PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko gonna skate to the variation of Marton

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

ItalianFan
12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Come on... People need a chance to show what they are :argue:. I enjoy reading this trash bitching. :lol:

A lot of people here are convinced that plushy is an arrogant conceited sob. Just to throw an stone in the puddle and make some waves, I suggest that they watch some of this Swedish TV interview aired in Jan. of this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDB1oymz88&feature=BFa&list=PL1292CE04AB3502FE&lf=results_main

There are 4 parts and it lasts about an hour in all. In the link I have provided (part 3) the Swedish interviewer conpliments him on being an interesting and easy going guy. "Not like some of the other big athletes he has interviewed" . Plushy also says that although he gained fame when he was 15 and won 3rd place in the first senior competition, the world championships, he participated in, he now realizes that he is just a "normal person, like everybody else". In part 2 he is asked how did he become such a great skater. Here he acknowledges his debt to his parents, to his coach, to God who gave him the talent and last of all to the hard work he put in himself. Haters take note! The guy is really not that odious!

Holley Calmes
12-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't think Plushy is odious at all. I have criticized his behavior on a few occasions, but this is not the sum total of the man. I don't think anybody's perfect....and my heart used to go out to him when he was much younger and I knew he'd had to leave his home to train at such a young age. I've always loved his skating-though not my absolute fave-one of the top for sure.

He lived in a bubble, kind of. He didn't grow up like other kids. The fact that he just realized he's "normal" like everybody else says a lot. Who could expect him to act like Joe Blow down the block? Competitive people act differently from us more laid back types, and it comes with the territory. He couldn't have been a winner without being fierce and competitive and a perfectionist. I respect that about him. But I don't always think he was wise in his behavior, although that doesn't mean he's a bad person at all. Impulsive, maybe. It certainly doesn't make me a hater.

I try to temper my criticism with positive statements. If we are going to talk about what we think, criticism has to come out when it's felt. That is not being a "hater." Obviously, Plushy is a great champion and will go down in history has one of the greatest male skaters ever.

Ozzisk8tr
12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I don't think Plushy is odious at all. I have criticized his behavior on a few occasions, but this is not the sum total of the man. I don't think anybody's perfect....and my heart used to go out to him when he was much younger and I knew he'd had to leave his home to train at such a young age. I've always loved his skating-though not my absolute fave-one of the top for sure.

He lived in a bubble, kind of. He didn't grow up like other kids. The fact that he just realized he's "normal" like everybody else says a lot. Who could expect him to act like Joe Blow down the block? Competitive people act differently from us more laid back types, and it comes with the territory. He couldn't have been a winner without being fierce and competitive and a perfectionist. I respect that about him. But I don't always think he was wise in his behavior, although that doesn't mean he's a bad person at all. Impulsive, maybe. It certainly doesn't make me a hater.

I try to temper my criticism with positive statements. If we are going to talk about what we think, criticism has to come out when it's felt. That is not being a "hater." Obviously, Plushy is a great champion and will go down in history has one of the greatest male skaters ever.

I so agree with this, but would probably lean toward being a tad more of a hater of Plush because I think if he didn't have his quads he probably wouldn't even make the Russian team (or any other country, except maybe Israel). Realize this as only my opinion of his skating, and has nothing to do with Plush as a person. He was totally my favourite skater through the whole Yagudin era, but his behaviour and comments later on soured my opinion of him. I don't think him a bad person, I think of him as :blah: for saying and acting the way he has in recent years, but many a great person has not been the brightest crayon in the box. How I would love to see him come out and skate an incredible program with a whole bunch of Chan/Abbott/Takahashi in-betweens, with his so amazing jumps, and blow my socks off. I know it won't happen any time soon, but we can dream.
I must say I hate bad sportsmanship, especially done in a passive aggressive way. Nothing turns me off a person quicker. I won't say any more about that now however. :)
Sorry for the rant...

ciocio
12-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I so agree with this, but would probably lean toward being a tad more of a hater of Plush because I think if he didn't have his quads he probably wouldn't even make the Russian team (or any other country, except maybe Israel).

Stay tuned Ozz, Plushy won't have quads at Russian Nationals. :plush:
The fight with Artur or Menshov will be very interesting, but I think he'll make the team. :COP:

berthesghost
12-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Plushy not make the russian world team? I'm confused by this. Even if I compare all of the things I dislike about plushy (bad music, cheesy choreo, hideous costumes, so-so spins) to skaters of the era who excelled at just those things (klimkin, abt), plus take plushy's quad away, I'm still left with a strong, fast, skater with powerful edges, great ice coverage, and amazing triple jumps (high, solid, consistent) that would have still probably ranked higher than abt and klimkin who's jumps were never that dependable.

ItalianFan
12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Ozzisk8tr;3398569]I How I would love to see him come out and skate an incredible program with a whole bunch of Chan/Abbott/Takahashi in-betweens, with his so amazing jumps, and blow my socks off. I know it won't happen any time soon, but we can dream.

me too! and I'm dreaming away waiting for Euros since I'm positive he'll make the team.....

Regarding the previous comment, are there penalities for hideous costumes?? If so, there aren't very many skaters who would avoid these!

ciocio
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I believe we need Misskarne to tell us if Plushy could have beaten Abt without quads, she's a huge fan of both!!!:D

bartek
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Plushy won't make the Russian team? People, he's probably the biggest star in history of russian male skating. I think he's a lock on the team. Even if he doesn't have quads at Nationals he still have SUPER consistnent set of triples. He's probably the most CONSISTENT jumper in history. Even if he makes some mistakes the judges will hold him in PCS, that's for sure.

Vash01
12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
The only way Plushy will not make the Russian team is if he is injured. If he is healthy, he can compete against anyone of the Russian men.

He is a proven champion, and one of the most consistent jumpers (may be THE most consistent) in the history of the sport. He could miss a jump occasionally, and he might, returning from surgery, but there is a lot more to Plushy's skating than jumps. He has great ice coverage, speed, and he commands the ice like no one else. It's quite different watching him skate in person, from watching his closeups on TV. I don't see how the RSF would deny him a spot and gamble on one of younger, unproven skaters as their second man on the team. I also believe that there is enough competitive fire in Plushenko, after all those (well deserved) titles than Gachinski who has yet to discover himself, and is very beatable.

For those who say if he did not have the jumps he would not beat Abt. That is true of any skater who skated in the 6.0 system. Jumps were the name of the game, and that is why Plushenko focused on jumps. Those who grew up in the COP system will naturally work more on other things, knowing that missing a jump won't cost them much.