PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best chance of beating Chan for the world championship in 2013?

Pages : [1] 2

Vash01
11-27-2011, 02:05 AM
2012 can be written off; Chan will win the championship, but by 2013 some of the young skaters may be ready to beat him. Who has the best chance of winning the 2013 world championship over Chan?

sliver98
11-27-2011, 02:06 AM
the chan haters are out in full force, chan will fall 4 times and win:D

Really
11-27-2011, 02:28 AM
the chan haters are out in full force, chan will fall 4 times and win:DWorks for me! :EVILLE:

marbri
11-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Chan needs to perform at Worlds 2012 to win. Can't compare GP judging and wins against a handful of skaters vs competing against the top men in a world championship. One should NEVER write off any worlds when it comes to singles skating.

blue_idealist
11-27-2011, 03:12 AM
I have a feeling Chan will win them all leading up to Sochi and then win Sochi, but if Fernandez improves even more he may be able to take him on (as well as Takahashi being a legit challenger as usual). Fernandez needs to be able to do the quads at the beginning and NOT conk out near then end of the program, plus get a bit better musicality or whatever, and then he might be ready. Nan Song also pops to mind as someone who's really going to improve over the next few years, but I think it'll be 2015 at least until he's at Chan's level. ;)

falling_dance
11-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Chan needs to perform at Worlds 2012 to win. Can't compare GP judging and wins against a handful of skaters vs competing against the top men in a world championship. One should NEVER write off any worlds when it comes to singles skating.

This. If season-ending results were inscribed in the outcomes of the Grand Prix competitions, then Chan would've won Worlds in 2009.

NMURA
11-27-2011, 03:55 AM
It is now clear Hanyu and Fernandez have been appointed as "Chan's rivals" by the ISU. Their PCS will rise to the level of Takahashi (save NHK-like home favoritism) in near future. Both of them will attempt the two quad SP in next season. Chan won't be able to get away with 3-4 errors to win for so long. Gachinski and Brezina still have the chance to be the "candidate".

FTnoona
11-27-2011, 04:19 AM
It is now clear Hanyu and Fernandez have been appointed as "Chan's rivals" by the ISU. Their PCS will rise to the level of Takahashi (save NHK-like home favoritism) in near future. Both of them will attempt the two quad SP in next season. Chan won't be able to get away with 3-4 errors to win for so long. Gachinski and Brezina still have the chance to be the "candidate".

I doubt Hanyu can pull off a 2 quad SP b/c of his stamina issue. Fernandez seems more likely b/c he seems so consistent with the jump now. I feel that if Hanyu keeps missing his quad the PCS will start going down. I'd say that Chan is pretty safe for now since Takahashi is getting old and Kozuka is not really good with the quad.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 04:25 AM
I doubt Hanyu can pull off a 2 quad SP b/c of his stamina issue. Fernandez seems more likely b/c he seems so consistent with the jump now. I feel that if Hanyu keeps missing his quad the PCS will start going down. I'd say that Chan is pretty safe for now since Takahashi is getting old and Kozuka is not really good with the quad.

Stamina becomes more of an issue in the LP, not so much in the SP. Hanyu is not landing the quad consistently in competitions yet. IMO he has a lot of growing to do, but I like his potential. I don't think he will be ready to beat Chan by 2014 though.

FTnoona
11-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Stamina becomes more of an issue in the LP, not so much in the SP. Hanyu is not landing the quad consistently in competitions yet. IMO he has a lot of growing to do, but I like his potential. I don't think he will be ready to beat Chan by 2014 though.

I think it would be a big issue if he put 2 quads in. After his SP at CoC the poor baby looked so out of breath, but then again he really performed that program in China too IMO.

judgejudy27
11-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Nobody. Chan will win every big event until and including the 2014 Olympics. If he continues past the 2014 Olympics he might start to be challenged.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Nobody. Chan will win every big event until and including the 2014 Olympics. If he continues past the 2014 Olympics he might start to be challenged.

I am not so sure. Skaters that appeared invincible have lost the OGM in the past. Classic examples: Kurt Browning (92), Michelle Kwan (98)

judgejudy27
11-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Michelle Kwan did not seem invincible. She had lost 3 times to Tara Lipinski in the previous 14 months. Kurt Browning also did not. He barely won the 1990 and 1991 Worlds. Chan has about a 5 fall cushion on everyone else right now, and the others have 27 months to close it.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Michelle Kwan did not seem invincible. She had lost 3 times to Tara Lipinski in the previous 14 months. Kurt Browning also did not. He barely won the 1990 and 1991 Worlds. Chan has about a 5 fall cushion on everyone else right now, and the others have 27 months to close it.

"5 fall cushion" - :lol: You are right about that.

Tara had beaten Michelle but by the time 1998 Olys rolled around, it seemed that two clean performances by Michelle were enough for her to win the OGM, regardless of how anyone else skated.

I have to agree that both Kurt and Michelle had strong competition from one skater (Viktor and Tara) while the closest to Chan is Takahashi, and he has already peaked, IMO.

Bournekraatzfan
11-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I was between Rippon and Kozuka...and eventually gave it to Rippon. I just feel like the judges will respond to his skating more. and just imagine the marks he can post with a quad lutz. I really hope he gets rewarded for his hands-over-head 3 lutz...maybe if he performed that jump while he grabbed one of his blades from behind...