PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko gonna skate to the variation of Marton

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

briancoogaert
12-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I thought Plushy's footwork looked pretty clunky in the video. Maybe it was the length of his pants (too short) that made me think that. :lol:
LOL, and the spins too. But I was trying to be positive. Otherwise, some people thinks I'm a hater ! :cold:

Civic
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
...plushy is one of the worst sports the sport has ever seen,...
Really? Is he arrogant at times about his abilities? Certainly, but no more than Elvis Stojko or Christopher Dean. Stojko, in particular, kvetched about finishing behind Alexei Urmanov at Lilliehammer for years. He made numerous snide comparisons between himself and Urmanov during the 1994-96 period.

berthesghost
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Pretty funny actually because I learnt it on this board, she said in some interviews that she thought the judging was not right and just left her medal in the next behind the scene room she was in on a table. Ok it's not a bean but still... it's an olys medal. I'm not paying so I can't check the archives. Maybe you don't google well enough.
It reminds me all the silly rumors saying Irina trashed away her bronze too. Very doubtfull as in the same old thread you couldfind intervew where she said on the moment it was hard but it was still something lots of people would dream of and that she now keep it preciously.Hmm.. So I googled the irina story and there were 4 pages of results. :lol: poor Jane, maybe she should hire irina's PR agent. :P

Really? Is he arrogant at times about his abilities? Certainly, but no more than Elvis Stojko or Christopher Dean. Stojko, in particular, kvetched about finishing behind Alexei Urmanov at Lilliehammer for years. He made numerous snide comparisons between himself and Urmanov during the 1994-96 period.
Yes, as I said, he's one of...

Or did you mean him being as bad as Elvis as a compliment? :P:

Sparks
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Yes. And I didn't like Elvis doing that, nor did I care for him b*tching about the results of Vancouver Olympics.

Civic
12-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Hmm.. So I googled the irina story and there were 4 pages of results. :lol: poor Jane, maybe she should hire irina's PR agent. :P

Yes, as I said, he's one of...

Or did you mean him being as bad as Elvis as a compliment? :P:

No, I meant that he hasn't been nearly as bad as Stojko or some others when it comes to this. IMO, the bigger issue is that some of the animosity against Plushenko isn't based on anything he's actually done or said. It's another thing he shares with Urmanov besides having Mishin as a coach. They're different skaters with very different public personas. However, both seemed to symbolize something that certain skating fans found threatening or offensive. JMHO.

Holley Calmes
12-05-2011, 12:23 AM
DUPLICATE!

Holley Calmes
12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
LOL, and the spins too. But I was trying to be positive. Otherwise, some people thinks I'm a hater ! :cold:

Me too. Sometimes I think that to some people, if I'm not a full-blown Plushy-lover, I'm an "enemy." Not true at all! And I think that video also shows that his hair looks a lot more mature and flattering. His body proportions are wonderful.

However, to keep things in perspective.....in Vancouver, Plushy came in as an "elder statesman" of the sport with a gold medal already in his possession. His behavior (the jumping on the top pedestal was particularly childish) and trash talk later is hardly to be compared to a teenage girl or two who had been, in their eyes, gypped of their due according to their own very young and relatively less experienced eyes than PLushy's. Plush has been around the block for too long to not be able to control his emotions. He has been on the world stage for many more years. I agree, I've always found Elvis kind of negative and pouty as well. Plushy seems to me a man who has led such a self-centered life-as he had to do to succeed, I'm not criticizing-that he felt free to give vent to his emotions the way he has. Indulged. One should never believe your own publicity! And I speak as a publicist.

If Plushy can come back and succeed and win, I will be the first to applaud him, because it will be a remarkable achievement regardless of how I feel about him personally-which isn't really all that awful. If he doesn't come back and develops into a statesman representing the sport with class, I will applaud him even more.

Vagabond
12-05-2011, 06:17 AM
I believe nours has confused Jayne Torvill (http://www.maggieowenlondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Rex__1271128w-Copy.jpg) with Irina Slutskaya (http://heatherw.com/mk/pics/events/coi02/irina_backstage.jpg) :wideeyes:

Skating's best and worst By John Zimmerman, Yahoo! Sports | February 25, 2006 (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/news?slug=jz-wrap022506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Irina Slutskaya's tantrum: Some sad news the day after the ladies' free skate. Word was going around that Irina Slutskaya was so angry about her placement that she ended up throwing her bronze medal in the trash. Later reports confirmed this to be true. This is somewhat hard to take as I know Irina to be a sweet and jovial person with a sincere personality. Knowing the trouble Irina had with her own and her mother's health matters I think she wanted that gold too much!

screech
12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Looks like Plushenko is quite OK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3icy2RuOI

Mishin looked adorable in that hat! And it's nice to see a coach of that level (and age) actually on the ice with their student, instead of at the boards like so many seem to when unofficial practice footage is shown.

ciocio
12-05-2011, 07:28 AM

IMO talking about his spins ot footwork is much more appropriate than 1000000000 pages with the same discussion: is Plushenko a bad sport or he isnīt? Yes, he is, no he isnīt, no, no, yes, yes, etc,etc.:argue::revenge::lynch::drama:

Triple Butz
12-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Hopefully sitting at home, listening to Marton CDs or something so that none of the rest of us have to.

If he doesn't listen to them on the ice, what makes you think he listens to them at home?
:rofl::rofl:

Nours
12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I believe nours has confused Jayne Torvill (http://www.maggieowenlondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Rex__1271128w-Copy.jpg) with Irina Slutskaya (http://heatherw.com/mk/pics/events/coi02/irina_backstage.jpg) :wideeyes:

Skating's best and worst By John Zimmerman, Yahoo! Sports | February 25, 2006 (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/news?slug=jz-wrap022506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

No I'm sure of what I said, blessing or not, my memory is very good. On your Torvill picture, she looks more than a older Grishuk actually.
Anyway, I don't feel the need to show him how wrong he is (as it seems to be a pretty enjoyable things to do here). And he's proving my point perfectly : there's some people you just can't say they can behave in a different way as most of the time. At the time I read this about T/D I was also very surprised because they didn't seemed to be that kind of loosers, telling everywhere they were the best and robbed by judges plus the Duchesnay's point (the public knows who's the best better than the judges). And if you trust Google, that's exactly what you will think. But google is made by us. And the dominant feeling expressed in english all over the internet is that they were robbed despite the fact their FD was disastrously choreographed with illegal move. And still it's the fault of ISU and all those evils judges who told them totally different things. I'm sure had they done what they wanted they would have won giving G/P FD wasn't a model of respect of what ISU writed in their handbooks. In 1984 T/D were the best and created a kind of overrated legacy in the western world because of the marks and because they were the first non russians. People thought they would skate like this in 1994 but they just couldn't anymore, they past their prime and were topped by better.
The thing is, there's some you just can't say they can act in an unsportmanship way and there's the russians ; they're just not PC and most of the time speaks their mind. Just look at Slutskaya 2006 (to not talk about Plushenko).

What stikes me is it's always in the same way, Blumberg Seibert, W/McC (oh no we're so good but can't go higher because of thoses russians), B/K and the evil G/P (then even L/A became the axe of evil :rofl:), Duchesnays and the evil K/P ("to beat russians you have to be ten time better" :blah:). Bourne speaking during 2010 olys is also very revealing, there's tons of examples (Tracy Wilson again as a commentator if you hear me). Russians rarely won fair and square (unless you're GG or Kulikudin) even though they were consistently placed aboved and showed better skills, specially in ice dance. But when I see V/M praised as gods and what programs they skated to became champions...

Ozzisk8tr
12-06-2011, 01:27 AM
No I'm sure of what I said, blessing or not, my memory is very good. On your Torvill picture, she looks more than a older Grishuk actually.
Anyway, I don't feel the need to show him how wrong he is (as it seems to be a pretty enjoyable things to do here). And he's proving my point perfectly : there's some people you just can't say they can behave in a different way as most of the time. At the time I read this about T/D I was also very surprised because they didn't seemed to be that kind of loosers, telling everywhere they were the best and robbed by judges plus the Duchesnay's point (the public knows who's the best better than the judges). And if you trust Google, that's exactly what you will think. But google is made by us. And the dominant feeling expressed in english all over the internet is that they were robbed despite the fact their FD was disastrously choreographed with illegal move. And still it's the fault of ISU and all those evils judges who told them totally different things. I'm sure had they done what they wanted they would have won giving G/P FD wasn't a model of respect of what ISU writed in their handbooks. In 1984 T/D were the best and created a kind of overrated legacy in the western world because of the marks and because they were the first non russians. People thought they would skate like this in 1994 but they just couldn't anymore, they past their prime and were topped by better.
The thing is, there's some you just can't say they can act in an unsportmanship way and there's the russians ; they're just not PC and most of the time speaks their mind. Just look at Slutskaya 2006 (to not talk about Plushenko).

What stikes me is it's always in the same way, Blumberg Seibert, W/McC (oh no we're so good but can't go higher because of thoses russians), B/K and the evil G/P (then even L/A became the axe of evil :rofl:), Duchesnays and the evil K/P ("to beat russians you have to be ten time better" :blah:). Bourne speaking during 2010 olys is also very revealing, there's tons of examples (Tracy Wilson again as a commentator if you hear me). Russians rarely won fair and square (unless you're GG or Kulikudin) even though they were consistently placed aboved and showed better skills, specially in ice dance. But when I see V/M praised as gods and what programs they skated to became champions...

Says you. Back in the day the Russians were pretty unbeatable. In my opinion Dom/Shabs were one of the worst Russian dance teams in years, but were held up like they were these incredible skating genius'. I personally thought they were average at best. This is just my opinion though, like the above is just yours.

TAHbKA
12-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Pluschenko: I'm bored in the shows (http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/18291/) interview by E. Kulinicheva

frankly, he isnt' renewing anything there. Just an old boring count of the quads, rants about his injuries and plans to comeback. Will translate later if have time.

Speaking of Stojko, the quote from the interview:
EK: Your old time comrade and a rival Brian Joubert mentioned it was your comback in Vancouver that inspired him to remain in the sport and go on fighting. Is it a nice feeling?
EP: I'm glad to inspire. Guess I deserve that. I respect Brian as an athlete and a man. He's a good person. There is a reason I invite certain people to my shows, even those who I compete against. Some rivals are rotten and I can't stand communicating with them, but there are those who beat you but later approach and say : well done, it just wasn't your day. This is why I skate in the shows with Lambiel, Joubert, Amodio, the Czech guys Brezina and Verner.

I was lucky to have greate mentors. For example Elvis Stojko. When I jsut started competing internationally he was at the final stages of his competitive career, was a 4 times world champion (don't ask. No idea where Pluschenko gets his statistics). I was just a 15y.o. kid who came to his first GP event, was just starting to land my quads. Back then if one landed a quad taking the rest of the programme was clean it mean winning the competition. Stojko approached me, shook my hand and wished me luck.

It was unreal! The 4 times world champion comes to shake mine, no one's! hand understanding I might beat him! It was a huge boost for me . I was looking up to those great athletes. But time goes on and now others are looking up to me. It's great! Awesome! This is why I am trying to do something that I will be remembered in 10-20 years from now. So people would say `Pluschenko - that was a worthy skater'. Now some call me a legend. I want them to go on calling me that (smiles)

ciocio
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Pluschenko: I'm bored in the shows (http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/18291/) interview by E. Kulinicheva

frankly, he isnt' renewing anything there. Just an old boring count of the quads, rants about his injuries and plans to comeback. Will translate later if have time.

If you don't have time, it's ok, they translated it on his official site. The only thing new is that he won't skate to Vanessa Mae's music for SP, it's someting else.

So, one's either a Plushenko fan or a Plushenko enemy, there is no option inbetween.:lol:

'Enemies' seems to be a recurrent word in the statements of Plushenko and Mishin for that matter. According to them, Plushenko doesn't have rivals competing against him but enemies trying to destroy him.:lol:

Allow me to quote another famous russian skater, Alexei Yagudin: "I think like a Russian. My enemy is my enemy." It looks like Russians love enemies, rivalries, etc. LOL!!!!! :)