PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko gonna skate to the variation of Marton

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Susan M
12-02-2011, 03:03 AM
I still expect people to believe that a 5 (or multiple) -fall Chan will beat anyone & everyone --- because he's Chan!
Is there a point where the ISU and its judges become concerned that so many people think his marks are not fair? I understand that Chan is a smooth and solid skater, but I am among those who just do not see magic there. He isn't a born performer like Yags or even Plushy, and he isn't inherently musical like Kulik or Takahashi or Lambiel. I find myself forced to conclude his marks are politics at work. If too many folks think that, then the ISU has another embarrassment waiting to happen. I guess they just pray his top rival mess up.

crystalice
12-02-2011, 04:33 AM
the papillomavirus
Cool! How do you people know such a professional word if you don't have this medical problem? :confused: I envy you. I had to google.

Japanfan
12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
To the poster who suggested he skate to Carmen - he did already. It was is LP in 2002 and at the SLC Olympics. And a great program!!

ciocio
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
No!!!! I wanted to read about Plushy and his programs and what do I see? people discussing about Chan and his x falls.:scream: FUUU!!!!

Cīmon, Evan come back, I wanna see "the battle of Roxannes".:watch::fan: Or if itīs not possible they shoud invite them to skate in a show together...;)

Anyway I hope Plushy will have a nice program and heīll not "sale his body to the night" as usual. ;):P

Frau Muller
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Let's not forget: Plush is the only person on earth to have ever won an Olympic PLATINUM medal. ROTFL!

briancoogaert
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
I can't wait to see it, it's so amazing he's still trying to skate. I definitely like watching the older skaters out there showing everyone they can still compete with the teenagers. Abbot and Alissa are doing just great why not Plush?
LOL, I don't think it's a fair comparison : Alissa and Jeremy were not Worlds Bronze medalist 1998.

ciocio
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I've never understood the animosity some skating fans have for Plushy. I get that he's not everyone's cup of tea stylistically speaking but then the same was true for Elvis Stojko. However, it's not his fault that he was a stronger competitor than the skaters these fans prefer. It's a sport and the ability to land your toughest jumps when you need them is crucial. Plushy could do it while Sandhu, etc. couldn't. Was he supposed to purposely fall just to make the other skaters and their fans feel better?

How do you know that they are (only) skating fans???:D

Ozzisk8tr
12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Cool! How do you people know such a professional word if you don't have this medical problem? :confused: I envy you. I had to google.

Papilloma was a name Kim was considering calling her baby in the Australian version of Kath and Kim. It was different, unique... :yikes: Believe me, I didn't know it before then.

professordeb
12-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Is there a point where the ISU and its judges become concerned that so many people think his marks are not fair? I understand that Chan is a smooth and solid skater, but I am among those who just do not see magic there. He isn't a born performer like Yags or even Plushy, and he isn't inherently musical like Kulik or Takahashi or Lambiel. I find myself forced to conclude his marks are politics at work. If too many folks think that, then the ISU has another embarrassment waiting to happen. I guess they just pray his top rival mess up.

The concern about Chan's marks seem to be bothering only some - and I think they are the same ones who continue to flog it over and over and over in various threads here at FSU. I'm willing to bet these people fall in one or more of these categories
a) have never watched him live
b) haven't bothered to look over the protocols
c) haven't bothered to learn COP and wish we were still using 6.0 so we could really hide the politics at work

Anyway, back to Plushy!

I wish him luck over the next few seasons. Putting himself out there - with the physical problems he has experienced over the past few years - at the scrutiny of others with an eye to skating on home soil in one of the biggest competitions. Well good on him if he can. However, I do pity his body cause that's a lot to ask of it when doing quads as a single jump or in combination. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see him bow out just before the comp because his mind his willing but the body isn't.

lauravvv
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Plushenko was great and I liked him up to the 2006 circa. Then men's skating evolved, and I got spoiled with musical, balanced, and complex programs from Takahashi, Buttle, Kozuka, and Chan. So when he returned as a shadow of his old self with programs emptier than Godfather (and skated them so slowly) I totally :scream:.I liked him in 2006, and thought his Olympics LP was impressive - because I hadn't seen that much great skating until then (really started watching figure skating in 2005). But then I too got spoiled by more interesting skaters and programs - just like you. That said, I liked Plushenko's LP from 2010 a bit better than the one from 2006, despite him being slower in it - I thought that there was a bit more of choreography in it (even with the posing). Plus, I still see more charisma and personality in Plushenko's skating than in some of today's young skaters (including Chan :slinkaway).

I fully expect him to come back well trained (on jumps), but until I see it, I won't believe he will rise half an inch above his arms windmilling and posing that was borderline embarrassing for a great champion like himself :yikes:. I also wish to see him challenging himself by putting steps and MITF before those big jumps but am so totally not holding my breath.As for the latter, I too hope to see more complexity in Plushenko's programs. But, as for the former - I don't believe it will change. Because, like it or not, it's his style that has been established over the years. I am not saying that I am ecstatic about it.

BTW, all over the board people are spreading rumors that Patrick Chan has 5 fall advantage over other competitors and that's just wildly exaggerated :blah:. Sure, he fell 4 times last year at Skate Canada but that was only one competition. Look at Takahashi's score from NHK, Chan's own score in Paris, and Hanyu/Fernandez's scores in Russia with mistakes, and you'll clearly see that if Chan messes up he will be off the World podium, let alone falling 5-6 times :blah:.Agree completely.

Cyn
12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Plushenko skating to Edvin Marton is news? :shuffle: Quelle surprise :yawn:.

Now, if he skated to Rammstein, *that* would be news (and would quite possibly turn me into a fan albeit avery minor one :lol:.

What's Plushy without the Quad?!?!?

Evan Lysacek :EVILLE:

:saint:

Glacier cat
12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Plushenko has to be the most hated skater on this board. A lot of his criticism and barbs at him are totally undeserved. I loved his skating, and he was a great performer.

I think FSU people who hate Plushy look like Japanese Yu-Na haters :lol:

Cheylana
12-02-2011, 04:59 PM
BTW, all over the board people are one person is spreading rumors that Patrick Chan has 5 fall advantage over other competitors
There, I fixed it for you. :D

lauravvv
12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Look what your idol is saying here:

I think Lysacek - is good, but an average athlete. He's not unique...Unique athletes - it's Chan, Yagudin, Urmanov, Petrenko, Browning, Boitano. But Lysacek ... I think he won because of the judges.

http://www.aif.ru/culture/article/46790Thanks for the link to this interview, VarBar. I know that Plushenko has said harsher things before, but I don't think that this is arrogant. I think, many people would agree that it's the truth - both that Lysacek is not an unique skater, and that he won because he was favoured by judges for reasons that I wont repeat here. And I am not talking about Plushenko himself here (as some of his component marks were also questinable). Also, nice that he is at least respectful towards his former rivals, as well as his current possible rival.

Cheylana
12-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the link to this interview, VarBar. I know that Plushenko has said harsher things before, but I don't think that this is arrogant. I think, many people would agree that it's the truth - both that Lysacek is not an unique skater, and that he won because he was favoured by judges for reasons that I wont repeat here.
Sure, but out of Plushy's mouth it just sounds like sour grapes. I can't help but feel that if Patrick Chan (or any other North American skater) had won gold Plush would be whining that Chan is an average skater.

A LOT of people thought Kerrigan was robbed of gold in 1994, but AFAIK she didn't go around saying Baiul was an average skater and only won because of the judges.