PDA

View Full Version : Caesars Tribute II: A Salute to the Ladies of the Ice, Dec. 3rd; Jan. 1st on NBC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Jubak
01-03-2012, 03:15 AM
I want to defend myself about my comment about Nicole. I said it was shallow at the onset. I am certainly glad that she has pulled herself together, she's skating well & still looking beautiful. I just wish that the Meth episode in her life never happened as she has scars that mar what were pretty perfect looks. That said, she has pulled herself up & the skating community didn't leave her - she has been given a second chance.

Chris_E
01-03-2012, 03:32 AM
I want to defend myself about my comment about Nicole. I said it was shallow at the onset. I am certainly glad that she has pulled herself together, she's skating well & still looking beautiful. I just wish that the Meth episode in her life never happened as she has scars that mar what were pretty perfect looks. That said, she has pulled herself up & the skating community didn't leave her - she has been given a second chance.

I don't really think you needed to defend yourself. You were merely stating an observation that I too noticed. I was a huge fan of hers growing up as a teen and it really made me happy to see how happy she seemed during her performance. Hopefully she continues on this path and I'd love to see her get the double axel back--would be great to see it again--she always had such a great one.

Debbie S
01-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Do you want frys with that;)It's fries. ;)

I can understand Sarah letting her jumps go by the wayside while she was a full-time students at a top university. But I do have a problem with her signing on to shows and accepting big money to skate for an audience, which paid quite a bit in ticket fees to see her as a headliner, and then deliver a performance so far below the standard that got her on people's radar screens and made them want to shell out money to see her skate. If she doesn't want to skate professionally and only wants to do the occasional celebrity appearance (like for Figure Skating in Harlem or a skating clinic), then fine, I can understand her not training every day (b/c presumably, she would be doing something else).

But if she's going to tour and/or sign on to high-budget shows like Disson's, then she should train for them. I don't expect her to do 3-3's (and I'm sure most in the audience don't either), or even triples, but she should be able to knock out a few doubles, even a 2 axel. And skate with speed and polish. To skate like she's been skating (on the Disson shows and back when she was on SOI) is embarrassing for her and disappointing to the people who paid to see her. As with any other job, skating is work and if you want to earn money doing it, you should aim to meet or exceed expectations.

Coco
01-03-2012, 04:00 AM
She always had a gorgeous double axel, so I'm surprised that jump is missing from her repertoire. Hope she's working on getting it back!

julianaqtpi
01-03-2012, 04:13 AM
I just have to jump in and say that Yuka Sato's program was gorgeous. She did a double loop, a double axel, a camel spin, and a layback spin, in a 3 1/2 minute long program. I almost forgot about the jumps at all, the rest of her skating was so beautiful. She proves that skating doesn't have to be all about the jumps and spins to be impressive, her program stayed in my memory much more than a freeskate with 6 jump elements and 3 spin elements would.

Debbie S
01-03-2012, 04:48 AM
She proves that skating doesn't have to be all about the jumps and spins to be impressive, her program stayed in my memory much more than a freeskate with 6 jump elements and 3 spin elements would.I agree skating is not just about the jumps and spins. Overall, Sarah's skating is not at the level you would expect from a pro skater only 8 years removed from her competitive days (and only 26 years old). Aside from the lack of jumps, her skating was slow and labored. I agree with LadyNit that her choreo wasn't the least bit interesting. Her dress didn't do her any favors, either.

Yazmeen
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I agree skating is not just about the jumps and spins. Overall, Sarah's skating is not at the level you would expect from a pro skater only 8 years removed from her competitive days (and only 26 years old). Aside from the lack of jumps, her skating was slow and labored. I agree with LadyNit that her choreo wasn't the least bit interesting. Her dress didn't do her any favors, either.

I don't know what was more cringeworthy. The Pre-Preliminary level of the performance (with no jumps) or the horrendous wedgie she had with that dress. :eek:

rhumba
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I think she felt she's OGM and audience should take whatever she gave to them. She does not have to work hard to gain any respect and audience are stupid. What she is doing now is trying to keep her presence on the media, flooded media with her news and photos. Don't you see that now and then her photos,"courtesy of Sarah Huhes", showed up at icenetwork website for no reason? I think one day, the show organizer will realize that people do not want to be slapped on their faces anymore and they are not that stupid as she thought.

euterpe
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm just surprised Emily Hughes wasn't in the show, too.

jcopper
01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
This thread reminds me of old Usenet posts:

Sarah Hughes is washed up and overrated [Was: Caesars Tribute II: A Salute to the Ladies of the Ice, Dec. 3rd; Jan. 1st on NBC]

julianaqtpi
01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm just surprised Emily Hughes wasn't in the show, too.

I wish it would have been Emily instead of Sarah. Sarah's OGM is the reason I started skating, why I'm here today, but now I hate her. At least Emily's voice isn't whiny like Sarah's seems to be now, and at least Emily will throw out a few doubles.

I totally agree about the whole jumping thing. Sarah won her OGM 10 years ago, and she's all of 26 years old, and these skaters who stopped competing before she was even born are still doing double jumps! Seriously Sarah, get your act together.

I would understand her not doing jumps if say, she was Mirai and had gone through a huge growth spurt (up and out) and really filled out, or if she had gained a ton of weight, but she didn't, so unless she has some medical difficulties that she hasn't made public (arthritis in her knees/back so that it's really painful to jump?), she has no excuse for not doing jumps.

longingfornia
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
God I quess everbodys still pissed MK,Sasha and Irina blew 02 Og

euterpe
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I totally agree about the whole jumping thing. Sarah won her OGM 10 years ago, and she's all of 26 years old, and these skaters who stopped competing before she was even born are still doing double jumps! Seriously Sarah, get your act together.

I would understand her not doing jumps if say, she was Mirai and had gone through a huge growth spurt (up and out) and really filled out, or if she had gained a ton of weight, but she didn't, so unless she has some medical difficulties that she hasn't made public (arthritis in her knees/back so that it's really painful to jump?), she has no excuse for not doing jumps.

Sarah did gain a lot of weight when she was in college and she was quite zoftig when she was in SOI (2004-2005), but at least she did 1A and 2S while on the tour. She got quite a bit of criticism at the time because at 20 she sure didn't skate like an Olympic champion. Since graduating from Yale in 2009, she has lost all the extra weight but now she's doing no jumps at all. I don't understand why she returned to skating. 'Tis a puzzlement.

Sandy
01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
What is Sarah doing now that she has graduated from college? Is she working, going to school?

ioana
01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
At least Emily's voice isn't whiny like Sarah's seems to be now, and at least Emily will throw out a few doubles.

Emily still has a nice double axel that she does at almost all Boston-area shows I've seen her in. And, she's a full-time student at an Ivy-leage school as well, so it's not like her academic commitments would be less rigurous that her sister's were. I always got the sense that Emily enjoyed skating a lot more than her sister -and always liked seeing her skate a lot more for that same reason. Sarah, OTOH, looks somewhere betwen lost and under-motivated in her appearances.