PDA

View Full Version : Is There Hope For Brandon Mroz?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rex
11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Two awful back-to-back freeskates at the GP. His shorts are fine. WTF is going on with him? Is he putting too much into the quad lutz? And he seldom looks happy and relaxed on the ice - I call him Brandon Morose :P. I thought he was one of our hopefuls but he's been terrible this season. Does he have fans here? Is he a head case or what?

Sylvia
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Does he have fans here?
Paging Theatregirl1122... ;)

Rex
11-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Paging Theatregirl1122... ;)

:lol: She's one of the more rational posters here...I'm sure she can give an honest and unbiased assessment....;)

Sylvia
11-22-2011, 03:31 PM
There was some discussion about Mroz after NHK Trophy in the US Men's thread -- see Theatregirl1122's post #531: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78766&page=27

Let's see how Mroz does in Russia this week -- it's a packed men's field.

orbitz
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Mroz has to nail everything single element in his SP and LP to hope for a 3rd place on the National podium. Looking at how his skating has been going this year and last year, my bet is that he won't make the World Team.

Bev Johnston
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I knew Brandon when he was growing up. Skated on the same ice with him for years... I don't think he's a headcase.

I think the interview he gave on NPR after his quad lutz was ratified tells the tale. To paraphrase, he thinks aritisty is "for the ladies." Clearly, the kid can jump, now he just needs to work on everything else and learn how to integrate those jumps into a program.

haribobo
11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Two awful back-to-back freeskates at the GP.

He's only competed at 1 GP event so far- his second one is coming up.

nubka
11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
No. There is no hope...

olifaunt
11-22-2011, 04:27 PM
He's only competed at 1 GP event so far- his second one is coming up.

He did have a fairly miserable freeskate at regionals where he popped a lot of jumps in the back half of the program. He popped jumps in the back of his NHK freeskate as well. I wonder if the problem is that his program isn't constructed to fit his endurance levels.

Brandon needs better expression and artistry if he wants to survive when the jumps don't work. His face is very blank when he skates. I believe there is hope for him because he has a sound technical base, but he needs more speed, especially in his footwork, and a huge injection of personality. I hope his coaching team realizes that.

Bev Johnston
11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
He did have a fairly miserable freeskate at regionals where he popped a lot of jumps in the back half of the program. He popped jumps in the back of his NHK freeskate as well. I wonder if the problem is that his program isn't constructed to fit his endurance levels.

Brandon needs better expression and artistry if he wants to survive when the jumps don't work. His face is very blank when he skates. I believe there is hope for him because he has a sound technical base, but he needs more speed, especially in his footwork, and a huge injection of personality. I hope his coaching team realizes that.

Maybe he only practices the first part of his program, or doesn't do full run-throughs?

I believe Brandon is capable of upping his expression and artistry. He had dreadful posture before he went away to Colorado. If he can fix that, I feel like he can fix anything he really wants to fix. The question is, does he want to fix it?

orbitz
11-22-2011, 04:34 PM
he has a sound technical base

Brandon has been inconsistent with his jumps for the past two years. So no, I would not say that he as "a sound technical base".

olympic
11-22-2011, 05:20 PM
There is hope if -

He shows a willingness to work on his general skating skills and changes coaches to someone who can point him in that direction. I think if he gets away from Tom Z and goes to someone who can show him a different aspect to skating (work on his basic skating skills) then, there is hope for him. But that will have to come from inside him. Right now, he just seems to want to attack the big jumps at the expense of everything else. His other moves seem so thrown away at times. I would think if Tom Z was a responsible coach, he would've tried to work on his skating skills over the past few years.

OrioleBeagle
11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Tom Z IS Brandon's problem! He needs to get out of Colorado Springs!

Jammers
11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
He's coached by Tom Z so no wonder why he skates like Rachael Flatt. Lack of speed skating skills and choreography.

centerpt1
11-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Does he have fans here?

I'm a fan!

He was injured at 2011 Nationals, but last season he got two GP medals.

He's also had a top 10 finish at Worlds.

I think we'll see him do much better this week.

Maybe even better than Abbott.

(especially since Abbott is stressing over lost skates)