PDA

View Full Version : Chan trapped between two worlds

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

maatTheViking
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't understand the uproar. As soon as I saw the stuff about the Chinese Federation, I was certain he was thinking how it would make the burden easier on his parents, I think any athelete who has a lot of training cost funded by their parents carry some guilt.

I don't think he thought about the other sacrifices, and other issues living and training in China; of course you think of your own problems first. Human nature, nothing else.

marbri
12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, at least he wasn't mouthing off about how his competition would just cry again on the medal stand, and he didn't diss Mickey Mouse... :P

Seriously, he is a young man, he has few filters and could use a few more before he speaks, but to vilify him for these relatively minor remarks is ridiculous. Patrick, welcome to the real world of celebritydom, you have just learned the (painful) "Nancy Kerrigan Lesson."

:rofl: This is definitely his Mickey Mouse moment.

The Observer
12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I've held out commenting on Patrick Chan on the past because I wasn't quite sure if I was accurate in thinking he was a spoiled brat, but now I'm more convinced.

For someone who continues to be grossly overmarked at almost every event he skates at and who has been given medals he did not really earn, he should be grateful he has gotten as high as he has. At almost every event he falls multiple times and is always held up by the Code of Points system, just like Jeffrey Buttle was. Yes, he has nice choreography and footwork, but as people from Elvis Stojoko to Jeremy Abbott have commented, the way he is given preferential treatment is not right.

IceAlisa
12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Also, I was under the impression that Patrick is adored by Canadian fans. The fact that a world champion skater like Patrick cannot afford a cab ride is a sad reality of figure skating in North America. Imagine the :bribe: of Patrick's equivalent in say, basketball. It's incredibly unfair, considering elite skaters invest just as much as other athletes into their sport, if not more. So I can understand that frustration.

I will not like him any less as a person or skater because of this interview. He is so very young and how many of us can say we never said ignorant things in our 20's, without the insulation of elite skating?

marbri
12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I've held out commenting on Patrick Chan on the past because I wasn't quite sure if I was accurate in thinking he was a spoiled brat, but now I'm more convinced.

For someone who continues to be grossly overmarked at almost every event he skates at and who has been given medals he did not really earn, he should be grateful he has gotten as high as he has. At almost every event he falls multiple times and is always held up by the Code of Points system, just like Jeffrey Buttle was. Yes, he has nice choreography and footwork, but as people from Elvis Stojoko to Jeremy Abbott have commented, the way he is given preferential treatment is not right.

And that's really what this is about isn't it, just another thing to hate on :rolleyes::rolleyes:

julieann
12-08-2011, 08:42 PM

You're blaming him for something he has no control over? How dare he! His world medal is a sham!!! He should have refused the medal on the podium and spit in the judges faces!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

Zemgirl
12-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Seriously, he is a young man, he has few filters and could use a few more before he speaks, but to vilify him for these relatively minor remarks is ridiculous. Patrick, welcome to the real world of celebritydom, you have just learned the (painful) "Nancy Kerrigan Lesson."
He's been making "Nancy Kerrigan" comments for the past three seasons or so, primarily about his competitors, and doesn't seem to have learned when and how to express himself. At what point does he stop getting a free pass because of his age? There are plenty of skaters younger than Patrick who manage to give honest interviews without insulting anyone.

Figure skating is a niche sport in most countries. While I'm sure it would be nice for Patrick to get Albert Pujols-like money, that's not going to happen, and he's not going to make skating more popular than hockey in Canada, either. But he's had opportunities that most skaters can only dream about, and a higher profile than most Olympians. Why he feels the need to make these sort of comments is beyond me.

Vash01
12-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree with you. To me he almost sounded bored to compete and when you don't have that passion anymore it will eventually show on the ice. It must have become a bit frustrating to not have any true competitors and to realize that you can skate however you like and the judges will reward on it anyways.

Is that really correct? I recall seeing competitions where he was outskated by a few skaters but won anyway. It's not like there is no talent in the mens field. The judging that's doing it (making it boring for him for compete).

4rkidz
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I have witnessed first hand the type of reporting that goes on in figure skating.. no offence to the many media types that are FSU members :shuffle: but attending the press conferences at the event and listening to the type of questions Chan in particular gets asked - I actually thought at the last grand prix that one reporter in particular was trying on purpose to sensationalize rather mundane comments from the skaters.. 'so you mean to say that...' which then becomes 'Chan commented that... '.. :blah:

allezfred
12-08-2011, 09:08 PM
How any sane Canadian could consider this young man a traitor is :rofl:

Maybe he hasn't made his quota of standing ovations or doesn't carry a maple leaf pin on his person at all times..... :lol:

Interesting and all as the standard of the curriculum in Canadian French public high schools is :P, have to say that people who start screaming "HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES!!!" when the word "China" is mentioned are wankers.

marbri
12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Maybe he hasn't made his quota of standing ovations or doesn't carry a maple leaf pin on his person at all times..... :lol:

Interesting and all as the standard of the curriculum in Canadian French public high schools is :P, have to say that people who start screaming "HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES!!!" when the word "China" is mentioned are wankers.

Oh sh*t, off to hide my passport before they take it away :D

Btw.. my experience with French Immersion is not the same as Dragonlady's. I went to school in Ottawa and the French Immersion kids were the smart kids :D

skaterdelight
12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
The idiot Chan again.

The Observer
12-08-2011, 09:24 PM
This is why I happen to think the judges are absolutely doing him no favors by continuing to score him high marks when he makes many mistakes in his programs. How can you have any frame of reference for improving when you pretty much realize that no matter if you skate clean or wobble on footwork and fall on 2 or 3 jumps, you still have the competition in the bag.

Exactly. The men's figure skating event has become a farce, and has basically been ruined. I hardly ever enjoy it anymore when I know that even if Chan falls down several times, he'll be going home with the gold medal, or a silver at worst.

feraina
12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I always wondered why PJ Kwong has a Chinese-looking name. Now I know. ;)

allezfred
12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
The idiot Chan again.

Exactly. The men's figure skating event has become a farce, and has basically been ruined. I hardly ever enjoy it anymore when I know that even if Chan falls down several times, he'll be going home with the gold medal, or a silver at worst.

Twats. :P