PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Guard at Sectionals

winterone
11-29-2011, 06:05 PM
I just found some time to look at the sectionals results. When I looked at Senior Ladies and Senior Men I could not help but think this looks like a changing of the guard so to speak.

Familiar Faces not at Nationals this year:

Becky Bereswell
Alexe Gilles
Amanda Dobbs
Jessica Young

Sean Rabbitt
Andrew Gonzales
Austin Kanallakan
Dennis Phan

Sylvia
11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
There's a U.S. Sectionals discussion thread in Kiss and Cry, FYI. (Canadians have Sectionals too, you know. ;))

I wouldn't cite Jessica Young as a "familiar face" (she's yet to qualify for Nationals Novice-Senior) though I expected her to make Midwestern Sectionals because she had the highest (known) Senior Ladies club competition score in the Upper Great Lakes region this season (117.04 at DuPage Open).

Coco
11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
No Dennis Phan?!?! Nooooooooo

ryanbfan
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Sad about Sean Rabbitt and Drew Gonzales :(

haribobo
11-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Hopefully 1 or 2 of this year's senior men qualifiers from Pacs (Razzano, Messing, Cassar, Dyer) get on the GP next season and manage to obtain a bye so that some of the guys that missed out this year have better chances next year. It might still be a tough field if some of the junior men (Wang, Chen, Yostanto, Warren) move up to senior. We'll see which of these guys if any can make the JGPF though.

euterpe
11-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Hopefully 1 or 2 of this year's senior men qualifiers from Pacs (Razzano, Messing, Cassar, Dyer) get on the GP next season and manage to obtain a bye so that some of the guys that missed out this year have better chances next year. It might still be a tough field if some of the junior men (Wang, Chen, Yostanto, Warren) move up to senior. We'll see which of these guys if any can make the JGPF though.

It would be pretty hard for those men (Razzano, Messing, Cassar, Dyer) to get invitations to the GP. They'd have to go to an ISU Championship event to get on the Seasons Best list, and that means top two at 2012 Nationals for Worlds, or at least 4th or 5th to have a shot at 4CC (they're too old for JW). Right now, they aren't in the top 24 on ISU World Standings: Messing 27, Razzano 64, Cassar 127, Dyer no rating. USFS doesn't usually send senior men to spring Senior Bs, so their ISU World ratings will almost certainly drop in relation to other skaters who do go to Worlds/Euros/4CC/JW.

Sorry, but unless they can impress the PTB at USFS, their only GP hope is a host invitation to SA.

victoriaheidi
11-30-2011, 03:47 AM

What's Dyer's background in int'l skating? I've only heard about him recently...

Debbie S
11-30-2011, 04:42 AM
Sorry, but unless they can impress the PTB at USFS, their only GP hope is a host invitation to SA.But they could possibly get a fall Senior B assignment, which could put them on the GP alternates list, right?

What's Dyer's background in int'l skating? I've only heard about him recently...Scott has never competed at an int'l. He has been in the ISP the past 2 seasons but has never received an assignment. Last fall, he was too old for the JGP but if eligible, would likely have gotten something as the Junior pewter medalist (2010). I was hoping he'd get a Senior B this fall, but hopefully, he'll finish high enough at Nats to get one next year.

His jumps are not as strong as some others (no 3axel or quad yet) but his basic skating skills and movement across the ice are amazing. He took ice dance lessons as part of his training for many years and it shows. Very strong footwork and spins.

ETA: Scott has, in fact, done an int'l at Novice level. Hopefully, he'll get to compete internationally at the Senior level. From the Men's thread:

Dyer has competed in one spring developmental international -- 2006 Triglav Trophy in Slovenia where he won the Novice men's gold medal.

euterpe
11-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Yes, if one of them won a Senior B, he would be on the alternate list----but on the bottom of it, which means he still would be unlikely to get a GP assignment unless there was an unusually high number of withdrawals early enough to assign a substitute.

This season, Keegan Messing won Coup de Nice and Stephen Carriere won Ice Challenge, but neither one got a GP assignment.

sk8ers
11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I had actually looked at the Jr Ladies results--esp. from Mids. Wonder which of these ladies are planning a move up to SR next yr. That could be an interesting "changing of the guards" as well.

reese
11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I watched the Sectionals videos and I was really surprised that Becky Bereswill finished 5th behind Morgan Bell. It seemed that Becky skated much better with more difficulty. I looked at the protocols though and she got tons of UR calls.

Jr Ladies at Mids was impressive. I loved Mariah Bell. Her LP is too cute!

victoriaheidi
11-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Scott has never competed at an int'l. He has been in the ISP the past 2 seasons but has never received an assignment. Last fall, he was too old for the JGP but if eligible, would likely have gotten something as the Junior pewter medalist (2010). I was hoping he'd get a Senior B this fall, but hopefully, he'll finish high enough at Nats to get one next year.

His jumps are not as strong as some others (no 3axel or quad yet) but his basic skating skills and movement across the ice are amazing. He took ice dance lessons as part of his training for many years and it shows. Very strong footwork and spins.

ETA: Scott has, in fact, done an int'l at Novice level. Hopefully, he'll get to compete internationally at the Senior level. From the Men's thread:

We go to the same school, but I've never met him (actually, apparently, one of my sisters took him as her invite date, but I didn't know he was Scott Dyer-just "Victoria, this is Scott"), and the person who told me that he skates doesn't really know much about skating and didn't know whether or not he still competed/all of that. So I was trying to come up with an answer for her, but I know very little about his history as a skater. So, with that, thank you very much!