PDA

View Full Version : 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame nominees (vote to be revealed on Dec. 15, 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Jarrett
12-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't it be amazing if she skated to Fields of Gold in the gala? She could do it--just replace the two triples with doubles...then again, she still does a mean triple toe, so why not? OMG, I'd die to see that! :swoon: I'm sure they'll ask her to skate. I just hope she brings back one of her old programs. My choice would be Fields of Gold (it's so iconic for her) or possibly Dante's Prayer (I love that one!).

Fingers crossed!

I really think you are asking too much. I can't imagine Michelle skating unannouced. I have a feeling it she was skating they would have announced that with the rest of the news and the exhibition tickets would have flown off the shelves.

stogba
12-16-2011, 11:19 PM
I went to the reception last year. I felt very alone as it was clearly all skating people. I had to stand the whole time, food was good you could easily get enough to eat. The people I did talk to were very condescending, like are you friends of the family? When I said I wasn't, just a fan I was told here's another example of milking the fans. I was not welcomed at all but I was in awe at the skating talent in that room. I went because it helped the memorial fund. If I was at Nationals this year I would probably go just to be in the same room with Michelle. It was not however the experience I had hoped it would be. Of course I was by myself, it would be more fun to be with a friend I'm sure.

Jarrett
12-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I went to the reception last year. I felt very alone as it was clearly all skating people. I had to stand the whole time, food was good you could easily get enough to eat. The people I did talk to were very condescending, like are you friends of the family? When I said I wasn't, just a fan I was told here's another example of milking the fans. I was not welcomed at all but I was in awe at the skating talent in that room. I went because it helped the memorial fund. If I was at Nationals this year I would probably go just to be in the same room with Michelle. It was not however the experience I had hoped it would be. Of course I was by myself, it would be more fun to be with a friend I'm sure.

Sorry to hear that experience that you had wasn't what you expected. :( There should at least 20+ normals from MKF this year (if you can call us that) so it won't all be people "in the know." :summer:

BittyBug
12-17-2011, 01:11 AM
When I said I wasn't, just a fan I was told here's another example of milking the fans.There is no question that Michelle Kwan is an extremely deserving winner, but the whole way that U.S. Figure Skating is going about this smacks of a cheap promotional effort. One day after the selection was made, and they've already inserted a landing page on their web site with her picture taking up half the page, touting Kwan as the sole inductee and providing a link to buy tickets. They can't sell tickets to the event on its own merits, so now they're falling back on their sure fire cash cow, Kwan. I mean come on, they couldn't even induct Rudy along side her in his own home town and the site of the "Rudy Galindo moment"? This is clearly engineered for marketing purposes.

Sorry to hear that experience that you had wasn't what you expected. :( There should at least 20+ normals from MKF this year (if you can call us that) so it won't all be people "in the know." :summer:I hope each of you has tempered expectations of at most being in the same room with her, because I really don't think she's going to be doing a meet and greet with the fans. There will be too many inner circle people between you and her. I know that's probably not a notion that all of Michelle's fans would like to entertain, but I think it's a fair prediction of what the event will be like.

Jarrett
12-17-2011, 01:21 AM
There is no question that Michelle Kwan is an extremely deserving winner, but the whole way that U.S. Figure Skating is going about this smacks of a cheap promotional effort. One day after the selection was made, and they've already inserted a landing page on their web site with her picture taking up half the page, touting Kwan as the sole inductee and providing a link to buy tickets. They can't sell tickets to the event on its own merits, so now they're falling back on their sure fire cash cow, Kwan. I mean come on, they couldn't even induct Rudy along side her in his own home town and the site of the "Rudy Galindo moment"? This is clearly engineered for marketing purposes.

I hope each of you has tempered expectations of at most being in the same room with her, because I really don't think she's going to be doing a meet and greet with the fans. There will be too many inner circle people between you and her. I know that's probably not a notion that all of Michelle's fans would like to entertain, but I think it's a fair prediction of what the event will be like.

I wouldn't assume so much. I don't know about the rest but I'm going to just celebrate Michelle's accomplishments and see old friends as this will probably be the last event regarding Michelle. Most of us have know each other since 1998 if not before. I think almost all of them have had met Michelle before and while I have had the chances, I'm usually tongue tied and choose just to stand back and smile.

And yes, while I'm sure it is a cash in on Michelle moment on behalf of the USFSA isn't doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that fact that she is still get honored. I believe someone quotied Philip Hersh who said Rudy (or anyone else nominated) didn't get the 51% of the approval votes needed to be inducted. I'm not sure who the voters are but I would assume it was not a small group of 5 or less.

Sparks
12-17-2011, 01:41 AM
There is no question that Michelle Kwan is an extremely deserving winner, but the whole way that U.S. Figure Skating is going about this smacks of a cheap promotional effort. One day after the selection was made, and they've already inserted a landing page on their web site with her picture taking up half the page, touting Kwan as the sole inductee and providing a link to buy tickets. They can't sell tickets to the event on its own merits, so now they're falling back on their sure fire cash cow, Kwan. I mean come on, they couldn't even induct Rudy along side her in his own home town and the site of the "Rudy Galindo moment"? This is clearly engineered for marketing purposes.

I hope each of you has tempered expectations of at most being in the same room with her, because I really don't think she's going to be doing a meet and greet with the fans. There will be too many inner circle people between you and her. I know that's probably not a notion that all of Michelle's fans would like to entertain, but I think it's a fair prediction of what the event will be like.
I believe this is a bit cynical. I *think* the reception will be be very full, and most MK fans know what to expect. As a long-time Kwan fan, I also know that Michelle is not one to snub anyone and is very personable. Let's just stay tuned and see what the reception will be like.
I have seen many people complain about the USFSA's poor marketing of American figure skating. Now, there are complaints about marketing Kwan's Hall of Fame induction? Michelle is not being exploited, she is being honored.
I will always remian proud of Michelle Kwan, and am excited about this opportunity.

BittyBug
12-17-2011, 02:17 AM
INow, there are complaints about marketing Kwan's Hall of Fame induction? Michelle is not being exploited, she is being honored.You are missing my point. For an organization that is so terrible at marketing, they sure were ready to play up this event, which makes me wonder how much influence TPTB might have had on the outcome.

And of course Michelle is being honored, as she should be, so she is not the one being exploited. The group being exploited are the fans, if they are being led to believe that they will get anything more than a glimpse of her from afar. That's just my opinion, but it's based on more than a bit of experience with U.S. Figure Skating. For the sake of Kwan's fans, I would love to be wrong. But I'd also hate to see people buying a ticket thinking they're going to get a chance to tell Michelle how much they adore her, only to never get near her.

Of course, if as Jarrett said, it's enough to go and celebrate Kwan's legacy with fellow Kwan fans, then fantastic. But I got the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that some were expecting to actually meet Michelle at the reception, and I don't think that will happen.

And yes, I'm cynical. ;)

vocalise
12-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask -- but to those who have gone to a previous reception, what is the dress code? Perhaps early to ask, but curious minds want to know :)

maureenfarone
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I received an email last night from Wallis at USFS concerning the shuttle service after the reception. She checked and said there will be no shuttle service and attendees will need to make their own arrangements for transportation to other hotels.

kwanette
12-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't assume so much. I don't know about the rest but I'm going to just celebrate Michelle's accomplishments and see old friends as this will probably be the last event regarding Michelle. Most of us have know each other since 1998 if not before. I think almost all of them have had met Michelle before and while I have had the chances, I'm usually tongue tied and choose just to stand back and smile.

And yes, while I'm sure it is a cash in on Michelle moment on behalf of the USFSA isn't doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that fact that she is still get honored. I believe someone quotied Philip Hersh who said Rudy (or anyone else nominated) didn't get the 51% of the approval votes needed to be inducted. I'm not sure who the voters are but I would assume it was not a small group of 5 or less.

https://twitter.com/#!/olyphil/

Jarrett, here's Phil's twitter page re: Rudy and the selection process.

What was your favorite cookie again?

kwanette
12-17-2011, 04:10 PM

I missed the reception in Greensboro because of a stomach virus..

But I went to the one in Cleveland and it was quite nice. While waiting to go into the main reception room, I sat in another room and had a wonderful conversation with Carol Heiss and Hayes A. Jenkins. Everyone was very nice. I spoke with both JoJo Starbuck and Dorothy Hamill..and sweet ladies that they are, they both said.."We love your sweater.."

Needless to say, I am thrilled about Michelle's induction. I am sure that it will be a beautiful experience for those attending..

kittyjake5
12-17-2011, 08:15 PM
If there is a MKF contingent at the reception I believe Michelle will definitely speak to them, after all Michelle Kwan Forum has been up and running for practically Michelle's entire career and she has acknowledged the members in the past. I remember watching a talk show I believe it was after Michelle won 2003 Worlds and there was a contingent of MKF fans in the audience. She acknowledged them to the talk show host and had nothing but nice things to say about them.

SkateSand
12-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Would one definitely have to miss the end of the men's short programs in order to attend the reception? I'd love to go, but I don't want to miss part of the competition, either.

kwanfan1818
12-18-2011, 05:08 AM
I mean come on, they couldn't even induct Rudy along side her in his own home town and the site of the "Rudy Galindo moment"?

This decision is so lame. USFS never ceases to live up to my opinion of it.

maureenfarone
12-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Would one definitely have to miss the end of the men's short programs in order to attend the reception? I'd love to go, but I don't want to miss part of the competition, either.

I hate to miss the mens SP but don't see anyway to avoid it! The comp is scheduled 7:30 - 11:00 p.m. The reception runs from 10:00 to midnight. I will be using the shuttle to get from the arena to the Fairmont and think I will probably need to leave the arena about 9:30 - depending on the shuttle schedule. My only consolation is that I can come home and watch the entire mens SP on IceNetwork....but I just hate to miss seeing it live.