PDA

View Full Version : Which men have best chances at Silver and Bronze at Worlds this year

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

aftershocks
11-26-2011, 07:07 AM
takahashi has zero chance against Chan if he doesn`t land a quad and those nhk scores i`m sure chan will obliterate that later in the season.

Or, the judges will obliterate no matter what Chan happens to do on the ice. :rolleyes:

Yeah I think that is a pretty safe assumption (and if somehow this turns into a jinxing thread I wont mind in the least, in fact it would be an unexpected thrill).

That really says lots about you. That you would get a thrill for someone being beaten as opposed to your favourite winning.

This is one of the more curious polls judgejudy has thought up, but I must say that I don't actually blame judgejudy re her anticipated "thrill."

Any thinking Chan fan has got to admit, the judges do the sport and Chan no favors by consistently rewarding him when he makes glaring mistakes. No skater should get away with that number of faux pas and still garner ridiculously high scores so routinely -- I don't care how superior said skater's SS are. It is obviously unfair that the Chan treatment is not meted out equally. No one else gets away with such unclean performances on such a consistent basis.

museksk8r
11-26-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm not convinced that Chan can never lose. Even Michelle Kwan, Midori Ito, and Yu-Na Kim all lost gold medals from time to time after becoming World Champions to people such as Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Irina Slutskaya, Maria Butyrskaya, Shizuka Arakawa, Kristi Yamaguchi, Jill Trenary, Mao Asada, and Miki Ando, for example. No one is completely invincible. I don't believe Chan should be held to such esteem as he is by the judges on the PCS mark; yes, on his skating skills, but his other components such as TR, P/E, CH, and IN should not be clearly better than others, such as Takahashi and Abbott, for example.

aftershocks
11-26-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm not convinced that Chan can never lose. ...

We can only hope, museksk8r. Truly not a good thing that it comes to this kind of "hoping" and anticipated "thrill" or wishing to see someone lose b/c of consistent over-scoring. The judges seem not to care -- they seem intent on riding Chan at least all the way to 2013 Worlds (and maybe beyond), unless he breaks completely down before then.

Zokko!
11-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Let's still dream the "impossible": Candyman Chan won't be judges darling for once and will be defended by phenomenal Dai! :P
(I won't participate in this poll, sorry!) :slinkaway

aftershocks
11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
^^ Agree Zokko! I didn't bother participating in the poll either ...

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe ...

To right the unrightable wrong ...
To reach the unreachable star ...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...

And I know if Dai and Jeremy will only be true to this glorious quest ...
The skating world will be better for this!

blue_idealist
11-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Abbott - He's usually already peaked at this time, might make some mistakes and drop into the bottom half of the top 10. There's also the risk that he won't even BE there, although I think he'll be able to qualify.

Takahashi - I think he can still challenge for GOLD with the way he's been skating and the way Chan has been skating in the past couple of competitions.

Hanyu - He's too young yet and there's no guarantee he'll even be there.

Oda - Doesn't look promising this season, with his injury and his tendency to have meltdowns/make silly mistakes at inopportune times.

Kozuka - YES, medalled last year and has been skating well on the GP, no big problems.

Gachinski - Has a chance, he medalled last year and while he hasn't blown everyone away on the GP, he's been skating decently.

Brezina - He has a good chance too since he's been skating well on the GP, and when his jumps are there he's on fire.

Fernandez - I think he has some good skates but he's not quite ready yet to take the podium. Maybe top 5.

Joubert - With his skating last year and his injury and consequent withdrawal from the GP, I unfortunately don't have much hope for him being on the podium this year. Let's hope I'm proved wrong!

Verner - Withdrew from a GP event and skated pretty badly at the other one, so I don't see him as a likely candidate for the podium right now.

Song - This is a hard one to call, as he started skating magnificently out of nowhere. I'm not sure if he's ready for a medal yet, or if he'll continue the wonderful skating streak, but he's got a shot.

Rippon - I'm not sure if he'll make it out of the US, and if he does, I don't think he's quite at the level of some of the guys on this list.

aftershocks
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
^^ Generally good assessments, except I don't agree that Gachinski has been "skating decently," while Abbott "usually already peaked at this time."

Gachinski is definitely talented, but he looks like an awkward colt right now and his legs are quite stiff on his jump landings. Plus he doesn't seem to know what to do with his arms, and he's generally a diamond in the rough -- needs a lot of polishing.

As far as Jeremy, we shall see. He's got great programs this season. You can't say that he peaked "around this time" in 2008-2009 -- season of his first GPF win and his first Nationals win. In 2009 - 2010, Jeremy may have peaked at Nationals, but not "around this time." In 2010 - 2011, I don't think Jeremy ever "peaked." He was dealing with skate problems and adjustments all season long, and he still skated some very good programs that were a bit low-balled in the scoring (and he medaled on GP circuit). He skated great in the sp at Nats, faltered a bit in the fp, and paid the price.

We're in the new season now and its not over yet.

bbkenn
11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I dont think the home factor means much. Some thought that last year when Chan won Skate Canada with 4 falls, but as it turns out there wasnt any home factor, that is how Chan is scored everywhere starting last summer. :lol: So yes if Chan has another competition loaded with mistakes and Takahashi has a competition like NHK I could see Takahashi winning the GP final for the first time. I couldnt see him beating Chan at Worlds though since there even if Chan makes alot of mistakes, he wouldnt be denied retaining his World title by the judges IMHO.

Takahashi will not win GPF or Worlds if he doesn't land a quad. The top 3 who land the quad and quad triple successfully will win, pure and simple.

Vash01
11-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Takahashi will not win GPF or Worlds if he doesn't land a quad. The top 3 who land the quad and quad triple successfully will win, pure and simple.

Hanyu is winning without landing a quad, when others land it. I don't think the quad is that big a factor anymore.

pinky166
11-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Hanyu looks good to medal now, I honestly think it will be Patrick followed by the 3 Japanese men. Others have an outside chance, but Jeremy's quad is not consistent and he'll need it at Worlds to medal especially where he's been making lots of other jump mistakes recently, Javier is doing great now but I have to wonder if it will last, Brezina's skating is a bit milk-toasty for my taste and I really don't think his FS this season does him any favors and he also tends to have stamina issues in the FS, Arthur could surprise but seems to be struggling a little bit recently, Joubert and Verner could earn the marks to be up there if either skates a blinder but they are both injured currently and I don't really see that happening, Van Der Perren and Contesti might be able to jump their way to the European podium but I highly doubt that could happen at Worlds (same goes for Song and 4CC), Amodio has been struggling recently and his programs are bad and his quad doesn't seem consistent enough yet, Oda is off and I doubt he even makes the team this season.

My picks are Patrick, Hanyu and Kozuka, and if the good Takahashi shows up he can knock one of his countrymen off the podium.

blue_idealist
11-26-2011, 10:40 PM
^^ Generally good assessments, except I don't agree that Gachinski has been "skating decently," while Abbott "usually already peaked at this time."

Gachinski is definitely talented, but he looks like an awkward colt right now and his legs are quite stiff on his jump landings. Plus he doesn't seem to know what to do with his arms, and he's generally a diamond in the rough -- needs a lot of polishing.

As far as Jeremy, we shall see. He's got great programs this season. You can't say that he peaked "around this time" in 2008-2009 -- season of his first GPF win and his first Nationals win. In 2009 - 2010, Jeremy may have peaked at Nationals, but not "around this time." In 2010 - 2011, I don't think Jeremy ever "peaked." He was dealing with skate problems and adjustments all season long, and he still skated some very good programs that were a bit low-balled in the scoring (and he medaled on GP circuit). He skated great in the sp at Nats, faltered a bit in the fp, and paid the price.

We're in the new season now and its not over yet.

Sorry, I meant by that he's already peaked by this time, that he's already peaked BY WORLDS, not right now during the GP series. I should have been more clear.

PDilemma
11-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I assume that if Patrick skates clean at Worlds he will be awarded all three medals.:slinkaway

Proustable
11-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Any thinking Chan fan has got to admit, the judges do the sport and Chan no favors by consistently rewarding him when he makes glaring mistakes. No skater should get away with that number of faux pas and still garner ridiculously high scores so routinely -- I don't care how superior said skater's SS are. It is obviously unfair that the Chan treatment is not meted out equally. No one else gets away with such unclean performances on such a consistent basis.

It startles me how little people seem to get that this statement is not true.

Proustable
11-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I assume that if Patrick skates clean at Worlds he will be awarded all three medals.:slinkaway

I suspect that if he gets injured and withdraws, people will still complain he's overscored at the event.

professordeb
11-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I suspect that if he gets injured and withdraws, people will still complain he's overscored at the event.

Yep, sounds about right to me :lol: I'm sure the Chan haterz will be out in full force :D