PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko gonna skate to the variation of Marton

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Ozzisk8tr
12-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Thank you (to everyone who answered). I think I've been just subconsciously avoiding any thread with him in it. Not only is he a poor sport, his outdated hip grinding routines make me wince to see them. I was hoping he would just go away.

I know right? He really is like the papillomavirus of the skating world.

Vash01
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Plushenko has to be the most hated skater on this board. A lot of his criticism and barbs at him are totally undeserved. I loved his skating, and he was a great performer.

Andrey aka Pushkin
12-01-2011, 04:43 PM
It would be the battle of Roxannes.:)
Yes, the battle for the 15th place.

briancoogaert
12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Let me guess on the costume...hmmmm....black with a few red sequins near the neck?!
Gloves or no gloves ? :P

Sparks
12-01-2011, 08:16 PM
gloves!!!

Moka-Ananas
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Plush...I love you and all...but...please...NOOOOO!!!

ItalianFan
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Plushenko has to be the most hated skater on this board. A lot of his criticism and barbs at him are totally undeserved. I loved his skating, and he was a great performer.

Totally agree and I even like Marton, so there!
I would pay millions to see Chan fall on his ass 5 or 6 times as usual and Plushy soar by him with a gigantic quad combo even if the judges then gave Patty a superior score thanks to his swooping and swirling. Chan is still a little boy with zero charisma. (I guess I'd better disable my reputation quick like Casey....):scream:

wingnut
12-01-2011, 11:26 PM

Ya, and it's too bad really. I'm no huge fan of his but I think there's a strong case for him being the single greatest ATHLETE the sport's ever seen. His comeback in 2010 was just unbelievable considering how long he'd been out, his age, and how deep the field was going into the Olympics. Just as with his 2014 talks, very few actually believed he'd do it, and even fewer thought he'd have any chance at a medal. The guy won silver and was pretty close to winning. Considering he first landed on the world podium in 1998, and he was still a medalist in 2010 (Olympics), that's just simply incredible.

But his arrogant attitude is what I think a lot of people have against him. That and his lack of choreography and inflated scores. But I don't think you can really blame him for the latter. He grew up a 6.0 skater and when the system changed he continued to dominate- so why change? Obviously it caught up with him in 2010 so one would think that the lesson was learned.

Whether he can actually develop his choreography and still get the big jumps in remains to be seen. Certainly seems like a longshot but safe to say that, whether you like him or not, if anyone could do it, it's Plushenko.

Civic
12-02-2011, 12:10 AM

I've never understood the animosity some skating fans have for Plushy. I get that he's not everyone's cup of tea stylistically speaking but then the same was true for Elvis Stojko. However, it's not his fault that he was a stronger competitor than the skaters these fans prefer. It's a sport and the ability to land your toughest jumps when you need them is crucial. Plushy could do it while Sandhu, etc. couldn't. Was he supposed to purposely fall just to make the other skaters and their fans feel better?

bartek
12-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I have a feeling that Plushy will enter competitions like a thunderbolt again like he did in 2009 and much to your annoyance he will again win big titles after a long break. So many people didn't believe he could land a decent triple when he announced his comeback and there he was with consistent quads and OSM. You guys hate him so much, yet the judges seem to love him. I wish him all the best and his comeback would certainly add interest to an already interesting field. Moreover, I think he wouldn't come back if he was to humilitate himself with poor performances so let's prepare for those big jumps and tons of arms flailing.

Ozzisk8tr
12-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Plush has totally been easily one of the best male figure skaters of all time I 100% agree with that statement. The sad part is that he has just become such a joke with his comments, dreadful choreography and pig headed stubornness to adapt to new rules. Then carried on like a pork chop when he didn't get the gold. He used to be my favourite skater, but I just rolled my eyes at his antics so many times that now I just wish he would go away. Still, those who love him are entitled to that.

Susan M
12-02-2011, 12:47 AM
The sad part is that he has just become such a joke with his comments, dreadful choreography and pig headed stubornness to adapt to new rules.
I though in some of his more recent interviews, he was actually becoming quite diplomatic. In the recent article from Rostelcom, he found something complementary to say about every skater he mentioned, Russians and non-Russians alike. I admit this surprised me so much I re-read the article just to make sure I hadn't missed some snark.

I wonder if he is polishing up his manners to play an Olympic ambassador role for Sochi.

VarBar
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Totally agree and I even like Marton, so there!
I would pay millions to see Chan fall on his ass 5 or 6 times as usual and Plushy soar by him with a gigantic quad combo even if the judges then gave Patty a superior score thanks to his swooping and swirling. Chan is still a little boy with zero charisma. (I guess I'd better disable my reputation quick like Casey....):scream:

Look what your idol is saying here:

I think Lysacek - is good, but an average athlete. He's not unique...Unique athletes - it's Chan, Yagudin, Urmanov, Petrenko, Browning, Boitano. But Lysacek ... I think he won because of the judges.

http://www.aif.ru/culture/article/46790

DinDonShamu
12-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Plushenko was great and I liked him up to the 2006 circa. Then men's skating evolved, and I got spoiled with musical, balanced, and complex programs from Takahashi, Buttle, Kozuka, and Chan. So when he returned as a shadow of his old self with programs emptier than Godfather (and skated them so slowly) I totally :scream:. The ridiculous PCS he received and his arrogance just poured more gasoline on the fire ... I fully expect him to come back well trained (on jumps), but until I see it, I won't believe he will rise half an inch above his arms windmilling and posing that was borderline embarrassing for a great champion like himself :yikes:. I also wish to see him challenging himself by putting steps and MITF before those big jumps but am so totally not holding my breath.

BTW, all over the board people are spreading rumors that Patrick Chan has 5 fall advantage over other competitors and that's just wildly exaggerated :blah:. Sure, he fell 4 times last year at Skate Canada but that was only one competition. Look at Takahashi's score from NHK, Chan's own score in Paris, and Hanyu/Fernandez's scores in Russia with mistakes, and you'll clearly see that if Chan messes up he will be off the World podium, let alone falling 5-6 times :blah:.

professordeb
12-02-2011, 02:42 AM
entire post

Well put and it matches many of my sentiments regarding Plushenko - then and more recently.

You've also tried to use logic about Chan and his falls and scores of other skaters who could quite possibly be on the podium in 2014. In spite of what you've written, I still expect people to believe that a 5 (or multiple) -fall Chan will beat anyone & everyone --- because he's Chan!