PDA

View Full Version : Which men have best chances at Silver and Bronze at Worlds this year

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

RunnersHigh
11-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Plz, do not put a jinx on him!!!

Cherub721
11-26-2011, 11:31 PM
I suspect that if he gets injured and withdraws, people will still complain he's overscored at the event.

Well he would probably still win. :P

pinky166
11-27-2011, 12:24 AM
It startles me how little people seem to get that this statement is not true.

Well, it sort of is, but the same was true of Yuna when she was competing. The only person who could beat her was Mao, and that was only when she made mistakes. It's the same way for Patrick, a clean Dai with a quad is the only person who is going to be able to beat him, unless he REALLY tanks, and by that I mean multiple pops, because falls don't seem to prevent him from winning, even 4 in a competition. But, there do seem to be more really strong men competing right now than there were women when Yuna was still competing and at her best. Chan's FS score at TEB was the lowest he's scored in awhile, but Fernandez has managed to top that FS number twice, and Dai and Hanyu each once, even Nan Song came very close to matching that number Patrick put up in the free last week. I know, these were all at different competitions, but if Patrick was competing at COR and replicated his TEB FS here, I'm not sure he would of won, he could have come in third honestly. And if Hanyu and Fernandez were both to beat him, then I think some people might calm down. I mean, Verner DID beat him at COR last year, and yeah I know Chan fell 4 times and Zayacked, but that was a quadless Verner who wasn't even entirely clean in either program and had a rather sucky FS (construction wise, he skated it well) to boot. So Patrick is not invincible, he just has a multiple error cushion on the rest of the men. The same was true of Yuna, who lost to Mao a few times because her cushion was only maybe 2 mistakes and she occasionally made more than that. Chan's cushion over Takahashi is likely the same, although Takahashi helps him out by being so inconsistent - but that's not Patrick's fault.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't see Chan losing the WC this season, no matter what happens. Next year could be another story. There are some young skaters that are coming up that could challenge him, all the way to Sochi. As much as I love Takahashi's skating, IMO he has peaked and is not likely to beat Chan this year or in the future.

sliver98
11-27-2011, 12:30 AM
worlds are in canada next year i doubt chan will lose unless he tanks.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 12:35 AM
worlds are in canada next year i doubt chan will lose unless he tanks.

Elvis was a two time WC when the worlds were held in Canada (Edmonton). He lost.

blue_idealist
11-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Elvis was a two time WC when the worlds were held in Canada (Edmonton). He lost.

Elvis isn't as 'perfect' as Chan though. ;) He was all about the jumps.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Elvis isn't as 'perfect' as Chan though. ;) He was all about the jumps.

In the 6.0 landing the jumps consistently gave the skaters tremendous advantage, particularly if one of the jumps was a quad combination, which Elvis was the only one doing consistently at that point. He fell on the triple axel in the SP and that took him out of gold contention.

Chan is not perfect either. Have you completely ignored his falls on jumps?

dinakt
11-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Fernandez has been consistently scoring very high this season. I think he has a good chance to be a Euro Champ and to medal at Worlds.
Hanyu is also quite possible, though I think it's a bit less likely due to his youth and stamina issues.
Takahashi is very likely to medal; his PCS are through the roof, and rightfully so.
My dream is to see Abbott on the podium. He is finally getting the PCS to put him there, he is so very deserving, but he has to keep sorting out his jumps; as of now his technical content in the LP will not let him medal. My dearest wish is that he gets it all together. Falling on 4T does not matter so much, but he needs two 3A and clean triples.

FTnoona
11-27-2011, 04:24 AM
I think Fernandez is Chan's biggest worry b/c so far he has a reliable quad and 3A. IMO Fernandez is most likely to get silver. With Takahashi taking the Bronze since he has the PCS to back him up but he doesn't have very dependable jumps and I think he's only going for the quad since he gets a good amount of points for rotating it and staying on his feet.

pinky166
11-27-2011, 04:28 AM
What do people think about Brezina? After Worlds last year, I thought he had a good shot at scaring Patrick, but this season, he hasn't been disappointing, but I guess he just hasn't been that super either. It's like his scores are consistently good but not great. I don't like his FS, but I wonder if he starts trying 2 quads in it and can work out the stamina issues he usually has at the end of his FS, if his PCS can get high enough to medal at Worlds and be a real threat to Chan. I'm not sure if he can though. He's a great jumper and a well-rounded skating, but he just seems to be missing something, though I can't put my finger on what that might be.

blue_idealist
11-28-2011, 03:40 AM
In the 6.0 landing the jumps consistently gave the skaters tremendous advantage, particularly if one of the jumps was a quad combination, which Elvis was the only one doing consistently at that point. He fell on the triple axel in the SP and that took him out of gold contention.

Chan is not perfect either. Have you completely ignored his falls on jumps?

I had 'perfect' in quotation marks. I see Chan as far from perfect, ie. his stumbles on footwork sequences.. and of course jumps.. but the judges seem to see him as 'perfect' and reward him even when he has a bad skate, because of his skating skills or whatever. Elvis didn't get that same love. If he didn't nail his quads, he lost; you wouldn't see him winning a competition with three or four falls. It's almost impossible for Chan to lose anything in the judges' eyes. Sorry if this sounds like I'm bashing Chan, I actually quite like him, but I'm just pointing out a trend.

Nomad
11-28-2011, 04:06 AM
What do people think about Brezina? ...

I think that Březina has a tremendous amount of potential which he probably won't realize as long as he's coached by that scumbag Karel Fajfer. I wish Michal would dump him and find someone who could really bring out the best in him. From what I've read, Fajfer's methods are more punitive than positive.

Vash01
11-28-2011, 04:46 AM
I had 'perfect' in quotation marks. I see Chan as far from perfect, ie. his stumbles on footwork sequences.. and of course jumps.. but the judges seem to see him as 'perfect' and reward him even when he has a bad skate, because of his skating skills or whatever. Elvis didn't get that same love. If he didn't nail his quads, he lost; you wouldn't see him winning a competition with three or four falls. It's almost impossible for Chan to lose anything in the judges' eyes. Sorry if this sounds like I'm bashing Chan, I actually quite like him, but I'm just pointing out a trend.

I agree with you about how the judges see Chan. He is a beautiful skater, but he does have his issues- losing focus in the middle of a program.

judgejudy27
11-28-2011, 05:26 AM
What do people think about Brezina? After Worlds last year, I thought he had a good shot at scaring Patrick, but this season, he hasn't been disappointing, but I guess he just hasn't been that super either. It's like his scores are consistently good but not great. I don't like his FS, but I wonder if he starts trying 2 quads in it and can work out the stamina issues he usually has at the end of his FS, if his PCS can get high enough to medal at Worlds and be a real threat to Chan. I'm not sure if he can though. He's a great jumper and a well-rounded skating, but he just seems to be missing something, though I can't put my finger on what that might be.

No way Brezina can come anywhere near Chan this year. If he improves alot from where he is now he could be a threat to medal (not gold) at Worlds though.