PDA

View Full Version : Caesars Tribute II: A Salute to the Ladies of the Ice, Dec. 3rd; Jan. 1st on NBC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RD
12-05-2011, 03:14 AM
^ That photo doesn't do justice to how she looked up close in person...

Hopefully you all will get to see her performance.

Skate Talker
12-05-2011, 05:03 AM
You didn't mention Joannie's skate(s). How did she do, if you can remember?

RD
12-05-2011, 05:59 AM
You're right, I forgot Joannie :duh: She was one of the first ones to skate...now that I think about it, she was second to skate after Kerrigan. Interesting thing about her was, I remember seeing her on SOI last year and thinking while she was a good skater, she needed to work on her audience connection. That wasn't a problem here. I'm drawing a blank at what she skated to, but I do know that she really put heart and soul into her performance. At least that's how it felt live- not sure how it will come across on TV, if it will be lost. Sometimes I feel that TV doesn't do such a great job of conveying PRESENCE- what I'm realizing is a key component to true audience connection- because TV is constantly following every skater around with the same angles, etc.

Something else I forgot to mention: the Ice Theatre of New York also gave a performance about 1/3 way through. Very likely they will be omitted from the TV broadcast, which would be too bad because they were great as well.

Everyone skated only once, apart from the re-takes.

ETA: Had I known I was going to be the only one posting thoughts on the show, I would have taken notes or something...truly relying on increasingly fading memory here to remember stuff. Sorry guys! Thought others would join in to fill in the gaps. (Still inviting those other folks who went to pitch in! :) )

Skate Talker
12-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks, RD.

joemauerlover
12-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks for your review and pics!!! very much appreciated!!! Did Tara Lipinski skate an individual program, or did she just skate in the group numbers?? Thanks!!!

RD
12-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks for your review and pics!!! very much appreciated!!! Did Tara Lipinski skate an individual program, or did she just skate in the group numbers?? Thanks!!!

Everybody did an individual performance (including Lipinski); Kerrigan, Manley and Hughes also did that tribute to Fleming; Ice Theatre of NY did a special performance; and all the ladies skated the opening and finale.

Sarah
12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Everybody did an individual performance (including Lipinski); Kerrigan, Manley and Hughes also did that tribute to Fleming; Ice Theatre of NY did a special performance; and all the ladies skated the opening and finale.

See, I can't remember Tara's individual performance. Did she actually do one or was she part just part of the group numbers?

I don't have much of a report (didn't take notes), but I had a great time. My boyfriend came with me and really enjoyed the show (it was his first time see skating live). His favorites were Liz Manley, Latetia Hubert, and Miki Ando. Overall though, it was a great show. I really enjoyed the show. It was great to see Nicole Bobek back and looking great. Everyone was really behind her during her skate. Joannie was wonderful and Arakawa and Yuka Sato were other favorites of mine.

I can't remember details or music (other than Joannie skated to True Colors), but it was a great show. First time I've been to a show in years. I was just a long drive. If things were easier financially, I'd probably have stayed over. Instead, it was a nice 2 hour drive home after the show.

kwanette
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Tara tweeted last month that she wasn't going to do a solo.

Yazmeen
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Per my friend, Tara only came out in the finale and did her little quick turns across the ice steps and some spins.

She was part of a group of skaters from a skating club, and they were overall rather disappointed with the quality of skating. They felt that considering several of the skaters' credentials (Sarah, Sasha), to see them do programs without jumps/harder skills was disappointing. Did hear major kudos for Joannie, Miki, and and especially Shizuka who did three triples in her program; nice to see a Ladies OGM who has turned pro and is going the Kristi route of really keeping her skills up.

kwanette
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Per my friend, Tara only came out in the finale and did her little quick turns across the ice steps and some spins.

especially Shizuka who did three triples in her program; nice to see a Ladies OGM who has turned pro and is going the Kristi route of really keeping her skills up.

Well said.

What I do find interesting is that in an interview, plus in conversation w/me, Nicole said that it took 3 months to get her jumps "bacK"..Nicole had been off of the ice for what 7 years? and had been through a rather negative experience. Yet, she can jump. Perhaps with Tara's hip, she can't and I do understand that, but I don't understand why Sarah doesn't jump...and no, I am not trashing her, just curious.

Frau Muller
12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks, RD. I can't wait to see this show...especially Nicole and Tara, who look fantastic in the still photos.

Yazmeen
12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Well said.

What I do find interesting is that in an interview, plus in conversation w/me, Nicole said that it took 3 months to get her jumps "bacK"..Nicole had been off of the ice for what 7 years? and had been through a rather negative experience. Yet, she can jump. Perhaps with Tara's hip, she can't and I do understand that, but I don't understand why Sarah doesn't jump...and no, I am not trashing her, just curious.

Agree with you here! I certainly can understand Tara not jumping, and she's also not putting herself out there doing major solos without jumps - she's participating in a nice way supporting her fellow skaters. For Sarah and Sasha to not do jumps though, is very disappointing, especially when you consider Nicole working her butt off to get back into shape and 42 year old Nancy Kerrigan jumping, even while sick as a dog!!! I just don't get what's going on with Sarah. She can't even do a single jump anymore or at least one or two doubles? It doesn't make sense.

Wyliefan
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Did Sasha not jump at all? RD's review said that only Sarah, and possibly Liz, did no jumps.

Yazmeen
12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
If I'm wrong on Sasha, please correct me and let me know what jumps she did.

Sparks
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
I can't speak to the Caesar's show, but Sasha jumped in recent shows I've seen.