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final I look forward to skating for Canada, and for continuing Canada’s great figure skating tradition.

"In conclusion, I would like to thank all those who have supported me and sincerely apologize for any misunderstandings caused by my remarks."

BigB08822
12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
He forgot the line about "and I look forward to winning by a wide margin, no matter what I do on the ice."

marbri
12-08-2011, 10:03 PM
He forgot the line about "and I look forward to winning by a wide margin, no matter what I do on the ice."

:rolleyes: Such an ass.

DFJ
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Oh God...give it up already.

IceAlisa
12-08-2011, 10:09 PM
That's definitely a sufficient statement from Patrick. He does admit that the feelings could have been better expressed and that's enough IMO.

ItalianFan
12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Stojko is also a bitter stubby legged mulletman. I prefer to be me thanks all the same. ;)[/QUOTE]

which doesn't change the fact that Elvis does probably know how to judge a skating performance better than you do....

operagirl
12-08-2011, 10:23 PM
As an audience member I see Patrick Chan as a guy who falls at almost every competition. Orser and Stojko have 2 Olympic silver medals each and 4 world titles between them. Kurt Browning has 4 world titles. Michelle Kwan has a string of beautifully emotional CLEAN performances and 5 world titles. Chang tanked at the Olympics and bumped Johnny Weir out of the exhibition. One world title isn't going to cut it. He seems like a petty brat.

Judy
12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm a Patrick Chan fan but I'm very disappointed in his comments. Wow. I have no problem with him taking pride in China and his heritage .. but when was the last time he joined SOI for a tour in Canada. I'm very disappointed in his remarks.

overedge
12-08-2011, 10:31 PM
I have no problem with him taking pride in China and his heritage .. but when was the last time he joined SOI for a tour in Canada. I'm very disappointed in his remarks.

I don't understand this. Not being on SOI is somehow disrespectful to Canada?