PDA

View Full Version : Caesars Tribute II: A Salute to the Ladies of the Ice, Dec. 3rd; Jan. 1st on NBC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

kwanette
01-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Emily still has a nice double axel that she does at almost all Boston-area shows I've seen her in. And, she's a full-time student at an Ivy-leage school as well, so it's not like her academic commitments would be less rigurous that her sister's were. I always got the sense that Emily enjoyed skating a lot more than her sister -and always liked seeing her skate a lot more for that same reason. Sarah, OTOH, looks somewhere betwen lost and under-motivated in her appearances.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120103&content_id=26254154&vkey=ice_news

Scroll down:

Emily has graduated from Harvard and has a job and is planning on doing some shows.

Sandy asked..What is Sarah doing now that she has graduated from college? Is she working, going to school?

Sarah has appeared in a few Disson Shows and is in the process of writing a book. I believe she has interviewed the OGMs for it.(I know that she interviewed Dorothy last spring and also interviewed Tara.)

Sparks
01-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Congrats to Emily on her graduation!
Dorothy Hamill can skate all day without jumps and delight an audience.
Dear Sarah,
You are no Dorothy Hamill.

Sandy
01-04-2012, 01:41 AM
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120103&content_id=26254154&vkey=ice_news

Scroll down:

Emily has graduated from Harvard and has a job and is planning on doing some shows.

Sandy asked..What is Sarah doing now that she has graduated from college? Is she working, going to school?

Sarah has appeared in a few Disson Shows and is in the process of writing a book. I believe she has interviewed the OGMs for it.(I know that she interviewed Dorothy last spring and also interviewed Tara.)

Thank you!

BmcC102
01-04-2012, 04:27 AM
What cracks me up is that someone recently said on one of the forums here that Sarah Hughes never had as much criticism as the current Russian babies... complete BS, which this thread proves. Sarah is barely back for two seconds and is completely raked over the coals for everything she ever did, has done recently, or will do.

And for whoever said Sarah never had the 'it' factor that some others had, I'm sorry to say that I disagree. I don't give a rat's asssss about technique when it comes to Sarah; there was and is always something that makes me watch her.

I know I'm in the minority, but enough already.

maureenfarone
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
What cracks me up is that someone recently said on one of the forums here that Sarah Hughes never had as much criticism as the current Russian babies... complete BS, which this thread proves. Sarah is barely back for two seconds and is completely raked over the coals for everything she ever did, has done recently, or will do.

And for whoever said Sarah never had the 'it' factor that some others had, I'm sorry to say that I disagree. I don't give a rat's asssss about technique when it comes to Sarah; there was and is always something that makes me watch her.

I know I'm in the minority, but enough already.

Here is a link to a People interview from 2009 when Sarah graduated from Yale: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20283736,00.html

She has been back to skating and planning on shows from 2009 - way more than 2 seconds. Seems like she since she was known for her 3/3 combos she should, by now 2 1/2 years after this interview, have a 2A and a couple of double jumps.

kwanette
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Here is a link to a People interview from 2009 when Sarah graduated from Yale: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20283736,00.html

She has been back to skating and planning on shows from 2009 - way more than 2 seconds. Seems like she since she was known for her 3/3 combos she should, by now 2 1/2 years after this interview, have a 2A and a couple of double jumps.

Well, good for Sarah for wanting to go to law school. I wonder what schools she has applied to? (pardon the preposition)

skatesindreams
01-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm glad that Sarah is working on a book.

We have been conditioned (by many skaters) to expect a certain "elite" standard of performance, even in exhibitions/shows.
It is disappointing that Sarah isn't able to meet that, when others, much further removed from competition, do.

Most of the time, the audience has paid to attend.
No one likes to feel that a performer is unprepared or disinterested when the public cares enough to spend their time/money to see them.

just tuned in
01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
For me, most of the fun of a tribute show is the "where are they now"? aspect. I don't expect to see great jumps from anyone.

Hey, look, Ekaterina is blonde, now. At 40, she looks good, but interesting to see those deep crows feet around her eyes.

Hmmm, Hubert is here in a bodysuit with a bellybutton cutout. Wonder who told her that was a good idea? And what does she have against makeup?

Gah, Elizabeth, cover you arms! She looked WAY older than 46. And too fleshy for that dress.

Elizabeth should take notes from Nancy. Even when Nancy is heavy (three kids!) she still dresses appropriately. Glad to see that she's lost a bit of weight. I bet she's glad, too. The reminiscences and feelings she shared were so moving.

And here is Sarah, not jumping. Too much lip gloss.

I wonder why no Kimmie? I wonder why no Kristie? Why no Caryn Kadavy?

Why did Dick bring so many photos of his garden planter? And why was he allowed to show them?

...Kinda like that ....

skatemommy
01-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Kristi was interviewed about Peggy and that was shown, but no skating. Bet Kristi still has all her triples!

kwanette
01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.emcottawasouth.ca/20110818/news/Elizabeth+Manley+visits+her+park

Kudos to her for putting her life on hold and being a care-giver for both of her parents.

Glad to see her back on the ice at the ripe old age of 46.

taf2002
01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I thought Sarah is still dating Andrew Giuliani. She's certainly doing very well in her personal life. :P

Doing well? Are you living in the 1950's? That's her great accomplishment?

Andora
01-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Kristi was interviewed about Peggy and that was shown, but no skating. Bet Kristi still has all her triples!

I wonder if maybe she doesn't? Scott Hamilton once said Kristi aimed to keep her skating at least at the level she retired that. I think that's commendable but must have been REALLY tough. Kristi's skating didn't really move me, but she seemed to be worth ticket fare considering how well she kept her skills up.

Sarah Hughes was visibly out of shape on SOI a few years ago, and her skating hasn't seemed to have recovered, even if the rest of her body did. Was she skating like this at the Beatles show she headlined? :shuffle: Then there's Nicole Bobek with her sordid recent history. She was a bit rusty, but still miles better than Sarah. You could argue Nicole's been more dedicated to skating since her arrest as a means of keeping her busy, or what have you, but I know who I'd rather pay to see.

Frau Muller
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi. I'm just catching up with this topic and haven't read the full thread.

Suffice it to say two things - one general and one specific:

A) I watched this show & thoroughly enjoyed the tribute to Peggy Fleming.

B) The A-#1 skating highlight for me: Shizuka Arakawa. WOW! Professional life becomes her. She is absolutely lean, gorgeous and better than ever. If she were skating in the U.S. Stars on Ice show, I would travel as far as necessary to see her perform in person, she is that impressive.

BackOnTheIce
01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
My God everyone's crystal balls are working over time here. Kristi rarely skates and if she does it's to have fun with her daughters.

[QUOTE=Andora;3422684]I wonder if maybe she doesn't? Scott Hamilton once said Kristi aimed to keep her skating at least at the level she retired that. I think that's commendable but must have been REALLY tough. Kristi's skating didn't really move me, but she seemed to be worth ticket fare considering how well she kept her skills up.

mtnskater
01-05-2012, 04:45 AM
I was so impressed with the athleticism still in Nancy Kerrigan's skating at age 42...double axel...you go girl!

Really enjoyed Nicole Bobek.

Nancy and Nicole were two of my top favorites of the 90's and I love to see them back and going strong.

Tara and Sarah have lovely grace in their skating that they didn't have as much when younger but I was amazed that much older skaters had more content.

Arakawa does look scary skinny :eek: OTOH Sasha is the heaviest I've seen her in ages and her face has gotten really round....that being said I bet in person she is still tiny. I loved both Sasha and Shizuka's programs. Mature, lovely skates!

Love Peggy and Dick :rollin: