PDA

View Full Version : Who is likely to win the 2012 worlds pairs title?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vash01
12-02-2011, 09:04 PM
It's going to be an interesting competition in pairs, I think.

Who is likely to win?

MikiAndoFan#1
12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I think Savchenko & Szolkowy are the favorites to win, but it would be nice if Kavaguti & Smirnov or the Zhangs won.

briancoogaert
12-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I have the feeling that Volosozhar&Trankov will be the most consistent, that's why I voted for them.
Anyway, I love Savchenko&Szolkowy and really want them to win another World title. :)

Vash01
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I want Kawaguti-Smirnov to win the title, though I know the odds are against them.

judgejudy27
12-03-2011, 12:49 AM
It really is a toss up between the first two pairs. I also would like to see Kavaguti & Smirno winning but I would surprised if it happens. I think if everyone is clean the Germans will end up on top, but Voloszhar & Trankov are likely to skate very well and if the Germans have any problems they will take it.

DimaToe
12-03-2011, 07:09 AM
My heart wants it to be Yuko and Sasha! , but my head is telling me it will be V/T :drama:

pumba
12-03-2011, 08:01 AM
I want the title for all 4 teams. But will be happy if K/S take it and probably retire. Not that i dislike this them, but I don't see them medaling in Sochi, plus I want Iliushechkina/Maisuradze in the team.
I don't mind Z/Z making it either, since this is the biggest title they are capable of winning, and it would be pity if they end their career without it. But probably they still have a chance in the later years.
Realistically - this will be a battle of S/S with their cool programs and V/T with their big tricks.

koatcue
12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I find V/T's LP program great.I suppose S/S are not my cup of tea this year - so it'll be great if VT win this year.They deserve it

blue_idealist
12-04-2011, 01:43 AM
I think S/S will take it but it's going to be close between them and V/T. K/S will not be far behind either.

Vash01
12-04-2011, 03:30 AM
I want the title for all 4 teams. But will be happy if K/S take it and probably retire. Not that i dislike this them, but I don't see them medaling in Sochi, plus I want Iliushechkina/Maisuradze in the team.
I don't mind Z/Z making it either, since this is the biggest title they are capable of winning, and it would be pity if they end their career without it. But probably they still have a chance in the later years.
Realistically - this will be a battle of S/S with their cool programs and V/T with their big tricks.

If K&S win, why should they retire? All the more reason to push for Sochi. I too like I&M but I am afraid they have regressed this year and they may have to wait until 2018 to make the Olympic team, barring injury to one of the top 3 Russian pairs.

pumba
12-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, I know they won't retire if they win, but I'd like this to happen. They already remind me of P/T, S/Z, who have been skating on a same level for decades. I don't believe K/S will get any better by Sochi. IMO this year they peaked, with 2 lovely programs and relative consistency.

julieann
12-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, I know they won't retire if they win, but I'd like this to happen. They already remind me of P/T, S/Z, who have been skating on a same level for decades. I don't believe K/S will get any better by Sochi. IMO this year they peaked, with 2 lovely programs and relative consistency.

So should every team who has been together for only five seasons retire?

K/S have never mentioned retirement so I'm not sure where people get that from. They've only been together since spring 2006 and they have got better and better every season. With the start of this season (2 golds, 1 silver) I'm sure retirement is the furthest from their mind.

pumba
12-05-2011, 05:30 AM
As I said the once who do not develop are of no interest for me. This of course does not mean they have to retire because of my perception only.
Kwan, Shen/Zhao, Plushenko, Pang/Tong, Petrova/Tikhonov, Denkova/Staviyskiy (well, I bring them in this category as well) - they were all the same for at least 5 years. IMO K/S reached their peak both technically and artistically.
Unlike S/S who push themselves with new creative programs, and who despite skating for 8-9 years at a highest level - do not repeat themselves.
I know they won't retire, I just said this is what I don't mind to happen, and I described the reasons why.

Vash01
12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
So should every team who has been together for only five seasons retire?

K/S have never mentioned retirement so I'm not sure where people get that from. They've only been together since spring 2006 and they have got better and better every season. With the start of this season (2 golds, 1 silver) I'm sure retirement is the furthest from their mind.

I think some of this may be coming from Yuko's age (32?), but for a pairs skater that's not 'old'. She has had a lot of injuries over the years but ironically every injury gives a skater some downtime, which reduces the mileage on the body. IMO the only thing that would keep them from competing in Sochi would be an injury to either Yuko & Sasha (and I pray that they stay healthy).

The Protopopovs were 32 & 35 when they won their first OGM. Granted, they were not doing the highly demanding technical elements like triple jumps and triple throws, but it is different for a pairs skater from a singles skater.

Vash01
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
As I said the once who do not develop are of no interest for me. This of course does not mean they have to retire because of my perception only.
Kwan, Shen/Zhao, Plushenko, Pang/Tong, Petrova/Tikhonov, Denkova/Staviyskiy (well, I bring them in this category as well) - they were all the same for at least 5 years. IMO K/S reached their peak both technically and artistically. Unlike S/S who push themselves with new creative programs, and who despite skating for 8-9 years at a highest level - do not repeat themselves.
I know they won't retire, I just said this is what I don't mind to happen, and I described the reasons why.

I don't know what you were watching, but every skater/pair you mentioned developed in some aspect of the skating over those 5 years. I don't believe K&S have reached their peak either, and even if they did, I still enjoy watching them more than most pairs right now.