PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Emdee
03-31-2012, 07:40 PM
I too think it was a rut -the way his foot turned.

Yes, Patrick was not at his best but the job was done - the first part was fabulous.

jettasian
03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I was puzzled by the audience response as well. It's an athletic competition, not a popularity contest.

I don't think it would have been the French people in the audience; if it was, then French figure-skating fans are far ruder than the normal French people I have known. It's rather strange.

In any case, congratulations to Patrick on his second world title! This skate wasn't up to his definitive performance of this program at Canadians, but it was still very good considering the pressure he was under.

I may get into trouble for saying this...but I believe there were lots of Japanese fans in the audience.

jettasian
03-31-2012, 09:33 PM
^ I think the fans thought Brian should have won a medal (considering his program was cleaner than Patrick's), but he didn't. They probably also thought that Dai should have won over Patrick.

I was also thinking that Brian didn't get bronze was the reason as well. But I think the boo is also for Patrick. Who knows, who cares, Patrick won 2nd world, that's great for Canada :)

jettasian
03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
I too think it was a rut -the way his foot turned.

Yes, Patrick was not at his best but the job was done - the first part was fabulous.

If it were not for that waxel....he might even have broken his world LP record. I'm pretty sure he's going for a combination there, and it ended up costing him at least 5-8 points?

Emdee
03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Japanese are usually very polite but who knows.

Patrick said he heard the boos mixed in with the cheers so he thought they were cheering for him. A lot of Canadian fans who were cheering I am sure.

One more win for P this season - at the worlds team event and then he can work on next season's programs.

PJ said she is sorry to see the last of Aranjuez.... do you think P will get 2 new programs next year.

Patrick also said when interviewed that he was happy for the win and that next year he may win or lose but he is going to try his best as he moves towards Sochi.

Also what are everyone's thoughts about P spending more time in TO next year - I read that someplace too.

Really enjoyed these worlds - worth the two days of vac I took and ALL my picks won!

Next year I will be seeing him in London and I hope to get tickets for the Canadians as well.

clarie
03-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Pucker up for more sour grapes.........

Booing at a figure skating competition shows classlessness no matter who the culprit is. If Brian really wanted to win he would have added some choreo and transitions and some edgework. Dai was great but he made a boo boo too. Patrick's superior speed and skating skills carried him with PC's. And yes, if he had not hit a rut, he probably would have broken his record. No matter what happens next season, I hope he never has to fall victim to that type of rudeness again. He shouldn't have to next year though because he'll be competing in Canada. That does not assure him a 3rd title because he will probably be nervous competing in Canada anyway and putting added pressure on himself........sorry I'm rambling :)

I'm just angry at the classlessness and poor sportsmanship of certain fans.:(

jl22aries
03-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm a so happy for Patrick! I am sure he's continuing to learn about all those things that come with experience, and "tough skates/competitions" can be used to teach him about himself, and to be stronger and stronger mentally as he heads into the most challenging competitions in the next two years. Congrats Patrick!

The Accordion
03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm just angry at the classlessness and poor sportsmanship of certain fans.:(

You know I can't stop thinking about it -and I am really hoping that PC doesn't give it too much weight. :(

jl22aries
03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
You know I can't stop thinking about it -and I am really hoping that PC doesn't give it too much weight. :(

Even if he does give weight to it, it's such a great learning tool for TRUE belief in self. If he can learn to focus completely on his goals and still trust his training and honour his natural talent in lieu of external negativity, that's the sign of a truly strong and at peace individual.

clarie
03-31-2012, 10:27 PM
I am very proud of him, being so young, and under so much pressure (more than last year to be sure) to defend his title. Yes, it is a tough learning experience for him, but will stand him in good stead in the future.

ponta1
03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm not going to name names...but we all know which group is very vocal. This just shows how classy some fans were. I'm okay if they booed the judges but the athletes, come on. And in fact, the outcome's pretty good, I'd have given Joubert the bronze instead of Hanyu.

and

I may get into trouble for saying this...but I believe there were lots of Japanese fans in the audience.

Gee, you get all bent out of shape if anyone criticizes Patrick for whatever reason, and now, you're insinuating that the Japanese fans were booing him? That's real classy of you.

spikydurian
03-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Japanese are usually very polite but who knows.
I agree. They are generally more restrained and polite. Probably the French crowd since Brian didn't win anything. Anyway, who cares. Patrick won. :D

Next year I will be seeing him in London and I hope to get tickets for the Canadians as well.

Lucky you. I am very envious.

clarie
03-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Yep...main thing is Patrick won :D

lauravvv
04-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Congratulations to Patrick and his fans! In truth, I like Daisuke better, and I would have wanted Patrick to win with a clean skate, if he had to win. But I still can admit that he was a bit better than Dai - mostly because of his two perfect quads and his SS.

nlyoung
04-01-2012, 01:26 AM
2, a quad/3 and the lutz/half loop/2sal

Responding to the above post on combos that Patrick missed, he didn't miss the 4-3 because he tacked it on beautifully to the second 4t. Yes, he did miss the triple on the end of the lutz though it was still a combo, so the only combo missed was I think one more on the flip towards the end as he was running out of time.