PDA

View Full Version : skatecast #51: interview with PJ Kwong, Canadian commentator/blogger

Pages : [1] 2

manleywoman
11-26-2011, 03:04 AM
She blogs!
She commentates!
She coaches!
She wrote a book!
She posts on FSU!

PJ Kwong is a Canadian commentator and blogger, and we had a nice chat about how she got her start in TV, her thoughts on the SLC 2002 scandal, and how she likes to approach commentary. She even gives FSU a big shout out. :D

She's giving away a signed copy of her 2010 book "Taking the Ice: Success Stories from the World of Canadian Figure Skating" which has interviews from some of Canada's greats.

Give it a listen at either the iTunes Store or at www.manleywoman.com

Next month: Lucinda Ruh

Lacey
11-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Manleywoman, right after you asked if we had questions for Lucinda Ruh, I received her book from Amazon, I had ordered it long ago and forgotten, hope you have seen it, I'm half way through, and she has quite an incredible story.

manleywoman
11-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Yes, she sent me an advance copy to read (and 2 to give away to listeners). It's pretty extraordinary. I'm going to write a review about it too.

skatesindreams
11-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I enjoyed the interview very much; and appreciated PJ's unique perspective on all aspects of skating.
Many thanks, to both of you.

PJ, I hope to read your book about "Legendary Skaters" one day!

March_Hare
11-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Very enjoyable interview, thank you! And now that I know your site exists I look forward to checking out your other interviews as well. :)

manleywoman
11-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks March_Hare!

manleywoman
12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I's now been transcribed: read the interview here. (http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-51-pj-kwong/)

manleywoman
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't forget to enter to win a copy of her fabulous book: www.manleywoman.com

kates8
12-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Great article! I have always appreciated PJs commentary and its nice to know more about her. Thanks

manleywoman
12-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Today is the last day to enter to win a signed copy of her book (http://www.manleywoman.com)"Taking the Ice: Success Stories from the World of Canadian Figure Skating" which has interviews from some of Canada's greats.

Have a great holiday everyone!

leapfrogonice
12-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Such a huge supporter of Canadian skaters, it must be great to have her enthusiasm for the sport available through so many channels of communication. That said, she always strikes me as much more a "fan" than a journalist per se. One gets this impression because she seems to always find a way to put in an extra bit of spin for her favorites, and rarely misses a chance to use subtle yet obvious "digs" at competitors of her favorites. Under the guise of engaging others in conversation she is slyly raising doubts or perpetuating negatives of those she is not a "fan" of. Has this tone overall that is very much like the sit-com "mother-in-law" with backhanded comments which seem innocuous at face value, and delivered with folksy enthusiasm, but actually come across in my opinion as thinly veiled attacks, anchored in the kind of bias a fan might have.

Skate Talker
12-22-2011, 04:46 AM
pffffft ^^

love_skate2011
12-22-2011, 05:50 AM
I wonder if she'll mention sugarcoats again for Rochette
well at least for her, All Canadian Skaters are the Best !!!

Kwong I agree, so obvious that those she dislikes ( especially non canadians )
she uses thinly vailed attacks in a form of her comments with of course the emphasis on the negatives mostly for those she is not a fan of,

I dislike Kwong more other than of course the obvious bias, for Scott Hamilton he just has a dirty mouth but for Kwong she's an All Around ( get it ? ) :D

overedge
12-22-2011, 06:15 AM
I
I dislike Kwong more other than of course the obvious bias, for Scott Hamilton he just has a dirty mouth but for Kwong she's an All Around ( get it ? ) :D

You can dislike her commentary all you want, but you really don't have to stoop to insulting her appearance.

love_skate2011
12-22-2011, 06:19 AM
^

Im not referring to her appearance :confused:
THIS is an All Around

She blogs!
She commentates!
She coaches!
She wrote a book!
She posts on FSU!