PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko gonna skate to the variation of Marton

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

senorita
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I dont remember Plushenko commenting when he was at Worlds 2011 that Patrick is an average skater..if you look at his interviews. And Takahashi and Kozuk also. In Cor now he pointed Hanyu as a favorite for Sochi. And the past summer he worked with Lambiel on details and steps. And he spoke about Tomas with great words in Prague in April. So he obviously pays attention. I believe he is realistic that he cant beat Chan, I hope he is anyway. Or Kozu and Dai.
And to be honest before LA worlds how many people thought Lysacek was the man to beat at Vancouver?The ring bell was at GPF the olympic season I think.

Cheylana
12-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I didn't say Plushenko said Patrick was an average skater; I just think he's a sore loser and would find reasons to poke holes at whoever won, Lysacek or otherwise.

VarBar
12-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I didn't say Plushenko said Patrick was an average skater; I just think he's a sore loser and would find reasons to poke holes at whoever won, Lysacek or otherwise.

I am sort of tempted to agree with you because I remember the numerous times Plushenko - and his coach - bashed Yagudin when they were rivals. Even after the 2002 Olympics, Plushenko started complaining he had been the victim of voo doo and that's why he lost. Or to me that was just another form of acting like a sore loser. Sorry.

Oreo
12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Plushenko is indeed a great athlete, but I was in the audience at Vancouver, and when I saw him tossing aside the flowers he received on the podium that said it all for me. I'm not interested in him anymore and just wish he would go away.

Cachoo
12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Not crazy about his skating but liked him until Vancouver and agree with Oreo on what he should do now.

nubka
12-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Not crazy about his skating but liked him until Vancouver and agree with Oreo on what he should do now.

Well, since it's unanimous, I'd guess he'd better do as you all say... :lynch:

caseyedwards
12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
So he tossed the flowers- big deal! He kept the medal!

PrincessLeppard
12-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I am sort of tempted to agree with you because I remember the numerous times Plushenko - and his coach - bashed Yagudin when they were rivals. Even after the 2002 Olympics, Plushenko started complaining he had been the victim of voo doo and that's why he lost. Or to me that was just another form of acting like a sore loser. Sorry.

Um, I believe it was Yagudin's "psychologist" who said he put a curse on the ice and that's why Plush fell. I'm positive Plush never blamed voodoo. :rofl:

Holley Calmes
12-02-2011, 11:28 PM
So he tossed the flowers- big deal! He kept the medal!

Yes but tossing the flowers was not the behavior of a classy international competitor. Yes, others have behaved badly at times too, but somehow you just expect more out of someone who has been so prominent. At least I do. He's one of the greatest male skaters ever, yes. Beyond that, I'm not inclined to sing his praises, but I will give him his due as a skater.

Oreo
12-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes but tossing the flowers was not the behavior of a classy international competitor. Yes, others have behaved badly at times too, but somehow you just expect more out of someone who has been so prominent. At least I do. He's one of the greatest male skaters ever, yes. Beyond that, I'm not inclined to sing his praises, but I will give him his due as a skater.

I agree with you Holley. When athletes win Olympic medals, they're now in the public eye and are a role model--like it or not--to kids who aspire to what they have achieved. If they want to throw a hissy fit, they should go do it behind closed doors.

Plushenko's flower tossing may not have been a big deal to some, but it was hugely symbolic, and he's a seasoned enough competitor not to know how he was behaving--like a big spoiled baby. Why would I want to spend any more of my time watching anything he has to say on the ice?

caseyedwards
12-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't want to get into this whole small petty thing about flowers. Like he threw them down and stomped all over them or something. If you saw a moment that was not the most public moment of accepting the medal fine for you. He will always be one of the more sportsmanlike people for accepting that silve.r

Sparks
12-03-2011, 12:57 AM
^^^Says you.

Sally1214
12-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Plushenko has to be the most hated skater on this board. A lot of his criticism and barbs at him are totally undeserved. I loved his skating, and he was a great performer.

Agree. And, also agree with your post saying every Plushenko thread on this board turns into a bash thread. Gets very boring.

So, I'm sure I can find something more productive to do with my time. Over and out of this thread.

icenut84
12-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Yagudin and Plushenko weren't just rivals on the ice, it was personal. It's not really surprising that they said things about each other. To be fair, Plushenko has always been complimentary about quite a few of his rivals, aside from people like Lysacek after the Olympics because he has strong views on the whole quad thing.

Agree. And, also agree with your post saying every Plushenko thread on this board turns into a bash thread. Gets very boring.

ITA. It's a shame. I was hoping to just read news about whether he was definitely planning to compete this season or not. While I have other favourites I'm rooting for now, there's no denying that Plushenko has been one of the most prominent skaters of the last 15 years and no matter how deep a field is, his inclusion will always add extra interest to me. And his achievements and longevity are just incredible.

Vagabond
12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
To be fair, Plushenko has always been complimentary about quite a few of his rivals, aside from people like Lysacek after the Olympics because he has strong views on the whole quad thing.

It's easy to be complimentary about those skaters who have finished below you. The challenge is to do the same about those who have defeated you -- or might do so in the future.

People who participate in organized sports are taught from an early age not to badmouth or disrespect their rivals. Those who fail to learn this lesson usually eventually find out for themselves what it's like to be badmouthed and disrespected. C'est la vie. :shuffle: