PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

VarBar
03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I was so nervous because reading the practice reports it seemed that he was really having difficulties landing the quads. Tonight wasn't his best skate, finished behind the music and had a few jumping mistakes. That just shows how much of a fighter he is to land the BEAUTIFUL quad and quad triple. That waxel was hilarious, even his coaches were poking fun at him towards the end.

:lol: I'd say it's sort of typical of Patrick to lose his focus on simple elements but I knew he had won in spite of that mistake because I thought he had done enough by the missed 2 axel in order to score high on the technical mark adding to his unbeatable components, the artistry in his long program was just breath-taking IMO and it seems that the judges agreed with me.:D

Congratulations to him on his second world title. Keep up the good work, Patrick!:kickass:

sequins
03-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Interesting just saw the replay on CBC. Kurt said the way Patrick's blade went into the axel was so weird that it wasn't even really a 'waxel'. He was wondering if it wasn't a rut in the ice.

Scott Russell interviewed Patrick starting out by saying never without drama:) Patrick just said it was hard skating last and difficult this year in defending the title. Said it was the hardest comp. yet and he learned a lot. Then said regarding the ending missed axel he was almost like of course I had to do something like and called it 'a touch of Patrick':lol:

jettasian
03-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Congrats to Patrick, well deserved! I know that he's not as popular as the Japanese men, but it's very rude for the crowd to boo. And overall, I think he is still the rightful winner.

BTW, I don't remember...did he have 2 or 3 combination jumps?

jettasian
03-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Congrats to the two-time World champion. :) I hope he'll find ways to improve his mental game still more as a result of his experiences this week.

Yup

2011 - improving technical jumps, CHECK
2012 - improving artistry, CHECK
2013 - to improve mental toughness.

If he's so nervous now, I just can't imagine how he will be like in Sochi. The expectation and pressure will be overwhelming. That's why for next season, I'd prefer him to lose a couple of competitions (still win the big ones, of course). It may lift that pressure off of him for not needing to win every competition.

puglover
03-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm really thrilled for Patrick. I can't even imagine that kind of pressure. I get that this isn't brain surgery but when my own kids skated I wanted valium in the vein. So many things can go wrong. I get cheering for the newbies who have a great skate but only time will tell how they handle the pressure. I doubt much else in life will seem insurmountable after this.

sequins
03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Congrats to Patrick, well deserved! I know that he's not as popular as the Japanese men, but it's very rude for the crowd to boo. And overall, I think he still the rightfully winner.

BTW, I don't remember...did he have 2 or 3 combination jumps?

2, a quad/3 and the lutz/half loop/2sal

jettasian
03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh lord! Elvis is on CBC news 'analyzing' the skate. Saying Brezina should've won the SP and 'Dai-suki' is the best skater in the world but Chan has great edge quality and could compete with the ice dancers and is almost there, but is the 'so-called' greatest and yet still makes mistakes. Okay Elvis I thought artistry wasn't important I thought you might say Joubert should've won. Isn't it all jumps for you?
BTW I'm not arguing Daisuke's greatness I love him but I just always feel like Elvis wants to trash all over the Canadian men sometimes first Jeff and now Pat and why? To hold onto his legacy? For me he just taints it more and more everytime he opens his mouth. Why can't he show some support, you know like the support he received from both Kurt and Brian. It'd be nice once in awhile.
I never liked Stojko, he's one of the worst winners for me. I think he's still bitter for whatever reason.

The Accordion
03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Congratulations Patrick on doing one of the toughest things if not THE toughest thing of your career - defending your title.

No it was not perfect - but he gave it his all.

You know - I can understand that some of the audience wanted to let the judge's know they disagreed with the marks/ results but it is bull$hit to keep whistling and booing all through the medal presentations.

What exactly did PATRICK do other than try his best through a ton of pressure?

There were an awful lot of falls and less than stellar performances from others that were not booed - so it is obviously the result they have issues with. It is unbelievably rude to boo an athlete who had no control over the results.

Shame on you figure skating "fans"

jettasian
03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
2, a quad/3 and the lutz/half loop/2sal

Thx. That's what I thought...and I think he's going to do the last combo with the 2A. So that fall was very costly.

jettasian
03-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Congratulations Patrick on doing one of the toughest things if not THE toughest thing of your career - defending your title.

No it was not perfect - but he gave it his all.

You know - I can understand that some of the audience wanted to let the judge's know they disagreed with the marks/ results but it is bull$hit to keep whistling and booing all through the medal presentations.

What exactly did PATRICK do other than try his best through a ton of pressure?

There were an awful lot of falls and less than stellar performances from others that were not booed - so it is obviously the result they have issues with. It is unbelievably rude to boo an athlete who had no control over the results.

Shame on you figure skating "fans"

I'm not going to name names...but we all know which group is very vocal. This just shows how classy some fans were. I'm okay if they booed the judges but the athletes, come on. And in fact, the outcome's pretty good, I'd have given Joubert the bronze instead of Hanyu.

puglover
03-31-2012, 06:36 PM
I couldn't even watch Elvis when he skated at the Calgary Stampede several years ago and I used to be a fan of his. I like him less and less. What he says does not even seem consistent. Why must Canada have such uninformed media report for the papers and then ask a hypocrite like Elvis.

elle123
03-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Congrats Champ! 2x WORLD CHAMPION!!!:respec:

What is up with that crowd? Patrick deserved it. It wasn't a landslide,and I'm sorry he certainly wasn't perfect but he certainly didn't do enough to lose. I always wished he'd do a perfect skate at Worlds and shut everyone up but I've come to realize that probably won't work either. Haters will always hate, but that was just rude and very undeserved. I felt bad for him. BTW anyone else think he looked scared to death.
I thought that like the dance it was a very well skated event. Takahashi was great, Hanyu :swoon: my first intro to him. I can't wait to see what he does in the future I'll be watching. He had me all choked up.

Oh lord! Elvis is on CBC news 'analyzing' the skate. Saying Brezina should've won the SP and 'Dai-suki' is the best skater in the world but Chan has great edge quality and could compete with the ice dancers and is almost there, but is the 'so-called' greatest and yet still makes mistakes. Okay Elvis I thought artistry wasn't important I thought you might say Joubert should've won. Isn't it all jumps for you?
BTW I'm not arguing Daisuke's greatness I love him but I just always feel like Elvis wants to trash all over the Canadian men sometimes first Jeff and now Pat and why? To hold onto his legacy? For me he just taints it more and more everytime he opens his mouth. Why can't he show some support, you know like the support he received from both Kurt and Brian. It'd be nice once in awhile.

I know ... that crowd was really rude - maybe it was because of Joubert not making the podium? Who knows.

And I also wonder why Elvis is so hard on Patrick. I tend to just ignore him because most of his comments have little merit IMO. If figure skating was all about jumps, it would be called ice jumping and that event would not be nearly as fun to watch.

geoskate
03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
I was puzzled by the audience response as well. It's an athletic competition, not a popularity contest.

I don't think it would have been the French people in the audience; if it was, then French figure-skating fans are far ruder than the normal French people I have known. It's rather strange.

In any case, congratulations to Patrick on his second world title! This skate wasn't up to his definitive performance of this program at Canadians, but it was still very good considering the pressure he was under.

a56
03-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Congratulations Patrick! 2 time World Champion! I'm so pleased for Canada. My favorite men's skater and my favorite dance team both becoming 2 time World Champions! :swoon:

Booing an athlete is never acceptable. It just shows a lack of class and manners on the part of that audience. Hosting an event is a privilege, and you don't want people to leave the event with a bad taste in their mouth from the audience reaction.

smarts1
03-31-2012, 07:39 PM
^ I think the fans thought Brian should have won a medal (considering his program was cleaner than Patrick's), but he didn't. They probably also thought that Dai should have won over Patrick.