PDA

View Full Version : NBC Coverage of Ice Dance & Pairs

Original Cat
12-06-2011, 06:15 AM
There are many people who want to know why NBC has NOT shown any of the ICE DANCE & PAIRS SGP competitions this fall. Every one of the NBC Sunday afternoon programs shows all the men and womens singles events but totally leaves out the ICE DANCE AND PAIRS. What is the reason and should we start
a write-in campaign to USFS or NBC?

Vash01
12-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Definitely start a campaign to write to NBC. It's ridiculous that ice dance and pairs are treated like step children of the network. It is somewhat surprising that they are ignoring ice dance, which is currently the strongest discipline for the USA. I think it's just old habit for the network which believes that US audiences are only interested in singles skating.

victoriaheidi
12-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Personally, I don't think a campaign would do anything. I think the flaw starts when NBC promises 2 hours of coverage of skating and uses one to cover other sports.

I just think NBC isn't getting ratings on skating because the publicity is so minor and the times suck. It was 10 AM here on Sunday! I basically slept through it.

Vash01
12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Personally, I don't think a campaign would do anything. I think the flaw starts when NBC promises 2 hours of coverage of skating and uses one to cover other sports.

I just think NBC isn't getting ratings on skating because the publicity is so minor and the times suck. It was 10 AM here on Sunday! I basically slept through it.

I missed it too because it was 11 am here, and I had barely gotten up.

On the bright side, at least they are showing some GP skating. IIRC last year we did not have even this much.

Next year they may just say, we tried but there were no viewers.

caseyedwards
12-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Any other discipline of figure skating have two current world medalists and two strong favorites for medals again? No but Dance is treated poorly. The old view of dance as not understandable should be thrown out because Americans are winning.

AJ Skatefan
12-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I missed it too because it was 11 am here, and I had barely gotten up.

On the bright side, at least they are showing some GP skating. IIRC last year we did not have even this much.

Next year they may just say, we tried but there were no viewers.

We had basically the same coverage on NBC last year. 2 hours of men and ladies, no pairs, no dance, no Cup of China. Everything else was shown on Universal Sports, even short programs. This year we're not getting much in the way of short programs on Universal Sports.

caseyedwards
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Universal Sports has to air the same snowboarding special over and over again.

julieann
12-07-2011, 01:19 AM
They didn't even show any pairs during the gala at the Olympics and S/Z have three Olympic Medals. Pairs and Dance are treated bad. :mad:

Frau Muller
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
At least Dance & Paris -- along with Men -- have gotten golden treatment on NBC's cable affiliate Universal Sports. To date, there has been no G-P series program devoted to Ladies; hence, Ladies get short-changed constantly by Team NBC/US. Team NBC-UnivSports thus appear to loathe Ladies the most. Boo!

p.s. And they're doing the same thing this weekend with the G-P Finals...no Ladies-only show on UnivSports, as they are 'saving' Ladies for the ad-filled NBC show (which means once again less of the Ladies).

berthesghost
12-08-2011, 02:37 PM
:huh: I only watched SA and they had extensive dance coverage and no ladies.

DORISPULASKI
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
CoR they showed D&W's FD without commentary.

There was something to be said for that; if they had also shown W&P's FD and B&S's FD, also without commentary, in high def, I would be a fan ...well I'm already a fan...