PDA

View Full Version : Post your Rise Movie Review.

Pages : 1 [2]

zilam98
11-28-2011, 04:41 AM
how come we still dont see a lot of african-american skaters on ice?

professordeb
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM

My guess is it comes down to money more than anything else. It costs - at lot to do some sports (figure skating and hockey being two of the ones that quickly come to my mind) compared to say ... soccer or basketball.

FSWer
11-29-2011, 12:56 AM

Before we get back to the main topic of this thread....your reviews. Can anyone confurm if I'm right at saying that Marbel Fairbanks was indeed the actual first Black Ladies Competitor to show that Skating should be for BOTH Blacks AND Whites..and does indeed hold the title in History as Black Competitive Ladies Freestyle Skater...#1?

overedge
11-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Before we get back to the main topic of this thread....your reviews. Can anyone confurm if I'm right at saying that Marbel Fairbanks was indeed the actual first Black Ladies Competitor to show that Skating should be for BOTH Blacks AND Whites..and does indeed hold the title in History as Black Competitive Ladies Freestyle Skater...#1?

The article Sylvia linked to says that she was never able to compete. This video explains that to compete in her era, you had to be a member of a USFSA club, and clubs generally didn't allow African-Americans to join.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kW4bSdx2o

So she was probably one of the first African-American skaters in shows, galas, exhibitions, etc., but she wasn't a competitive skater.

FSWer
11-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Thank you for the links! Mabel had one of the most BEAUTIFUL split leaps I have ever seen!

I love how she autographed her photos "Skatingly Yours, Mabel Fairbanks". :cool:

I can only imagine how many great talents were lost due to discrimination in that era. :(

Who is she with then in the Flicr pic. that Sashaspins posted? It looks like at 1 time she was an Ice-Dancer with a Parner. Any more Rise Reviews?

aftershocks
11-29-2011, 03:52 AM
I have a really fuzzy memory of someone coaching a female African American skater after hours because she was not white. This young skater went on to coach other non-white skaters and was honored not too long ago. I'll try to locate more information, but maybe this will jog some other (better) minds.

Mabel Fairbanks didn't only coach "non-white" skaters, she coached skaters from many ethnic backgrounds.

Listen to manleywoman's skatecast interview with Randy Gardner -- he shares some wonderful anecdotes about Mabel Fairbanks.

FSWer
11-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Mabel Fairbanks didn't only coach "non-white" skaters, she coached skaters from many ethnic backgrounds.

Listen to manleywoman's skatecast interview with Randy Gardner -- he shares some wonderful anecdotes about Mabel Fairbanks.

If she was a coach,then she must have competed,right? Or can you be a coach without being a competitor yourself?

overedge
11-29-2011, 05:56 AM
If she was a coach,then she must have competed,right? Or can you be a coach without being a competitor yourself?

If someone is willing to pay you to teach them, you can be a coach, regardless of your history. Of course, coaches who have competed or who have performed in shows are usually better coaches, but you don't have to have been a competitive skater to become a coach.

Clarice
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM

Remember, she didn't compete because she wasn't allowed to compete, not because she wasn't good enough.

Anyway, a coach doesn't necessarily need to be able to do stuff; they need to be able to effectively get somebody else to do it. If you've done it yourself, it's easier to understand what needs to be done, but the best coaches don't necessarily have to be the best skaters. They need to be good at analyzing what a skater needs to do to improve, and they need excellent communication skills. Most coaches have been competitors themselves, but I've had some very good coaching from people who were trained as dancers, not skaters. They could see what I needed to change, and were able to show me what I needed to do to make my skating better.

nubka
11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Does anybody else have anything to say about the actual movie? I haven't seen it yet, and would like to read some more reviews.

Please.... :) :) :)

Sylvia
11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
You can check out the original RISE reviews thread when it was released in movie theaters back in February this year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77651

aftershocks
11-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks Sylvia!

This thread title should probably be changed to: Questions and Answers About Mabel Fairbanks -- famous but little known former skater/ coach

nubka
11-29-2011, 05:00 PM
You can check out the original RISE reviews thread when it was released in movie theaters back in February this year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77651

Thanks, I'll check it out, since this thread has been most definately hijacked... :rollin:

Frau Muller
11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Perhaps we should direct FSWer to the long thread on the initial showing of RISE, in which 100s of reviews were written? This wouold have been back in March 2011.