PDA

View Full Version : Leonova vs. Sotnikova

Pages : [1] 2

krenseby
11-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Does it surprise you that Leonova has beaten Sotnikova at the Cup of Russia by a rather wide margin? Before the season started, did you foresee Leonova besting Sotnikova or did you predict it to end up the other way around?

l'etoile
11-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Adelina was not in good shape, faltering much of her technical elements while Alena had just one mistake throughout her two programs, fall on 2A in her free program and hit two 3-3s. I don't think there could be a valid comparison yet.

koatcue
11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I agree...I also believe that Adelina will be better, so it's good if all this hype around her will falter a little

lmarie086
11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Wasn't Adelina injured recently? Or am I imagining that and it was really a growth spurt, I can't keep track of anything to save my life these days if it isn't related to school lol. But I think Adelina is going to be a far superior skater. She just needs time; she's what, 14?

IceAlisa
11-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, I am surprised and no, I did not foresee. I hope these performances are due to an injury or another health issue and that Adelina will soon take her rightful place among top skaters of her country and possibly, the world.

floskate
11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I think this is all to do with another growth spurt, her summer injury and dealing with being Russia's skating posterchild. Last year she won everything easily and skated clean program after clean program. Now she's having to learn the hard way.

Liza is kind of having Adelina's winning season this year but obviously on a much bigger stage. She's super consistent and that combo is winning her competitions. She seems to have been very much No.2 to Sotnikova since 2009 Nationals so she has no real pressure this year so far. But with expectations growing every minute and a growth spurt surely on the horizon, it will be interesting how these two wonderful skaters progress towards Sochi. I just hope they are both there.

topaz
11-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I think this is all to do with another growth spurt, her summer injury and dealing with being Russia's skating posterchild. Last year she won everything easily and skated clean program after clean program. Now she's having to learn the hard way.

Liza is kind of having Adelina's winning season this year but obviously on a much bigger stage. She's super consistent and that combo is winning her competitions. She seems to have been very much No.2 to Sotnikova since 2009 Nationals so she has no real pressure this year so far. But with expectations growing every minute and a growth spurt surely on the horizon, it will be interesting how these two wonderful skaters progress towards Sochi. I just hope they are both there.

I think Liza will be fine if she grows a little. I don't think she'll grow that much, her frame is small. Liza's jump technique is superb and that usually means the transition will be alot smoother.

I like both Liza and Adelina, I think Adelina has to learn how to compete on the bigger stage better. Liza so far has demostrated she can control her nerves.

I think Alena is going to be around for while folks. She is becoming more consistent and confident with each skate. She is a fierce competitor and I think she will improve speed wise, ice coverage and possibly develop in other ways. However, she needs to keep that flirty, energetic personality on the ice. Alena has already developed her on ice style and personality; the judges like it too.

Alena is only 21 years old, so she's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Vash01
11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I am not sold on Sotnikova yet. May be her recent injury is causing her technical problems, but she does not come across as someone with a competitive personality. May be it's just a matter of time; she is very young.

Liza definitely has 'it' and I am really looking forward to how far she goes in her skating career. I am already a fan, and I think after this GP series the RSF may give bigger support to Liza, unless Adelina shows marked improvement.

OOPS! I forgot that this thread is about Leonova vs. Sotnikova. I am liking Leonova more and more since last year's worlds. She is no pretty doll, and she lacks the finesse of some top skaters, but boy is she competitive! She has established herself as a passionate skate who lays it all on the ice. With each competition she seems to become more confident. I like her fearless style, and I think she could be around till 2014.

Cherub721
11-26-2011, 09:14 PM
I think Alena is going to be around for while folks. She is becoming more consistent and confident with each skate. She is a fierce competitior and I think she will improve speed wise, ice coverage and possibly develop in other ways. However, she needs to keep that flirty, energetic personality on the ice. Alena has already developed her on ice style and personality; the judges like it too.

Alena is only 21 years old, so she's not going anywhere anytime soon.

:respec: She's a fighter all the way. Hope to see her in Sochi.

pinky166
11-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Leonova is the new Ando it seems, so I agree that she will probably stick around and do quite well for herself for awhile, especially if the real Ando doesn't come back which looks likely at this point.

As for Sotnikova, I think the injury, growthspurt, and pressure have all gotten to her. But, the judges haven't given up hope on her yet, so when she does deliver (which hopefully she will later in the season), I expect her to score quite well and be a contender. Liza and Adelina seemed to have switched places this season. Last year, Liza was not as consistent and was seen as the number 2 skater, this year, Liza is skating clean, hitting her 3-3 consistently, and winning everything, and Adelina is masked by her shadow. I think she will bounce back though, it just might take a while.

Also Biryukova looked much improved, and her FS score here was higher than Shelepen has ever scored in international competition (though she has only competed her junior programs), so I really hope the Euro team is Leonova, Shelepen, and Biryukova and then Birykova goes to Worlds as well. Or I'd totally love Leonova, Biryukova, and Korobeynikova for Euros, but Shelepen is so consistent that I don't see that happening. But I was very impressed with Sofia here and thought she deserved bronze, honestly.

IceAlisa
11-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Ando had much better jumping technique.

Vash01
11-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Leonova is the new Ando it seems, so I agree that she will probably stick around and do quite well for herself for awhile, especially if the real Ando doesn't come back which looks likely at this point.

I have to disagree. The two are far apart in jumps (Ando is one of the best). Ando's jumps are gorgeous. Leonova is more passionate, and leaves it all on the ice. Ando is more controlled, which is probably good for her. Both are competitors but Alena is more so, IMO, because she really does not have the natural talent of some of the other skaters, and she gets it done by fighting for everything.

BTW I thought Sofia and Haruka were both robbed; they should have placed higher than Adelina. Judges should not give marks based on potential; the actual skating has to be judged.

pinky166
11-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I have to disagree. The two are far apart in jumps (Ando is one of the best). Ando's jumps are gorgeous. Leonova is more passionate, and leaves it all on the ice. Ando is more controlled, which is probably good for her. Both are competitors but Alena is more so, IMO, because she really does not have the natural talent of some of the other skaters, and she gets it done by fighting for everything.

BTW I thought Sofia and Haruka were both robbed; they should have placed higher than Adelina. Judges should not give marks based on potential; the actual skating has to be judged.

I agree that their styles are different, but I was more trying to make the point that they are both power jumpers who lack the elegance and pwetty pwincess-ness of the other top skaters but still manage to do well for themselves regardless due to being good competitors, consistent jumpers, and COP savvy.

topaz
11-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Leonova is more passionate, and leaves it all on the ice. Ando is more controlled, which is probably good for her. Both are competitors but Alena is more so, IMO, because she really does not have the natural talent of some of the other skaters, and she gets it done by fighting for everything.

I get the feeling that Alena knows the other girls have more natural ability and talent; but it motivates her even harder to distinguish herself from the others, i.e. flirty, passionate and energetic personality on and off the ice.

topaz
11-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree that their styles are different, but I was more trying to make the point that they are both power jumpers who lack the elegance and pwetty pwincess-ness of the other top skaters but still manage to do well for themselves regardless due to being good competitors, consistent jumpers, and COP savvy.

I have to admit this is a major reason I've warmed to Alena. :respec:

I have to say I really like her packaging too.:shuffle: