PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:45 AM
I think Patrick can go for two totally different, off his comfort zone style for next season, just for the sake of playing around (just like V/M's Funny Face). Then back to the more serious, classical style for Olympic season.

geoskate
04-01-2012, 05:49 AM
I thought since he has not skated a perfect Aranjuez, he may want to keep it.

My recollection may be incorrect, but I thought he did skate it perfectly at Canadians. Perhaps someone with a better memory can confirm or correct that.

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:53 AM
My recollection may be incorrect, but I thought he did skate it perfectly at Canadians. Perhaps someone with a better memory can confirm or correct that.

No need, I've seen that performance on Youtube more than I ever want to admit. That's why I knew he was behind his music :lol:

Well, he was...99.99% perfect, not 100? But what I meant was at World.

fscric
04-01-2012, 06:30 AM
I don't think Patrick should keep Aranjuez for next year, he should get 2 new programmes. In one of his interviews he said he was bored with the music in the week leading to the World, so he didn't do as many run though as before. I can't imagine the criticism if he kept Aranjuez for next year, though it's obvious whatever Patrick does/decides warrants criticism to some people.

spikydurian
04-01-2012, 06:49 AM
I agree. I think his skates at the Canadian Nationals were the best ever. If he had brought that to the Worlds, I am sure he would have beaten his own 2011 record.

a56
04-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Why can't I speculate who's the most likely group of fans booing Patrick? I'm fine with criticism IF their criticism is reasonable and legit. If it's baseless accusation, then I'd like to challenge them to provide proof. That's me. Don't like it, just ignore me.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you said. I totally agree with you. If you notice on this board and on youtube, some of their fans have been very unkind to skaters who have challenged their top skaters. I would be completely unsurprised.

I just love Aranjuez as Patrick's music. It's just so emotional. Patrick's such a beautiful skater. I'm just really pleased with the winners of this year's worlds, but none more so than Patrick.

jl22aries
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you said. I totally agree with you. If you notice on this board and on youtube, some of their fans have been very unkind to skaters who have challenged their top skaters. I would be completely unsurprised.

I just love Aranjuez as Patrick's music. It's just so emotional. Patrick's such a beautiful skater. I'm just really pleased with the winners of this year's worlds, but none more so than Patrick.

Oh man you're right. I hadn't realized it but I too am really pleased with this year's winners. Completely satisfied my national bias (I do admit so myself), and Carolina's win was particularly sweet.

It occurs to me now, just how amazing Patrick has been this season. He's skated rather consistently, as he does every year starting out slower and then peaking. But to think this is the post-world's-win season, it's been especially impressive that this year he's seemed so business as usual. Think how many skaters have completely slumped in the year following their first World title. Think of how many skaters who've been on the podium the previous year having a bit of a slump. He had two super hard skates this week, and didn't crumble. Really good training, plus mental toughness.

jl22aries
04-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I am so compelled to send him a message congratulating him, if there's some way. On his website maybe? Not that he necessarily hinges on external affirmations, especially from a faceless little ol' me, but I'd like to represent one fan who thinks what he does is amazing. It's not just the phenomenal skating, but the mental and physical preparation and his tireless, otherworldly dedication that I am so in awe of, appreciate, and am inspired by.

elle123
04-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Just saw the new poll disguised as a Patrick bashing thread ... Is there a way to ignore an entire thread!? lol

It's a shame couldn't have had a clean skate for himself, but all this speculation of overscoring is ridiculous. Patrick only outscored Daisuke by 3 pts or so in the FS, it's not like he won by some astronomical number. Maybe all these critics need to try skating one of Patrick's programs before making all these claims.

Aussie Willy
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Just saw the new poll disguised as a Patrick bashing thread ... Is there a way to ignore an entire thread!? lol

Well the Nos are leading. So most people don't think he is overrated. And they will tick No without getting into any debates.

Of course those who want to bitch about him are going to be arguing to high heaven about how overrated he is.

spikydurian
04-01-2012, 11:21 AM
For his short program, something like Michael Jackson or someone similar. Would be out of his comfort zone. It can be a real spectacle--good or bad.

Besides Lori (who gets a bad rap, imo), I was thinking he should get choreo from maybe Buttle or Kurt.

OMG.. I cannot imagine Patrick doing a Michael Jackson. :lol: It's just not him. A more jazzy fun piece will suit him better.

Would be interesting for him to get another choreographer for one of his programs. I like Mannish Boy by David Wilson. It's a change to his usual gala pieces.

He needs to feel and like the music himself otherwise it's really hard to connect to it.

I will be very excited if he comes up with two new pieces for the next season. :swoon:

clarie
04-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Yes, about as perfect as one can get. :). I'm glad he will have 2 new programs. It might shut some of the naysayers up but don't count on it. It seems no matter what he says or how he skates some people will pounce.

It's also so nice to see how Patrick has respect for older people (his late coach, his parents). That is one part of the Chinese culture that I admire. Being senior myself, I find it refreshing. The article on Patrick and Colson brought a tear to my eye.

professordeb
04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Yaaaaaa Patrick. WTG getting that second World Title. It may not have been perfect but it was good enough.

Kudos to Kevin for putting up a very respectable 12th place finish - up from 20th last year - and getting 3 men qualified to represent Canada next year. This young man is getting the job done and I want to send a shout out to Shae Lynn for helping him get there.

WTG Team Canada!!!!!

VarBar
04-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Well, Patrick came up with a new gala program in Nice - Elegie by Rachmaninoff. He skated it just marvelously.:D

HSGP21
04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
His exhibition program epitomizes figure skating and all it should be. Took my breath away.