PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Davison busy coaching at Challenge

victorskid
12-02-2011, 12:51 AM
He knows all about the Challenge experience for himself, now he's sharing it with others. Read more here: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Figure+skater+Bryce+Davison+career+transition/5797599/story.html

4rkidz
12-02-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm sure he will be a fabulous coach.. nice he's back at his home club - I'm sure he will have a lot to offer up and coming skaters :cool:

shutterbug
12-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Wow, such a busy guy. :) Not surprised at all that his services are in high demand. He has one of the most important attributes a good coach can have – the patience of a saint. :lol: Good to hear that his retirement is more by choice than necessity. Easier to put paid to his competitive career and move on.

Jenifer
12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
It's great to hear that Bryce is enjoying coaching. That said, I do hope he gets the opportunity to skate competitively again. As much as I love Lawrence and Swiegers, I've recently started mentally replacing Rudi with Bryce when I watch them. If L&S don't make the world team this year, if were Paige, I'd be asking for Bryce's phone number.

flowerpower
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
^
Bryce speaks confidently about his mental and physical ability to return to competition, but surely the physical rehab side of things would be challenging. I seem to recall from an earlier interview that his doctors didn't want him jumping at all until the new year (2012). I'm glad to hear that he has moved into coaching with a positive outlook and is finding it satisfying.

I think that Paige and Rudi have a great fit as a team. They are both full of personality and energy. Also they're both clockwise jumpers, so they're lucky to have found each other as partners. I hope they stick together and work on technical consistency.

Jenifer
12-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Ah, I'd forgotten they were both clockwise jumpers. And I really enjoy Paige and Rudi as well, I just worry that he doesn't have a head for competition. I think Paige is the strongest Canadian female pairs skater in terms of her basic skating and positions and is about the only Canadian that I could see matching Bryce's level in the near future. If we don't get to see him compete again, then kudos to Bryce for such a smooth transition from competing to coaching.

shutterbug
12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Some terrific results at Challenge for two of the pair teams Bryce is working with – silver in pre novice and gold in novice. Here is the pre novice team’s SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18861344 Looks like he’s quite an affectionate coach. So cute. :)

Ah, I'd forgotten they were both clockwise jumpers. And I really enjoy Paige and Rudi as well, I just worry that he doesn't have a head for competition. I think Paige is the strongest Canadian female pairs skater in terms of her basic skating and positions and is about the only Canadian that I could see matching Bryce's level in the near future. If we don't get to see him compete again, then kudos to Bryce for such a smooth transition from competing to coaching.

I adore Paige. She is everything I respect in a pair girl – fearless, positive attitude, amazing work ethic and tons of personality. Not to mention being one of the nicest and down to earth people I’ve ever met. Unfortunately, mirror teams don’t seem to make it to the top, so I doubt either she or Bryce would ever consider skating together. Rudi is a total sweetheart, but has some challenges that work against him. Paige understands and is very patient with him. One more reason to love her. :) But, I do wish Bryce had tried skating with someone with a personality similar to hers before making a final decision about switching to coaching. It might not have been as difficult as he thinks.

apple123
12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
have to say Bryce looks better now than in the last years when he competes. He seems relaxed and quite handsome with the glasses.

Sylvia
12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
He knows all about the Challenge experience for himself, now he's sharing it with others. Read more here: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Figure+skater+Bryce+Davison+career+transition/5797599/story.html
Belated thanks for posting this article link!

Glad to hear he enjoys coaching and I admire his honesty:

“Because I have been so busy and have had a lot of work to do, my transition has been a little easier than most,” he said. “And because I was forced into it by injury, and because the injury was so severe, that helped me through this into coaching.”

“Mentally, I know I could come back. Physically, I’m sure I could come back,” he added. “But it’s more about finding a new partner and starting from scratch. That’s where I feel I wouldn’t have the time and I feel it would be too much. I wouldn’t want to go back and not be at international competitions, just because I’m such a competitive person.

“Besides, I’m enjoying what I’m doing right now.”

Sailormoon046
12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I adore Paige. But, I do wish Bryce had tried skating with someone with a personality similar to hers before making a final decision about switching to coaching. It might not have been as difficult as he thinks.

((Bryce)) Miss him!!