PDA

View Full Version : Caesars Tribute II: A Salute to the Ladies of the Ice, Dec. 3rd; Jan. 1st on NBC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

kwanette
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
We saw the live show, and were pleased with how it was presented on TV (with the exception of too many of the same, repetitive ads, as usual). I don't recall anyone getting "chacked" (last year 7 performances were "chacked," but thankfully all of those perforamcnes eventually were put up on the Stargames site). I don't remember if Tara did a full program (someone help me out here if you attended the live show). I enjoyed seeing the young skaters in the beginning, was glad that the NYC Ice Theatre got to do their program, and I loved the whole tribute to Peggy, complete with hilarious, but eloquent "Uncle" Dickie. I also enjoyed hearing the skaters' perspectives on Peggy (including the thoughts of skaters who were not in this show - Brian, Todd, Mike, Kristi).

Tara didn't do a solo.

casken
01-02-2012, 04:00 PM
crap I missed it :( Out of curiosity, what jumps did sasha, Elizabeth and Hubert do?!?

Yeah I'm curious to know what Laetitia did too.

First time I've had a chance to see her skate in almost a decade and I miss it. :(

Sandy
01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Well said.

What I do find interesting is that in an interview, plus in conversation w/me, Nicole said that it took 3 months to get her jumps "bacK"..Nicole had been off of the ice for what 7 years? and had been through a rather negative experience. Yet, she can jump. Perhaps with Tara's hip, she can't and I do understand that, but I don't understand why Sarah doesn't jump...and no, I am not trashing her, just curious.

Nicole looked great. Is Sarah injured or does she just not do jumps anymore. She really is not that old compared to other skaters. I heard Tara talking on one of the shows she was doing comentating and she mentioned something about her hip

euterpe
01-02-2012, 07:36 PM
The ages:

83 Dick Button
63 Peggy Fleming
46 Liz Manley
42 Nancy Kerrigan
40 Katya Gordeeva
38 Yuka Sato
37 Laetitia Hubert
34 Nicole Bobek
30 Shizuka Arakawa
29 Tara Lipinski
27 Sasha Cohen
26 Sarah Hughes
25 Joannie Rochette
24 Miki Ando

ks777
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
The ages:

83 Dick Button
63 Peggy Fleming
46 Liz Manley
42 Nancy Kerrigan
40 Katya Gordeeva
38 Yuka Sato
37 Laetitia Hubert
34 Nicole Bobek
30 Shizuka Arakawa
29 Tara Lipinski
27 Sasha Cohen
26 Sarah Hughes
25 Joannie Rochette

You forgot Miki Ando..

Jot the Dot Dot
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
You forgot Miki Ando..

....At the grand old age of 24 :lol:

aliceanne
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
crap I missed it :( Out of curiosity, what jumps did sasha, Elizabeth and Hubert do?!?

Sasha did a split jump, Elizabeth did an axel and a double toe, Laetitia didn't jump (but did wear a leather bondage outfit). Elizabeth's jumps must have been added in the retakes, because RD was at the live show and said she didn't jump.

julianaqtpi
01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I guess Sarah didn't get the memo on how to hold her scarf. duh.

Haha I know, right? It was driving me crazy the whole time! And that program just annoyed me to no end. That is one of the few songs that should never be skated to!

Jubak
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
My totally shallow observations: Tara has become very pretty & mature looking. Wish she would have done a full program. Was happy to see a happy Nicole Bobek. She looks lovely but in close-ups it is sad to see the pock marks & bad skin from her Meth use. But I'm glad she's fighting back & skating again. Sasha looks skater heavy in the face & body. Her skating was fine as was her flexibility. She's going to Columbia? I guess she's back in NYC. Couldn't figure out what Latitia Hubert was doing there but as others said, she provided the void! Joannie, Shizuka & Miki are the more recent champions & looked great.

Lastly, I see Sarah "can't get no respect" again. I thought that for someone who isn't currently skating in shows, she looks in better shape that in the past & also was graceful & lovely. There is nothing wrong w/her voice & she had insightful things to say, esp. about her mom, breast cancer and what is meaningful in life. C'mon folks, give it a rest! That said, I really enjoyed the show. Also, glad to see they didn't chack Ice Theatre!

Garden Kitty
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Lastly, I see Sarah "can't get no respect" again. I thought that for someone who isn't currently skating in shows, she looks in better shape that in the past & also was graceful & lovely.

Sarah is definitely in better shape than during her year with SOI and looks great, which is why it's even more surprising that she hasn't gotten her jumps back. She's appearing in 3 of the 8 Disson specials this year, including co-headlining the Rain show with Brian Boitano.

Given that SOI has a 10 stop tour this year, the Disson shows pretty much are "show skating" in the US.

kwanette
01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
My totally shallow observations: Tara has become very pretty & mature looking. Wish she would have done a full program. Was happy to see a happy Nicole Bobek. She looks lovely but in close-ups it is sad to see the pock marks & bad skin from her Meth use. But I'm glad she's fighting back & skating again. Sasha looks skater heavy in the face & body. Her skating was fine as was her flexibility. She's going to Columbia? I guess she's back in NYC. Couldn't figure out what Latitia Hubert was doing there but as others said, she provided the void! Joannie, Shizuka & Miki are the more recent champions & looked great.

Lastly, I see Sarah "can't get no respect" again. I thought that for someone who isn't currently skating in shows, she looks in better shape that in the past & also was graceful & lovely. There is nothing wrong w/her voice & she had insightful things to say, esp. about her mom, breast cancer and what is meaningful in life. C'mon folks, give it a rest! That said, I really enjoyed the show. Also, glad to see they didn't chack Ice Theatre!

Why is it ok for you to point out Nicole's pock marks, but it's not okay for someone to point out that Sarah has a terrible speaking voice, which she does.? And, she did have meaningful things to say, I agree, and she is in shows as Garden Kitty pointed out. What many folks have been asking is why a 26 yr old ,apparently skating several times a week and working out, isn't jumping, when a 40 + Nancy and an-almost 40 Yuka are, plus a "pock-marked" off-the-ice-for-8 years Nicole?

just tuned in
01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Why is it ok for you to point out Nicole's pock marks, but it's not okay for someone to point out that Sarah has a terrible speaking voice, which she does.? And, she did have meaningful things to say, I agree, and she is in shows as Garden Kitty pointed out. What many folks have been asking is why a 26 yr old ,apparently skating several times a week and working out, isn't jumping, when a 40 + Nancy and an-almost 40 Yuka are, plus a "pock-marked" off-the-ice-for-8 years Nicole?

Maybe Sarah isn't jumping in these shows because she wants to cultivate a false sense of security in her competitors (did I read correctly that she wil be competeing in Adult Nat'ls?).

Regarding the way she held the scarf, I thought I saw a moment early in the performance where she had a little trouble with the scarf, and so maybe she figured "better safe than sorry" and changed her grip to the more secure one. She went to Yale -- she's smart!!

AJ Skatefan
01-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Good points, kwanette. :respec:

euterpe
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I agree that Sarah's 'Queens New Yawk' voice is a bit nasal and whiny. OTOH, Tara Lipinski's speaking voice is much improved due to her many years of acting training.

rhumba
01-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Maybe Sarah isn't jumping in these shows because she wants to cultivate a false sense of security in her competitors (did I read correctly that she wil be competeing in Adult Nat'ls?).

Regarding the way she held the scarf, I thought I saw a moment early in the performance where she had a little trouble with the scarf, and so maybe she figured "better safe than sorry" and changed her grip to the more secure one. She went to Yale -- she's smart!!

Didn't she graduate from Great neck high school? Did she hire that kid take SAT for her :rofl::rofl:? If she could not skate at 26 yo, she should stick with her professional...which is....?? What did she major at Yale?