PDA

View Full Version : NBC skating commentary

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Civic
12-04-2011, 01:50 AM
I didn't realize Tara Lipinski and Michael Weiss were doing figure skating commentary for NBC until I watched the Cup of Russia broadcast this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they both were. While Tara is inclined to chatter on a bit, she at least offers good analysis of why a particular jump, etc. didn't work. Weiss is good at explaining what the judges are looking for in jump landings, transition moves and spins. Terry Gannon is a longtime fave of mine so it was good to see him in the commentary booth as well.

Triple Butz
12-04-2011, 02:01 AM
I didn't realize Tara Lipinski and Michael Weiss were doing figure skating commentary for NBC until I watched the Cup of Russia broadcast this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they both were. While Tara is inclined to chatter on a bit, she at least offers good analysis of why a particular jump, etc. didn't work. Weiss is good at explaining what the judges are looking for in jump landings, transition moves and spins. Terry Gannon is a longtime fave of mine so it was good to see him in the commentary booth as well.

Now who do we call to tell NBC to use them at the big events instead of Bezic and Hamilton?

Dilng
12-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Now who do we call to tell NBC to use them at the big events instead of Bezic and Hamilton?

I have sent NBC e-mails in the past and I will do it again as Tara and Michael are so much better then Sandra and Scott!!!!!

Vash01
12-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Do you just go to www.nbc.com and look for a 'contact' to send an email?

Carolla5501
12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I have sent NBC e-mails in the past and I will do it again as Tara and Michael are so much better then Sandra and Scott!!!!!

I think I am going to have to send emails too. Title. "anyone but Tara". Giggling is not a form of commentary I find appealing. Tara is no longer a cute 14 year old, but she is still trying to play the part :rolleyes:

RD
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Although Lipinski commentary IMO has dropped somewhat in quality since she started, she's still much better than the status quo, I feel...

Vash01
12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I think I am going to have to send emails too. Title. "anyone but Tara". Giggling is not a form of commentary I find appealing. Tara is no longer a cute 14 year old, but she is still trying to play the part :rolleyes:

She tells a lot about the skating; she is not just giggling (unless you consider any form of laughter a giggle) I see no resemblance between the 14 year old and the lady that is commentating. She is a lot better than some other commentators we have been listening to.

Oldsk8ter
12-07-2011, 05:18 PM

I agree. Her commentary can be quite interesting, but the giggling makes her tough to listen to.

Bev Johnston
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
My only problem with her is that she tends to be a little negative. Terry Gannon even kidded her about it at Grand Prix Paris. But, I still like her better than Sandra. She's knowledgeable and passes that knowlege on in a way that viewers can understand.

Frau Muller
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Tara is a lot better than -- who was the person with the truly-infantile voice last year...Jenny Kirk? Actually, Tara is one of the best commentators on Ladies Singles in a long time.

Yazmeen
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Given a choice between reasonably inciteful commentary an occasional girlish giggle and Scott Hamilton shrieking like a madman when someone does something well, my vote goes to TARA! TARA! TARA!

Vagabond
12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Given a choice between reasonably inciteful commentary an occasional girlish giggle and Scott Hamilton shrieking like a madman when someone does something well, my vote goes to TARA! TARA! TARA!

Totally. Every time I have to listen to Scott and his sidekick Sandra, I mutter to myself, "I'll go back to Tara."

Ajax
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM

THIS. Anything's better than Scott Hamilton straining like he's on the toilet!

Vash01
12-07-2011, 07:33 PM

I am being nitpicky here, but I think you meant 'insightful'.:)

skfan
12-07-2011, 07:53 PM
i wish NBC would offer the option of not hearing any commentary at all.