PDA

View Full Version : Caesars Tribute II: A Salute to the Ladies of the Ice, Dec. 3rd; Jan. 1st on NBC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15

Artifice
01-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I got to see several performances of this show and overall I must say that I appreciate pretty much all skaters, for various reasons but all of them did something I found interesting :
Katia Gordeeva always looks stunning, involved and motivated, she is athletic and charms the audience.
Laetitia Hubert did a very very interesting program with a difficult choreography full of original moves.
Nicole Bobek still has her natural energy and joy in her skating that is a pleasure to wach, a little rough though.
Shizuka Arakawa is fantastic, the older she gets the better she looks. She is incredibly athletic and her choice of music (japanese) is really something that helps skating to open its artistic possibilities.
Miki Ando did an interesting interpretation of Swan Lake, of course she is very strong technically since she is still competing.
Joannie Rochette is as strong as it is possible to be, her technic is like steal, what a pleasure to see a professional routine with triple jumps where one doesn't wonder wether the skater will land them or not. With Joannie you only enjoy the full show and performance.
Liz Manley did a very energic show, this is even more impressive that she is 46 !
Sasha Cohen did an interesting routine on an original latin music.

Overall I found a real interest in this show, skaters did mature and original programs. That is another interest compared to competitive skates, and it's complementary. Skaters did a real effort in showing well built programs, and they all looked happy to be there.

PishPosh9
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.emcottawasouth.ca/20110818/news/Elizabeth+Manley+visits+her+park

Kudos to her for putting her life on hold and being a care-giver for both of her parents.

Glad to see her back on the ice at the ripe old age of 46.

Aww. I remember from her book how close her and her mother were. She hasn't had the easiest go of it either--for some people, like Peggy and Kristi for example, life seems to fall into place, while others struggle. (Liz, Dorothy Hamill come to mind).

kwanette
01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Aww. I remember from her book how close her and her mother were. She hasn't had the easiest go of it either--for some people, like Peggy and Kristi for example, life seems to fall into place, while others struggle. (Liz, Dorothy Hamill come to mind).

Peggy had it tough growing up. Add breast cancer to the mix..she's had to face some rough times, too.

Lacey
01-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Great show, except for Sarah Hughes, I am embarrassed for her. I wonder if one can get into law school without ever having held a job, oh right, she's writing a book interviewing other OGMs, how creative.

Really enjoyed the others, Ekaterina, Tara, Miki, Shizuka, Nancy, Sasha, Elizabeth, Joannie, Yuka, up to and including Nicole, they were all stars in their time and again at this filming. Unfortunately, for all of them, I am not sure how much show work there is anymore, but obviously the above list of skaters are still skating if only just for the love of it. Wonder where Dorothy, Kimmie and Kristi were, who else am I missing.

Coco
01-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Peggy had it tough growing up. Add breast cancer to the mix..she's had to face some rough times, too.

Yeah, part of Peggy's 'magic' is that she comes across on tv as though she was born to money and never had to strive for anything.

Yazmeen
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Agree. If I had to describe Peggy's skating in one word, it would be "serene."

skatesindreams
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM

If you've not seen this, it's very interesting:

SportsCentury Peggy Fleming Part 1 and 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A10PIe9XV1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkVb2WuLu0

query5
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
too bad they couldn't just show of picture of michelle and dorothy.

BmcC102
01-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks so much, skatesindreams! I loved the Peggy documentary.

I am one of the people who always loved Peggy's commentating... I know some didn't feel the same, but in my opinion, there's no pleasing everyone. Especially our lot! :lol:

Coco
01-07-2012, 01:57 AM
If you've not seen this, it's very interesting:

SportsCentury Peggy Fleming Part 1 and 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A10PIe9XV1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkVb2WuLu0

Oh, that brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for posting!

leafygreens
01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Tara's still not jumping. Come on. Even Liz Manley could pull out some jumps! Liz was amazing btw. The fact she could get everybody in the crowd going like that, at her age, was awesome.

kwanette
01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Tara's still not jumping. Come on. Even Liz Manley could pull out some jumps! Liz was amazing btw. The fact she could get everybody in the crowd going like that, at her age, was awesome.

Maybe Tara doesn't want to do something to reinjure her hip. Tho' an earlier poster said she saw her jump in California.

Lacey
01-08-2012, 12:13 AM
If I had a bad hip, I wouldn't jump.

skatemommy
01-08-2012, 12:31 AM
^ what is Sarah's excuse?

orbitz
01-08-2012, 01:01 AM
If I had a bad hip, I wouldn't jump.

Wouldn't a bad hip also hurt Tara on non-jumping moves? Just the traveling stars into a camel alone put a lot of pressures on her hips. Tara also doesn't just glide around on the ice; She incorporates footwork and dance moves when she performs. I think she can at least throw a 2t or 2s if she wants to.