PDA

View Full Version : Could Gracie Gold have the same impact on skating as Midori Ito and Tonya Harding?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

olympic
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm cross-posting from another thread youtube videos posted by Sylvia showing Gracie practicing 3z-3t-3l:

Gracie Gold is practicing the 3Lz+3T+3Lo combination :cool: - here are 2 recent practice clips:
#1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWrN5LHG9A
#2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrnyABvzdiM

Her lutz can be described as Tonya Harding-esque. Can she have the same impact on figure skating; raising the bar technically for all ladies like Midori did [and to a lesser extent Tonya did]?

Does anyone want to wager how she could stack up against Sotnikova, Tuktymasheva, and Lipnitskaya at JWs [provided that all attend]?

Mayra
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I was just thinking it's a good thing Gracie is skating junior this season because the expectation to do well at Senior Nationals and internationally would have been out of this world and then I see this thread. :lol:

IMO Gracie jumps like a senior skater, but skates like what she is, a junior skater. There is a lot that she can improve upon in program components(SS, TR, PE and IN etc) and she's in the right division to do it in. At only 16 and having yet to even skate at Nationals as a junior, it's hard to tell what kind of impact she will have. She has ridiculous jumping technique and that should stand her in good stead as she grows and develops. That's as far as I'm willing to predict for her. ;)

I hope she has a good head on her shoulders and a good team that is pacing her because the expectations for her to do well are only going to get bigger. Good luck to her! :cheer2:

skatesindreams
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Whenever she does make the leap to Sr. in National competition, I don't want her to be a "flash in the pan", as so many before her have been.
Better that she have time for her matured style to equal her jumps.

winterone
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
IMO Gracie jumps like a senior skater, but skates like what she is, a junior skater. There is a lot that she can improve upon in program components(SS, TR, PE and IN etc) and she's in the right division to do it in. At only 16 and having yet to even skate at Nationals as a junior, it's hard to tell what kind of impact she will have. She has ridiculous jumping technique and that should stand her in good stead as she grows and develops. That's as far as I'm willing to predict for her. ;)

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Her coach is a "JUMP COACH" not a figure skating coach. IMHO if they don't balance the focus this girl is going to get injury prone...I don't want this to happen, but her coach is known for this. Way too much jumping and not enought figure skating BALANCE.

winterone
12-01-2011, 09:02 PM

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Her coach is a "JUMP COACH" not a figure skating coach. IMHO if they don't balance the focus this girl is going to get injury prone...I don't want this to happen, but her coach is known for this. Way too much jumping and not enought figure skating BALANCE.

Look at this jumping technique......VERY FAST rotation and solid reach back on the second trip. Doesn't get much vertical.

IceAlisa
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Who is her coach?
From what I've seen of her, she seems to already have encountered puberty, which, combined with her solid jumping technique bodes well. *knocks on wood*

Sylvia
12-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Who is her coach?
Alex Ouriashev in Chicago.

olympic, I wish you hadn't started such a "hype" thread. :slinkaway

olympic
12-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Who is her coach?
From what I've seen of her, she seems to already have encountered puberty, which, combined with her solid jumping technique bodes well. *knocks on wood*

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101391&mode=I

I'm showing from the above profile -

Coach:Alex Ouriashev, Toni Hickey, Oleg Epstein Choreographer:Scott Brown

Sylvia, I think she'll be OK. She's hit bad patches before, dealt with puberty, and fallen in programs only to get back up and nail everything else.

Does anyone of consequence read these boards?? I mean, skaters and coaches?

Mayra
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Who is her coach?

Alex Ouriashev although she also has Toni Hickey and Oleg Epstein listed as being part of her coaching team.

IceAlisa
12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Alex Ouriashev although she also has Toni Hickey and Oleg Epstein listed as being part of her coaching team.

Thanks! Russkies, eh? (Ouriashev and Epstein).

Sylvia
12-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Does anyone of consequence read these boards?? I mean, skaters and coaches?
Yes, many do. Of course you're free to start any kind of thread here and title them however you want.... just giving you my immediate, personal reaction.

Alex Ouriashev also coached Natalie Mecher, Megan Oster and Megan Hyatt, all of whom were fine jumpers in their day.

olympic
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Yes, many do. Of course you're free to start any kind of thread here and title them however you want.... just giving you my personal reaction

I always imagined skaters to be quite busy with their time, ie- no time for board stuff.

Well, anyway, sorry if I stepped in it :slinkaway

Thanks! Russkies, eh? (Ouriashev and Epstein).

http://www.spoke.com/info/pEtqCYc/AlexanderOuriashev

I was curious myself. I found this. It lists Ouriashev as a Ukrainian skating champ.

IceAlisa
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh OK, from the former Russian colony then.
And I don't think you stepped in it. This board was created by a fan, for the fans. Snark is our trademark (and you are being complimentary). It's unrealistic to expect censorship of one's posts to spare the feelings of skater X or their team.

RD
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself...

That said, the posted feat is definitely impressive.

Vash01
12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Midori Ito was a legend, and Tonya Harding would have been, if not for........

IMO it's too early to compare Gracie Gold with either one.