PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

clarie
04-01-2012, 01:29 AM
I'd like to give an honorable mention to Patrick's teammate, Kevin Reynolds. He did an admirable job and has improved tremendously over the past couple of years with his presentation (he was injured last year at World's). This year he put two pretty decent skates together to help get 3 spots for Canada next year..........Cudos to him as well as Patrick. :) I also think that Kevin does not get the presentation scores he deserves.

ali_dorate
04-01-2012, 03:34 AM
I'm impressed to read Patrick's comment on competing and winning on Mr.Colson's birthday.
Congratulations Patrick and thank you Mr.Colson!!

http://news.yahoo.com/chan-kostner-win-figure-skating-world-titles-233654882--spt.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sequins
04-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Yes in all this booing madness what's really important got lost. Kevin Reynolds did himself and Canada proud. I was very happy for him.
PJ Kwong had also mentioned earlier in the week about Mr. Colson's birthday and how nice it would be to win. I thought it was very touching and I'm sorry I forgot about it so thanks for reminding me. That article brings a tear to my eye and another:cheer: for Patrick!
Also I haven't seen Carolina's skate yet, and she's never been my fave but I'm very happy for her to finally do it. I know she's worked so hard and had a lot of disappointment.

spikydurian
04-01-2012, 04:41 AM
I'd like to give an honorable mention to Patrick's teammate, Kevin Reynolds. He did an admirable job and has improved tremendously over the past couple of years with his presentation (he was injured last year at World's). This year he put two pretty decent skates together to help get 3 spots for Canada next year..........Cudos to him as well as Patrick. :) I also think that Kevin does not get the presentation scores he deserves.
Oh yes, I hoping that Kevin will do well so that Canada can get three places. Congrats to Kevin too. Canada will have three men in London in 2012. Way to go. Lots of kangaroo and koala hugs from Oz.

The Accordion
04-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Blargh
I just removed Aunt Joyce from the people I follow on twitter. What poison!

manhn
04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm already over his World title. Yeah, congrats. I'm stuck in a hotel room and am totally bored. When will it stop raining!??!

About next season...although I would LOVE it if he skated something like East of Eden to piss people off (or better, something from Edvin Marton), these are my suggestions:

For his short program, something like Michael Jackson or someone similar. Would be out of his comfort zone. It can be a real spectacle--good or bad.

For his long program, maybe Egyptian music. Except I know nothing about Egyptian music except The Mummy and The Feeling Begins.

In both cases, they're potential crowd pleasers. Music an audience can get into.

Besides Lori (who gets a bad rap, imo), I was thinking he should get choreo from maybe Buttle or Kurt. And just for political purposes, someone Russian? Tatianna or Zhulin?

fscric
04-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Yes, I would love Patrick to work with other choreographers.

Bournekraatzfan
04-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Pucker up for more sour grapes.........

Booing at a figure skating competition shows classlessness no matter who the culprit is. If Brian really wanted to win he would have added some choreo and transitions and some edgework. Dai was great but he made a boo boo too. Patrick's superior speed and skating skills carried him with PC's. And yes, if he had not hit a rut, he probably would have broken his record. No matter what happens next season, I hope he never has to fall victim to that type of rudeness again. He shouldn't have to next year though because he'll be competing in Canada. That does not assure him a 3rd title because he will probably be nervous competing in Canada anyway and putting added pressure on himself........sorry I'm rambling :)

I'm just angry at the classlessness and poor sportsmanship of certain fans.:(

THIS.:respec:

and just expanding upon something you said: difficult choreo involves more than the upper body (though I do enjoy the way Brian moves his, especially in the SP). It is skating on one foot, using the edge, completing difficult turns, showing multi-directional skating. Yes, figure skating is a subjective sport, but how can anyone compare the programs of Brian and Patrick and not see a huge difference?

Patrick's boots are practically touching the ice, that's how deep his edges are. His speed is effortless, his choreography is complex, and he has strong non-jump elements. Look at how well-centred and fast his spins are (and note how he maintains that speed throughout). I honestly can't even begin to explain all the things that make Patrick so special because I don't have a lifetime to write this post.

Anyways, congratulations to Patrick and all the other skaters.

Debrah
04-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Good job Patrick, I think I actually appreciate him even more than I did before, if that's possible.

Defending is so much more pressure than simply chasing and Chan overcame all the many popular contenders gunning for him, as well as his own internal doubts.

I loved this free program, it had quality, movement that meant something to establish the character, and everthing contributed to the program creating a mood, and he certainly executed it well enough to win with some high quality jumps, and a display of excellent skating skills, etc., and thus continue his 1st place streak. Doing it even when you feel off your best game, have not practised well, now that is what really makes a champion, and so IMO Patrick deserves a lot of respect and applause. Thrilled for him.

I am also very proud of Kevin Reynolds who skated really well too. Kevin is so much improved this year. I think he was somewhat a victim of Chan's success, federation politics perhaps considering it was safe bet to have him somewhat undermarked and counting on both men skating well enough to still ensure 3 Canadian men for next year.

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Japanese are usually very polite but who knows.

Patrick said he heard the boos mixed in with the cheers so he thought they were cheering for him. A lot of Canadian fans who were cheering I am sure.

One more win for P this season - at the worlds team event and then he can work on next season's programs.

PJ said she is sorry to see the last of Aranjuez.... do you think P will get 2 new programs next year.

Patrick also said when interviewed that he was happy for the win and that next year he may win or lose but he is going to try his best as he moves towards Sochi.

Also what are everyone's thoughts about P spending more time in TO next year - I read that someplace too.

Really enjoyed these worlds - worth the two days of vac I took and ALL my picks won!

Next year I will be seeing him in London and I hope to get tickets for the Canadians as well.

So Chan's planning TWO new programs next season??? I thought since he has not skated a perfect Aranjuez, he may want to keep it.

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Gee, you get all bent out of shape if anyone criticizes Patrick for whatever reason, and now, you're insinuating that the Japanese fans were booing him? That's real classy of you.

Why can't I speculate who's the most likely group of fans booing Patrick? I'm fine with criticism IF their criticism is reasonable and legit. If it's baseless accusation, then I'd like to challenge them to provide proof. That's me. Don't like it, just ignore me.

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Next year I will be seeing him in London and I hope to get tickets for the Canadians as well.
My friend and I were talking about going to see it too. When do you plan to get tix? I find it's a bit early, no? I'm thinking maybe Sep...prob bad seats though...haha.

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Responding to the above post on combos that Patrick missed, he didn't miss the 4-3 because he tacked it on beautifully to the second 4t. Yes, he did miss the triple on the end of the lutz though it was still a combo, so the only combo missed was I think one more on the flip towards the end as he was running out of time.

I wonder why he's so behind his music? His footwork was a bit slow so he was behind his music? I think maybe he should learn for next season, if the same problem comes up, find a way to skip certain part, maybe one less rotation on a spin or something.... I think he was caught off guard and had no idea what to do, so he lost his concentration during 2A.

jettasian
04-01-2012, 05:34 AM
I'm already over his World title. Yeah, congrats. I'm stuck in a hotel room and am totally bored. When will it stop raining!??!

About next season...although I would LOVE it if he skated something like East of Eden to piss people off (or better, something from Edvin Marton), these are my suggestions:

For his short program, something like Michael Jackson or someone similar. Would be out of his comfort zone. It can be a real spectacle--good or bad.

For his long program, maybe Egyptian music. Except I know nothing about Egyptian music except The Mummy and The Feeling Begins.

In both cases, they're potential crowd pleasers. Music an audience can get into.

Besides Lori (who gets a bad rap, imo), I was thinking he should get choreo from maybe Buttle or Kurt. And just for political purposes, someone Russian? Tatianna or Zhulin?

Why? People don't like East of Eden? I thought most people are sick of Carmen and Swan Lake. SL should have an auto -3GOE whoever skate to it next season :lol:

I think Lori is fine. Her choreo is great and can create lots of complexity footwork to highlight Patrick's skill. I for once believe, if it doesn't break, don't fix. Maybe he can try SP with someone, but should keep Lori for LP.

pat c
04-01-2012, 05:43 AM
I don't like EofE. (shrug) But I think Nichols does awesome choreo for some skaters like MK and Paddy. It would be nice to get different music like Artsakh. No one has ever done justice to that one and it's even middle eastern to appease bored skating fans stuck in hotel rooms. ;)