PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best chance of beating Chan for the world championship in 2013?

Pages : 1 [2]

Vash01
11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
I was between Rippon and Kozuka...and eventually gave it to Rippon. I just feel like the judges will respond to his skating more. and just imagine the marks he can post with a quad lutz. I really hope he gets rewarded for his hands-over-head 3 lutz...maybe if he performed that jump while he grabbed one of his blades from behind...

Rippon can land a quad lutz???

briancoogaert
11-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Rippon can land a quad lutz???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-eSthy0Gk

He is trying it in competition this season.
Anyway, I really don't think Rippon will be judges favorite in his career. His skating is very beautiful, but he is too cautious, with long entrance into the jumps. His 3Axel is not consistent. Kozuka has much more virtuosity, even if he is not exactly consistent, lol. JMO.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-eSthy0Gk

He is trying it in competition this season.
Anyway, I really don't think Rippon will be judges favorite in his career. His skating is very beautiful, but he is too cautious, with long entrance into the jumps. His 3Axel is not consistent. Kozuka has much more virtuosity, even if he is not exactly consistent, lol. JMO.

Good one. Has he attempted it in ANY competition yet?

briancoogaert
11-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Good one. Has he attempted it in ANY competition yet?
At TEB this past week. But "only" 3.5 turns so, downgraded <<. :)

Vash01
11-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I missed watching TEB completely. I was out of station and did not have frequent access to the internet. I will watch the video on icenetwork. Thanks.

Elkmaria
11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
2012 can be written off; Chan will win the championship

I initially misread the thread title and thought it said 'Who has the best chance of beating Chan for the world championship in 2012?' I voted accordingly and picked Takahashi. I don't think Chan is invincible at the moment. Very hard to beat - yes. But invincible - no. If Takahashi skates two perfect programs and Chan makes some mistakes, I think Takahashi has a decent chance of winning.

As for 2013, I honestly don't know what to think. Putting Chan aside as a given, judges seem to be willing to support the emerging stars such as Hanyu, Brezina and Fernandez (I'd also take into account Amodio and Gachinski, who can gain better form later in the season), but I don't think they will write off older skaters as soon as 2013. By writing 'older skaters' I mean Takahashi, Abbott, Kozuka and possibly Oda. I'm not sure about Joubert and Verner, because I have a feeling that they might be finished :( So I think it will be an open battle, and whoever is better will win.

judgejudy27
11-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Oda is done. He is the #4 Japanese now, it would be a big surprise if he even makes the Japanese World team, or perhaps ever again if Takahashi stays in for Sochi. Hanyu and Kozuka clearly have priority over him, as does Takahashi as long as he continues.

Frau Muller
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
How old will Nathan Chen be in 2013? :)